Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• DuckDogDr
    DuckDogDr Posts: 1,549
    Just waking up from a solid 25 hour straight slumber. Either DuckDog held it or figured out Duckcat’s toilet box. 
    Exhausted from work… 100+hours a week caught up with me. Been cleaning house and doing laundry
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    DuckDogDr said:
    @Battleborn
    where are you traveling? Are you hiking ?
    We are in Northern California, just south of the Oregon border. We did a little bit of hiking, nothing major. Mostly spent time on the beach enjoying the water. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,229
    edited July 2022
    Got the AC fixed.  Finally tracked the odd failure mode to a safety switch I have never seen.  A condensate safety switch. The switch is wired between the 24V power line and the thermostat. It attaches to the auxiliary drain port on the condensate pan. This particular switch isn't a hard cut-off either, it would show a voltage drop before going to zero so got some weird low voltage issues right as condensate in the switch got to high.  I had never seen a setup like this, the auxiliary drain on all my other houses has a second stand pipe as a vent, not a switch.

When the AC shut off, the water flow was such that it pulled into the switch.  So AC worked, but once it shutoff, it also lost power at the thermostat.  I checked drain pan and drain lines, and they all appeared ok.  I removed, cleaned, and reseated the switch.  So far it is all working.  I also confirmed I could replicate failure by turning the switch upside down.

I am sure a competent technician would have spotted this immediately, but I am chuffed I have AC again, and I learned something new.

Prior to cleaning and reseating.  The pan was dry, but water accumulated in the little chamber.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    50% humidity. You’re funny @Ozzie_Isaac
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,949
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Our system has a similar switch. I like the fact that I can take the switch out of the 90 degree elbow to do monthly maintenance on the external drain line. Need to do that here where average humidity in June, July, and August is 79%.

The maintenance is pretty simple, take out the switch and pour a cup of vinegar down the drain line. If I feel the need I can take the shop vac outside and pull the water thru the drain line. Now with the new system and the MERV11 filters I haven't had problems with condensation.

Failure to maintain that line can plug the drain line with dust that didn't get trapped by the filter and water creating a sludge that causes water to backup and dump underneath the unit in the air intake area. Cleaning up wet carpet and padding is not a fun thing. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,065
    SamIAm2 said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - Our system has a similar switch. I like the fact that I can take the switch out of the 90 degree elbow to do monthly maintenance on the external drain line. Need to do that here where average humidity in June, July, and August is 79%.

The maintenance is pretty simple, take out the switch and pour a cup of vinegar down the drain line. If I feel the need I can take the shop vac outside and pull the water thru the drain line. Now with the new system and the MERV11 filters I haven't had problems with condensation.

Failure to maintain that line can plug the drain line with dust that didn't get trapped by the filter and water creating a sludge that causes water to backup and dump underneath the unit in the air intake area. Cleaning up wet carpet and padding is not a fun thing. 
    Couple questions, Is this a Heat Pump or FAU? Is there a Trap below ( what appears to be) floor grade?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,949
    lkapigian said:
    SamIAm2 said:

Couple questions, Is this a Heat Pump or FAU? Is there a Trap below ( what appears to be) floor grade?
    @Ikapigian- It's a Residential Split System AC and Heat Pump. This unit is not at floor grade but on a large, raised box built over the home's concrete slab to allow air intake at floor level, as was common in Florida homes built in 1968. Air space under the unit is 40" wide X 27" deep X 14" high.

Added a large return air duct from the rear bedroom vents, thru the attic to the new unit to pull more air than the previous inadequate air intakes for the old unit. 

There is a PVC chase in the floor, directly under the unit to the outside of the concrete block wall for all the connections to the external unit and the drain pipe. 

Replacing the filter on the one remaining, original air intake after the installation of both inside and outside units the following winter was fun. Had a black snake come in thru the chase to escape the cold. When I removed the grate and pulled out the filter to replace it, I frightened the snake and it made a hasty retreat out thru the chase.

Don't know how long the snake had been keeping itself warm under there. SWMBO was not well please. Dug the sand away from the exterior of the chase, put down weed mat and a whole lot of river rocks after that happened. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • lkapigian
    SamIAm2 said:
    lkapigian said:
    SamIAm2 said:

@Ikapigian- It's a Residential Split System AC and Heat Pump. This unit is not at floor grade but on a large, raised box built over the home's concrete slab to allow air intake at floor level, as was common in Florida homes built in 1968. Air space under the unit is 40" wide X 27" deep X 14" high.

Added a large return air duct from the rear bedroom vents, thru the attic to the new unit to pull more air than the previous inadequate air intakes for the old unit. 

There is a PVC chase in the floor, directly under the unit to the outside of the concrete block wall for all the connections to the external unit and the drain pipe. 

Replacing the filter on the one remaining, original air intake after the installation of both inside and outside units the following winter was fun. Had a black snake come in thru the chase to escape the cold. When I removed the grate and pulled out the filter to replace it, I frightened the snake and it made a hasty retreat out thru the chase.

Don't know how long the snake had been keeping itself warm under there. SWMBO was not well please. Dug the sand away from the exterior of the chase, put down weed mat and a whole lot of river rocks after that happened. 
    Thanks for the info , I noticed the indoor coil was on the return which is fine for a Heat Pump but a major no no on Gas Fired Equipment 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Playing with my AC.  Have issue narrowed down to safety switch, 24v doohickey, or the board on the furnace unit.
    Playing with mine too. Just called the guy to come fix it. Hot in here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Playing with my AC.  Have issue narrowed down to safety switch, 24v doohickey, or the board on the furnace unit.
    Playing with mine too. Just called the guy to come fix it. Hot in here.
    I'm killing it. Guy just showed up and he's out there in the 102 degree heat. He said the compressor is not running so I'm going with that. 

