Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tormek T-1 Kitchen Knife Sharpener

Options
Botch
Botch Posts: 15,471
The woodworkers on the forum are already familiar with Tormek; they make high-quality, expensive sharpeners with a large range of accessories to sharpen almost anything.
Well, they've made a kitchen knife-specific sharpener, only $350!  Pretty damn huge, though...

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-T-1-Review-W313C309.aspx?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=2022AJAN

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    MACHO! Besides that price to over come I think I'd also have an issue just where to store that beast in my kitchen or pantry! Garage maybe?... :)

BTW I sent you a PM earlier tonight which you MIGHT want to read!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    @Botch
    Did you or anyone else ever buy one of these?
    I'm asking because as usual I did some research and just ordered one.
    This will the third time I ordered my last knife sharpening system. B)
  • Botch
    Options
    I haven't (gone back to waterstones); make sure to let us know how you like it.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Hungry Joe
    Options
    Will do.
    Tormek has a good reputation but I until this unit came out most of their set ups did too much with a high price to match.
    I'm afraid to use stones on my good knives because I know I'll mess them up.

Maybe having this I'll start toying with stones knowing I have a recovery route.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Looking forward to your review.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I ordered one too.  I’ll post my review once I get a chance to use.
    Options
    I ordered one from Santa and she forgot 👎. I’ll just order it myself. 
    LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    This is a terrible, no good, bad place.  I cannot store anymore devices.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am curious I am curious as well. I will certainly look forward to the reviews. I have several, and all are past their prime, definitely in the market.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    We are waiting 😀
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited January 2023
    Options
    @Hungry Joe has decided to leave his career and the forum to perse a new passion.  Sharpening knives at Farmer's Markets.

We wish you the best!  Please remember where it all started.
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I ordered one myself for Christmas. Directions were not that good and I scratched up a Shaun pretty nicely. After I figured things out it works like a champ. RRP…it’s not that large. 7w 7d 10t maybe

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

• RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    I purchased the T-1 last month used it once on all my knives. Hands down the best edges I’ve ever produced. Two other systems I have, thanks to this forum😉, Ken Onion and Wicked Edge. IMO both due ok, KO not as sharp and WE setup time and a learning curve, of which I have not mastered.   I know a few folks talked about the size and storage of the T-1, I would say about the size of a small two slice toaster. With a few more runs I think the edges will be even better from the T-1. 

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    We are waiting 😀
    Somehow I got a vision of Ted Knight in Caddy Shack when I saw this.

Not far off 🤣

Thank you for the excellent write-up.  I wish it had only been so-so.  Instead I am really trying hard not to buy one.

Is the speed variable?  I wonder how much heat it puts into an edge.
  • Hungry Joe
    Options
    We are waiting 😀

Not far off 🤣

Thank you for the excellent write-up.  I wish it had only been so-so.  Instead I am really trying hard not to buy one.

It's one speed, 200 rpm which is slow enough to keep the blade from heating up. I don't think even I can mess up enough to over heat the blade. And believe me, if someone can find a way to make things go wrong it's me. Which is what I like about this thing.

I just cut up a whole chicken and don't ever remember cutting up a chicken being so easy.

One thing I don't understand is why I got a small package of four dark blue band-aids. They aren't listed in the contents, and I haven't seen any mention about them in my searches. Tormek must know me.
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I hate this forum.....  But, I love sharp knives....

UNSCRIBE!

Dang!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Botch
    Options
    @Hungry Joe, did any of the knives you sharpened have a thicker bolster down towards the heel of the blade, as shown below?

My Henckel's have that, and it goobers up using a motorized sharpening system; I'm assuming your Tormek would do the same, but I can't be sure.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    RLS said:
    I purchased the T-1 last month used it once on all my knives. Hands down the best edges I’ve ever produced. Two other systems I have, thanks to this forum😉, Ken Onion and Wicked Edge. IMO both due ok, KO not as sharp and WE setup time and a learning curve, of which I have not mastered.   I know a few folks talked about the size and storage of the T-1, I would say about the size of a small two slice toaster. With a few more runs I think the edges will be even better from the T-1. 

Rick
    That’s a hell of an endorsement.  I thought the gold standard was wicked edge, with all that is going on with that system, a bench grinder hands down beats it hands down?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    @Hungry Joe, did any of the knives you sharpened have a thicker bolster down towards the heel of the blade, as shown below?

My Henckel's have that, and it goobers up using a motorized sharpening system; I'm assuming your Tormek would do the same, but I can't be sure.
    You can grind down the bolster.  Any sharpening method is handicapped by those bolsters.  My favorite Henckel has it too.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Botch said:

You can grind down the bolster.  Any sharpening method is handicapped by those bolsters.  My favorite Henckel has it too.

Systems like my Apex Pro or the Wicked Edge would deal with those type of bolsters without any real problems.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:

Systems like my Apex Pro or the Wicked Edge would deal with those type of bolsters without any real problems.
    Didn't realize you could get right up and sharpened all the way to the bolster.  That is pretty cool.  I usually wind up with slight scratches.
  • RLS
    RLS Posts: 41
    Options
    RLS said:

Rick
    That’s a hell of an endorsement.  I thought the gold standard was wicked edge, with all that is going on with that system, a bench grinder hands down beats it hands down?
    Trust me I’m not a pro at knife sharpening at any level, I found this one to be user friendly and somewhat mid level skills needed. I never been able to get the WIcked Edge dialed in. Not their fault, it’s mine for lack of patience and focus. 

Rick
    Rick in Tampa
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Here are the bolsters on my favorite knife.  They are pretty scratched up from sharpening.

• Botch
    Options
    Here are the bolsters on my favorite knife.  They are pretty scratched up from sharpening.

Okay, we're getting somewhere now.
    The bolsters on my knives wouldn't even fit into the grinder I bought (Trizor-something-something), so the grinding stopped about 2, 3" further up the blade.  
    I got the Trizor (based on som mag's high recommendation, can't remember who) to grind my already-old Henckel's german knives to a narrower Japanese angle, which I did to all my knives save my heavier chef's knife (which I only use for squash/hacking cheekun bones).  Worked pretty much okay except for my main chef's knife, there was a divot that tore my sl

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    We are waiting 😀

Not far off 🤣

It's one speed, 200 rpm which is slow enough to keep the blade from heating up. I don't think even I can mess up enough to over heat the blade. And believe me, if someone can find a way to make things go wrong it's me. Which is what I like about this thing.

I just cut up a whole chicken and don't ever remember cutting up a chicken being so easy.

One thing I don't understand is why I got a small package of four dark blue band-aids. They aren't listed in the contents, and I haven't seen any mention about them in my searches. Tormek must know me.
    Not knife related... A few years ago, I bought a pool part (Pentair multiport valve) made in Canada. There's a big circular sticker for the valve settings. There were 2 stickers in the box, and I said something along the lines of "Stoopid Canuckians. Why would anyone need a second sticker?" 

Ten seconds later, I realized I had placed the sticker incorrectly, and gazed sheepishly at the second sticker as it lay there mocking me. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.