Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Where you at, Ozzie? Grub looks good. 
  • Campbell2N
    Campbell2N Posts: 101
    Options

Dangggg that looks good. Going to need some details on that!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,460
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Austin.  My son came here for a conference so I tagged along.  That food is from Terry Blacks.  Not on anyone’s top list, but I really like it.  We eat here almost everytime we come this way.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,432
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac

Austin.  My son came here for a conference so I tagged along.  That food is from Terry Blacks.  Not on anyone’s top list, but I really like it.  We eat here almost everytime we come this way.
    I feel like Terry Blacks is always mentioned when people talk about the central Texas BBQ scene. I am envious. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @acn

Nice collection of photos. What took you to Montreal? 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,666
    edited June 20
    Options
    Ozzie_Isaac said:
    Austin.  My son came here for a conference so I tagged along.  
    Was it "5th Street" that had all the clubs, restaurants and music?  I went on a lot of TDYs there (Lockheed-Martin) around '87, and had SO much fun on that street, especially during the Pecan Festival(s).  Last time I was there the drinking age had gone up to 21, and it was kinda dead.   :s  

Forget "partying" like it's 1999; just let me shop like that again.  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,723
    Options
    @acn

Nice collection of photos. What took you to Montreal? 
    Nice. How was the lineup at 4?
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,901
    edited June 20
    Options
    Corv said:

I bet everyone’s beester was tight when that rocket made those initial zig zags. 

I expect the course was true, but in the time since lift-off the winds caused the trail to look like that.
    Years ago I watched Apollo 11 lift off and after it was well on its way, the trail became a giant question mark. By then, nobody was around to notice. Everyone had gone to their TVs.
    You are blessed to have witnessed history before your very eyes.  Talk about stones...
    What an achievement across the entire spectrum.  
    America was at the top of its scientific and engineering game back then.  
    Edit-a continuation of the Manhattan Project talents and singular focus.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,902
    Options
    You must be fully onboard with the T20 cricket now, right?  
    Decent showing against South Africa yesterday in the Super 8,  and you've got England on Sunday which could be highly influential. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Taco Tuesday delayed, home grown Carolina Reapers 

On a 1-10 scale, how hot was that taco @dobie?  And so we can appreciate your scale, where would you rate the average "medium" and the average "hot" chicken wing?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,989
    Options
    Dobie said:

thats a spicy taco. i may have had to mince that smaller.....
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,942
    Options
    Dobie said:

Beautiful Reapers !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,420
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:

On a 1-10 scale, how hot was that taco @dobie?  And so we can appreciate your scale, where would you rate the average "medium" and the average "hot" chicken wing?
    Heat is so subjective and your tolerance increases over time so what I think is mild is another’s hot but if I had to put a number on that taco I would say a 7. I eased into that since I never had reapers before, you don’t find them for sale around here. 
    Chicken wing scale LOL 
    I would say most restaurants I’ve ordered them from are on the lower end of my heat scale than the description they provide. Most just don’t have many customers wanting truly upper end heat so it’s not going to be a big seller. I typically order the hottest they offer and 90% I could double it. I haven’t had the real thing since I haven’t been there but got a local version of Nashville hot chicken sandwich a couple years ago and it was fire. Went back later and it wasn’t on the menu anymore, said wasn’t selling. 

Jacksonville FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,323
    Options
    I think I have a pretty well-developed tolerance for spicy foods, but I once made the mistake of ordering a dish at the “Thai hot” spicy level at an authentic Thai restaurant.  I won’t be doing that again anytime soon.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,542
    Options
    I think I have a pretty well-developed tolerance for spicy foods, but I once made the mistake of ordering a dish at the “Thai hot” spicy level at an authentic Thai restaurant.  I won’t be doing that again anytime soon.
    Oh, I did that too. I mean I eat pickeled jalopenos whole ... they're nothing. I compete with my Bangali friends in terms of spice level ... but there was that one time in a Thai restaurant I asked for hot ... and I actually stopped the waitress and said ... but properly hot ... not like I say hot and then it's mild because most customers really can't take hot.

Well the dish came out ... first bite ... wow, second bite ... I'm sweating, third bite ... I can feel my heart beat in my temples ... throat becoming constricted ... it was INSANE.  I couldn't eat the dish ... I've never had to bail on a plate before ... NEVER AGAIN ... I was humbled.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i usually find scorpians to grow and find them to be fine but this from google cracks me up

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion can pack just as hot of a punch as the Reaper does, yet provides an almost fruity, cotton-candy-like flavor

fukahwee maine

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,460
    Options
    i usually find scorpians to grow and find them to be fine but this from google cracks me up

Trinidad Moruga Scorpion can pack just as hot of a punch as the Reaper does, yet provides an almost fruity, cotton-candy-like flavor