I glad I'm so handy...with a phone lol
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,502
    It has been confirmed, I have officially made it. My family has become so damn boujee that my wife is crying about a hotel that she booked on our way back home. The only problem with this hotel is that the rooms open to the outside and it is slightly outdated. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lkapigian
    edited July 2022
    @lkapigian will get a kick out of this one. $532 for 2 capacitor/relay kits and labor lol. And I was thrilled to pay it. We are leaving town for 10 days tomorrow at 9am. My youngest and a friend showed up to house sit and take care of the dog and it was 90 degrees in my living room. 106 tomorrow and 100's every day in the 10-day forecast.  I live in the country. Dude was here in 30 minutes and ac was blowing cold within an hour of my call. I wanted to hug him. 

Edit to add- I called him at 4:10pm on a Friday afternoon
    Edit2 to add- this dude is hired for life
    I hear ya, we bang capacitors out all day right now, avg ticket though a bit less… 

its 108 this weekend, 250 on Saturday, 350 on Sunday just to come say hi … prepaid ( we do this to keep space open for our contract customers)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    You could have whacked it with a stick to get it spinning @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    It has been confirmed, I have officially made it. My family has become so damn boujee that my wife is crying about a hotel that she booked on our way back home. The only problem with this hotel is that the rooms open to the outside and it is slightly outdated. 
    We got to Breckinridge last week at some granola hotel my wife booked.  We need three sleeping spots.  This one was a futon, a sofa bed and a fvckin Eno OVER the “bed.”   We were lucky they allowed us to cancel on the spot.  Wound up in an executive suite in a brand new Hotel Indigo in Silverthorne.  At a very big premium.  

I feel your pain. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,599
    The good news-your ( @Battleborn and @theyolksonyou) fingerprints were not on the deals!!  Take extreme comfort in that.  And being old I have now learned the meaning of boujee.  
    Learn something new dang near every day here!
    Good luck with the remaining adventures.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Huh; I actually prefer that ('cept during a storm).  
    I always thought the difference between a motel and a hotel was that a motel was just a single story, but maybe its outside vs inside room entrances?  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    edited July 2022
    @lousubcap Here is a song about boujee

https://youtu.be/S-sJp1FfG7Q

Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• theyolksonyou
    Botch said:
    I always thought the difference between a motel and a hotel was that a motel was just a single story, but maybe its outside vs inside room entrances?  
    I stayed in a joint last month in Milan(work).  It had both a motel and a hotel on the same property.  The motel was hourly and had themed rooms.  🤷‍♀️
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,161
    Botch said:
    I stayed in a joint last month in Milan(work).  It had both a motel and a hotel on the same property.  The motel was hourly and had themed rooms.  🤷‍♀️
    How do you say “No Tell Mo-tel” in Italian?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    edited July 2022
    Botch said:
    Non dirlo al motel

Doesn’t exactly have the same ring
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,059
    Botch said:
    My last band's lead singer/bassist had a very successful wife, working in the pawn industry.  They were moved to Pahrump, NV.  One residence they looked at had many rooms, all with outside entrances, no connecting hallways.  She finally said "No" when they realized it had been a brothel.   :D  

I asked my German friend if he knew the square root of 81.  He said no.  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,220
    Botch said:
    The great poet Snoop Dogg once said “Hoetel motel Holiday Innnnnnnnn”
    I completely forgot about Chingy. That's funny. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,766
    WeberWho said:
    Botch said:
    The great poet Snoop Dogg once said “Hoetel motel Holiday Innnnnnnnn”
    I completely forgot about Chingy. That's funny. 
    Ha! It was the anthem that summer
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,629

Dying breed right there. Ain't no service people picking up after 2pm on Friday!  This dude gets Thanksgiving invite! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • You could have whacked it with a stick to get it spinning @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Yeah- when it’s 105 for the foreseeable future and guests are in my house and I’m out of town,  “whacking with a stick” is not on my radar lol. Plus, I would have to know it was a capacitor to know to whack it with a stick. And what a capacitor looks like… I think you get the picture. 
  • lkapigian said:
    @lkapigian will get a kick out of this one. $532 for 2 capacitor/relay kits and labor lol. And I was thrilled to pay it. We are leaving town for 10 days tomorrow at 9am. My youngest and a friend showed up to house sit and take care of the dog and it was 90 degrees in my living room. 106 tomorrow and 100's every day in the 10-day forecast.  I live in the country. Dude was here in 30 minutes and ac was blowing cold within an hour of my call. I wanted to hug him. 

I hear ya, we bang capacitors out all day right now, avg ticket though a bit less… 

its 108 this weekend, 250 on Saturday, 350 on Sunday just to come say hi … prepaid ( we do this to keep space open for our contract customers)
    They were $90 to say hi and the rest was parts and labor. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 8,110
    You could have whacked it with a stick to get it spinning @The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Yeah- when it’s 105 for the foreseeable future and guests are in my house and I’m out of town,  “whacking with a stick” is not on my radar lol. Plus, I would have to know it was a capacitor to know to whack it with a stick. And what a capacitor looks like… I think you get the picture. 
    Lol I heard that. More of a PSA I guess, if your ac doesn’t work and the fan is not spinning outside or the air handler fan inside you can try to tap the fan blades with something to get them spinning, this might buy you some time until you can get a capacitor.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.