Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tormek T-1 Kitchen Knife Sharpener

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Condensed in a nutshell, yep.
    edited February 2023
    LOL
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,104
    I may have accidentally sent a hint to my wife in the form of a link.  See if she figures out the clue?

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,442
    @Ozzie_Isaac - No way you are fooling this place.  You are close to 100% confident that she will come thru and then it's payback time.  Nice try but... B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - No way you are fooling this place.  You are close to 100% confident that she will come thru and then it's payback time.  Nice try but... B)
    She was looking at new bags the other day, so I figured I might slide something in for myself too 😀

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,960
    I am NOT getting weak in the knees!
    I am NOT getting weak in the knees…but could this be also used to sharpen workshop blades without ruining it for the intended use in the kitchen to sharpen knifes? Dual usage would be a game changer! How about it @nolaegghead?
  • lousubcap
    The forum force is always quite STRONG!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    RRP said:
    I am NOT getting weak in the knees…but could this be also used to sharpen workshop blades without ruining it for the intended use in the kitchen to sharpen knifes? Dual usage would be a game changer! How about it @nolaegghead?
     No, this only does knives.  The geometry is specifically designed around knives.  As such, the usual jig and rod supports are missing. 

You can sharpen kitchen and shop tools like chisels with a Tormek T-4 or T-8.  There are some clones out there that are much more economical, particularly from Grizzly.

Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    If this thing had a price point of $299, I would be in.  I have remained strong.  But, I find myself looking at my knives a little sideways.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    @FrostyEgg - I can definitely relate to your plight.  I waved off a serious EDC knife buy on a foggy Friday night.  Well, in the cold light of day Saturday AM, I caved and made the buy. 
    Just do it and enjoy!
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    FrostyEgg said:
    If this is still available when I wake up...I hate you all. Drunk me has passed somehow but has informed sober me that "we" should reevaluate. Be back shortly.
    Don't want you to have to search for the link: Free shipping, doesn't appear to be sales tax either.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-T-1-Kitchen-Knife-Sharpener-P1969.aspx

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,568
    FrostyEgg said:
    If this is still available when I wake up...I hate you all. Drunk me has passed somehow but has informed sober me that "we" should reevaluate. Be back shortly.
    Don't want you to have to search for the link: Free shipping, doesn't appear to be sales tax either.

https://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Tormek-T-1-Kitchen-Knife-Sharpener-P1969.aspx
    I bought mine from here.
    It came in less than a week.
    I'm not sure how they got away without charging tax.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    FrostyEgg said:

I bought mine from here.

If they lack nexus in your state they are not required to collect sales tax.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    HeavyG said:
    FrostyEgg said:

I bought mine from here.

Fortunately, most states provide a small box on your tax return to enter this information, so you don't have to feel you are cheating Uncle Sam.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,960
    edited February 2023
    FrostyEgg said:

Why can't it just be assumed that the price already includes shipping and sales tax? Perhaps the company has calculated in general an average shipping cost and sales tax so that they will make some bucks overcharging some buyers and undercharging others, but it levels out in the long run!

To me a set price of X dollars has an unique appeal to it! (wink wink wink)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    RRP said:
    FrostyEgg said:

Why can't it just be assumed that the price already includes shipping and sales tax? Perhaps the company has calculated in general an average shipping cost and sales tax so that they will make some bucks overcharging some buyers and undercharging others, but it levels out in the long run!

To me a set price of X dollars has an unique appeal to it! (wink wink wink)
    I agree.  I love European prices.  You pay what is on the label.  Simple.

Don't get me started on our tipping culture.

• lousubcap
     Well @FrostyEgg - who won the force fight??
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    Those that are comparing it to their Ken Onion Worksharp, are you comparing it to the original model or the "Elite" model?

Original

Elite 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    It doesn’t put a concave or convex edge on like the worksharp or any wet stone Tormek.  It’s a league above the original worksharp.  It will get knives sharper if that’s your goal.

< shakes fist at forum >
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Bwaaaahhhhhahahaha sucker!
    I’m pretty certain doubledildo’s review put you over the edge.
    Langner91 said:
    HeavyG said:
    FrostyEgg said:

I bought mine from here.

Fortunately, most states provide a small box on your tax return to enter this information, so you don't have to feel you are cheating Uncle Sam.
    Did you purchase anything off the internet last year?   Hmmm... Not that I can remember. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • I’m pretty certain doubledildo’s review put you over the edge.
    You are correct.  Michael talked to me today and said it’s legit.  Michael (DoubleEgger) has a very high bar for quality as many of us know.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I’m pretty certain doubledildo’s review put you over the edge.
    You are correct.  Michael talked to me today and said it’s legit.  Michael (DoubleEgger) has a very high bar for quality as many of us know.
    So high, he ditched the forum....well, maybe that wasn't a very high bar?

I am just going to assume he said: "It was me, not you."

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Now I am afraid they are going to raise prices because it is a huge hit.  I am having a severe case of FOMO.  The wife said she never saw my hint.

• @Dobie - love the new forum pic, lol