I use reapers in my ferments.  They add great heat to the ferments.  I have tried adding scorpions but they are absolutely fruity and impart to much of that flavor to the ferments.  I stopped using them for that reason.
    No philosophers so thoroughly comprehend us as dogs and horses. - Herman Melville
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,831
    Options
    I love spicy food but it boils my guts unfortunately.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    @Ozzie_Isaac if you and your son have the time, I highly recommend a place downtown called Qi.  Might have the best soup dumplings I have ever had.  They also have this truffle/egg fried rice that is pretty damn good as well.  Also if you guys are going to grab a cocktail, check out The Roosevelt Room.  It is a cool bar that does cocktails by the era.  Really good drinks and cool atmosphere.  @Botch that is 6th street you are thinking of.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • fishlessman
    Options

I use reapers in my ferments.  They add great heat to the ferments.  I have tried adding scorpions but they are absolutely fruity and impart to much of that flavor to the ferments.  I stopped using them for that reason.

i mostly use them on a tray of nachos, i think the true heat disappears but some that have eaten disagree. most get dried for later use in chilis etc.  mostly grow ghost, scorpian, and thai but it depends on what the nursery is carrying and the size plant they sell, short growing season here. no flowers on the plants yet and they have to be ripe by mid september latest so its always a crap shoot with the growing season
    fukahwee maine

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,927
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:

Heat is so subjective and your tolerance increases over time so what I think is mild is another’s hot but if I had to put a number on that taco I would say a 7. I eased into that since I never had reapers before, you don’t find them for sale around here. 
    Chicken wing scale LOL 
    I would say most restaurants I’ve ordered them from are on the lower end of my heat scale than the description they provide. Most just don’t have many customers wanting truly upper end heat so it’s not going to be a big seller. I typically order the hottest they offer and 90% I could double it. I haven’t had the real thing since I haven’t been there but got a local version of Nashville hot chicken sandwich a couple years ago and it was fire. Went back later and it wasn’t on the menu anymore, said wasn’t selling. 

That tells me what I need to know.  

Like @fishlessman, I'd chop them smaller.  I'd also use about 5% as much per taco as you did - at least for starters.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dobie
    Options
    My wife has zero heat tolerance, none so we don’t typically go to places known for spicy foods.
    On top of that she’s not adventurous with food either, no seafood only chicken, beef, turkey and a minimal amount of pork.
    Shes asked me before if something was hot and I said no and she took a bite and punched me 💪
    I don’t know why she even asks me anymore, she says my tastebuds are fried 😆

Also if I’m really pushing my heat limits it’s not pretty, eyes watering, nose dripping etc so not trying to do that in a restaurant typically but have on occasion. Before I started growing my on habaneros I picked them up at the grocery store, had a grocery clerk warn me one time they were too hot stay away like I didn’t know what I was getting myself into LOL
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:

Chicken wing scale LOL 

That tells me what I need to know.  

Like @fishlessman, I'd chop them smaller.  I'd also use about 5% as much per taco as you did - at least for starters.
    Do you eat habaneros? If so go about 1/3 the amount on reapers would be a starting point. 
    To me the flavor profile is similar but more heat, these are about 2.5 times as hot I would say but the range on the same peppers can vary quite a bit and I have nothing to compare these two peppers to know where they land on it. That was a pretty fine chop for me, just looks bigger in pics. I would have had twice the amount and much larger chop of habaneros on a taco and add some ghost pepper sauce to it to get me sweating. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,737
    Options
    This made me laugh.  I used to work with a guy that always ordered Thai hot, Desi hot, ordered the hottest wings wherever we were, etc.  He freely admitted he had burned out his taste buds years ago being a pepper head and now just orders hot so he can taste something.

There are two Thai places in town that we frequent, at one we order spicy and the other we order medium spicy, that's just how their spicy scales align. My wife got that mixed up one night when getting takeout and it took a lot longer to get through dinner than normal that night.
    Not a felon
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,384
    Options
    RIP Hawkeye Pierce 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,323
    edited June 20
    Options
    Legume said:
    This made me laugh.  I used to work with a guy that always ordered Thai hot, Desi hot, ordered the hottest wings wherever we were, etc.  He freely admitted he had burned out his taste buds years ago being a pepper head and now just orders hot so he can taste something.

There are two Thai places in town that we frequent, at one we order spicy and the other we order medium spicy, that's just how their spicy scales align. My wife got that mixed up one night when getting takeout and it took a lot longer to get through dinner than normal that night.
    The restaurant had spicy ratings from 1-5, but the people I were with told me that there was an off-menu heat level called only “Thai hot”.  That was enough of a challenge for me.  

When I asked the waitress for it she gave me this look like “you sure white boy?”  Yes, I said, I’m pretty sure I can handle it.  Then the manager came out to double check, making it absolutely certain that I wanted it as hot as authentic Thai people like their food.  That probably should’ve been the big red flag that got me to back down, but, alas…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike