Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tormek T-1 Kitchen Knife Sharpener

Options

Comments

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    edited February 2023
    Options
    I'm still holding strong...somehow. Well see how this weekend goes after a drink or 12. Damn you all...

Will this sharpen my filet knives too? I do a lot of fishing and scales are not kind to steel.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    I'm still holding strong...somehow. Well see how this weekend goes after a drink or 12. Damn you all...

May the force (attraction your call) be with you! 
    Well played to last this long. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    OH, boy...what will follow might very well piss off a bunch of eggers here! BUT as I had admitted VERY early on in this thread...the price of that VERY COOL and VERY NICE unit cost more than the TOTAL cost my knifes!

Still with me???

Anyway, years ago I discovered those wonderful Victorinox Swiss made Asian angle blade knifes! 

I LOVE these CHEAP but wonderful knives and now use 5 of them.

I have kept all 5 blades razor sharp and I do mean RAZOR sharp using a Chef's Choice sharpener. 

Even though after all these years my first unit still works fine I just ordered a new unit which will take care of my 15 and 20 degree edge angle knives

Trust me...THESE Chef's Choice sharpeners will out live YOU if you learn to treat them correctly!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    Options
    I do carry this particular knife in my hunting pack.  Scalpel sharp.  Literally.  Just replace the blade when it dulls.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I do carry this particular knife in my hunting pack.  Scalpel sharp.  Literally.  Just replace the blade when it dulls.

COOL...I think...BUT I do have to ask a dumb question...just WHY does an engineer out there in AZ need such a wicked blade? Are those desert jack rabbits getting more protective with more migrants slipping over the border???
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

I accidentally got one of those with a pack of replacement blades thru TSA down to Florida and back.  In my carry on.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think we need an RRP whisperer to distill this.

RRP said:
    COOL...I think...BUT I do have to ask a dumb question...just WHY do you does an engineer out there in AZ need such a wicked blade? Are those desert jack rabbits getting more protective with more migrants slipping over the border???

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    RRP said:

COOL...I think...BUT I do have to ask a dumb question...just WHY does an engineer out there in AZ need such a wicked blade? Are those desert jack rabbits getting more protective with more migrants slipping over the border???
    I actually got it while in Illinois.  It was for field dressing deer.  I haven't hunted since being back in AZ, but one should always be ready for a quick dismemberment.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    What angle are you guys using on Japanese knifes such as Shun?
    Jacksonville FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Not knowing what the factory angle on Shun is supposed to be and doing the marker test I was around 14 on the Shun.

My other good Japanese knife was closer to 12. I also have a few cheaper Japanese knifes bought off AliExpress that seemed to take an edge at 14.

I settled in around 18-19 on my old reliable Chicago Cutlery.

I'll see how they wear and adjust if needed in the future, but they seem as sharp as ever for the moment. Next time I'm going to take notes so I keep the angles consistent.

Your best bet is use a sharpie and run a couple tests.

• Dobie
    Options
    I was practicing on some low grade Henckle knives last night and after messing around with a marker landed at 14 Degrees but haven’t put the Shuns on yet. 14 worked good on my Victorinox breaking knife.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Shun's are sharpened to 16 deg from the factory.  Both their single and double bevel.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nothing wrong with changing the angle to 14, I've done it on some of my Shuns.  If you have, which most Shuns do, a brittle, hard core alloy like VG10, you will develop chips easier, and the chips will be bigger.  So don't go hacking on chicken bones.
    Options
    The only Shun I use with bones around is my boning knife which is great knife. That and my chefs knife see most of the use. Have a Santoku but not crazy about it. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 369
    Options
    Ah, c'mon, guys, this just isn't fair. You talked me into getting the Bluestar range and the Roccbox pizza oven and as it happens I have a decent set of Japanese kitchen knives. Back off! Stop! You know I'm easily persuaded.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    its happening. just a matter of time.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Dobie
    Options
    Buy once, cry once. This thing is legit and perfect for my needs. Glad I waited for this to come along. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Anyone want to buy a Ken Onion Worksharp?
    I’m getting my out by to sharpen my knives just to get over the urge, ( I use the same technique for other urges ) 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I have the Worksharp culinary model.  Nice sharpener, I used it yesterday.  

But, I really want to try the Tormek!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,661
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Anyone want to buy a Ken Onion Worksharp?
    I’m getting my out by to sharpen my knives just to get over the urge, ( I use the same technique for other urges ) 
    I see what you did there

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• hvhunter
    Options

I love this knife. I use this primarily to do my fine cleaning of venison before packaging; removing the silver skin. It's also very useful for removing the skin off of a pork shoulder, or cleaning the skull of a deer. As Ozzie noted; scalpel sharp. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...also great for home surgery, bullet removal, etc.
    Options
    I used my water stones and sharpened the four Japanese knives, the two Chicago Cutlery ones that a friend had sharpened pre-Covid, and the two chef's knives. Success! the whole batch took less than half an hour. Don't need the Tormek and escaped that trap. Whew!
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Corv said:
    Don't need the Tormek and escaped that trap. Whew!
    Congrats!  
    I've also avoided this purchase, and I'm the OP.  
    However, my semi-annual MN farm rent check arrived in the mail today, so you all need to let this thread sink quietly to the next page, mmm-kay?  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Dobie
    Options
    Botch said:
    Corv said:
    Don't need the Tormek and escaped that trap. Whew!
    Congrats!  
    I've also avoided this purchase, and I'm the OP.  
    However, my semi-annual MN farm rent check arrived in the mail today, so you all need to let this thread sink quietly to the next page, mmm-kay?  

Jacksonville FL
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    @Botch, you got this.  Stay strong, Brother!  

If it gets really bad, start discussing EDC knives in this thread and it will fall like a Chinese Spy Balloon!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Well, this thread got to me finally..went to Tormek site,placed order "sorry, we do not deliver to tha address" ,so I guess I am OK 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Well, this thread got to me finally..went to Tormek site,placed order "sorry, we do not deliver to tha address" ,so I guess I am OK 
    Free shipping, no sales tax