Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @MasterC - great news right there. Sweet cook as well.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Doesn’t look like much, but it is delicious. Pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches and some salad. Served on only the finest China. 

I’ve never made pulled chicken.  I think I need to correct that oversight now…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,338
    Doesn’t look like much, but it is delicious. Pulled chicken BBQ sandwiches and some salad. Served on only the finest China. 

I’ve never made pulled chicken.  I think I need to correct that oversight now…
    Not sure if it’s the “proper” way, but I just grill it 155-165 and throw it in the Kitchen Aid and mix it with some BBQ sauce. Pretty easy meal. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    Regarding pulled chix, @Mattman3969 has it dialed in.
    A link here- it is good but the difference between a high heat, high in the dome cook should be based on how many supervisory beverages you want to finesse in that role.  FWIW-
    1. Re: Another LnS Sheeken in progress  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 350
    Beef vindaloo and palak paneer. 

I need this gravy recipe.   That looks way too good
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Beef vindaloo and palak paneer. 

Finallly. Someone understands me. 

Kidding aside, I'd kill that plate. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    ^^^ LIKE
    @WeberWho. Define stupid simple. What ambient temp and how was fuel consumption. I’m kind of debating whether to unload my 560 or drive it back to Wally. If I keep it, one of the eggs or pellet poopers has to go, it’s end of summer so not easy to do.
    canuckland
  • @WeberWho

Might have to break my sternum, just to get a taste. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    ^^^ LIKE
    @WeberWho. Define stupid simple. What ambient temp and how was fuel consumption. I’m kind of debating whether to unload my 560 or drive it back to Wally. If I keep it, one of the eggs or pellet poopers has to go, it’s end of summer so not easy to do.
    If you have a full warranty egg I'd keep that around. The 560 has it limitations. Like I mentioned earlier I wouldn't do any 700 degrees cooks with it. I'm not sure how kind winter would be to it with its electronics. I store my KBQ away for the winter. I'd probably do the same with this one. I'm sure they work just fine during the winter months but even my controller fans I use during the winter need to be wrapped in towels or they won't work because of the cold. 

I'd just expect the switches to go out at some point. Since you bought it new you can help prevent some of the switch issues with care and even grease. This smoker was used hard and they didn't have much of a chance. You're also good with diagnosing issues when they come up. If some average Joe were to pick it up it might not be something they want to deal with. It's pretty simple stuff. 

I'm not sure why people call it a charcoal hog? I thought it was much, much better than my other gravity feed smoker. I also think my bigger gravity feed smoker heat deflector is too big and burning through charcoal more rapidly because of it. So my thoughts of burning charcoal with this smoker may be skewed. 

Stupid simple is just as it sounds. Light a small amount of charcoal, dump it down the chute, add unlit charcoal, set temp on controller, walk away. It's really that simple. It comes up to temp quickly and usually stays within a couple degrees +/- of your set temp. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    WeberWho said:
    ^^^ LIKE
    If you have a full warranty egg I'd keep that around. The 560 has it limitations. Like I mentioned earlier I wouldn't do any 700 degrees cooks with it. I'm not sure how kind winter would be to it with its electronics. I store my KBQ away for the winter. I'd probably do the same with this one. I'm sure they work just fine during the winter months but even my controller fans I use during the winter need to be wrapped in towels or they won't work because of the cold. 

I'd just expect the switches to go out at some point. Since you bought it new you can help prevent some of the switch issues with care and even grease. This smoker was used hard and they didn't have much of a chance. You're also good with diagnosing issues when they come up. If some average Joe were to pick it up it might not be something they want to deal with. It's pretty simple stuff. 

I'm not sure why people call it a charcoal hog? I thought it was much, much better than my other gravity feed smoker. I also think my bigger gravity feed smoker heat deflector is too big and burning through charcoal more rapidly because of it. So my thoughts of burning charcoal with this smoker may be skewed. 

Stupid simple is just as it sounds. Light a small amount of charcoal, dump it down the chute, add unlit charcoal, set temp on controller, walk away. It's really that simple. It comes up to temp quickly and usually stays within a couple degrees +/- of your set temp. 
    Solid cook @WeberWho
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    edited August 2022
    @WeberWho

Might have to break my sternum, just to get a taste. 
    It's probably the best meatloaf I've had. It's more work than your average meatloaf but when you hear Kent Rollins say it's one of his favorite meals you know you're going to be in for a treat. (I've never rolled up meatloaf before. That was new) If you like meatloaf I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. 

Video:

https://youtu.be/GDw4pCUnHro
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2022
    @WeberWho thanks for sharing your experience, insight and inspiration; also the compliments on my 'redneckedness'. Yes I'm the original owner of both L and XL. I'll probably just keep the 560 in the garage and use it as a summer-only toy; also toying with the idea of mixing lump with wood splits/chunks, kind of like hybrid stick burner.

Edit: Meat loaf looks great, but to be honest, when it calls for more ingredients than APL I'm scared  :)
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    Canugghead said:
     I'll probably just keep the 560 in the garage and use it as a summer-only toy; also toying with the idea of mixing lump with wood splits/chunks, kind of like hybrid stick burner.
    @Canugghead

I was going to message you but it looks like you're profile is private. I'm going to dump it here. 

Here is the video about adding grease to the switches. I would do this since it's new. 

https://youtu.be/UVKu3qZ-z_w

For the meatloaf cook I used wood chunks in the ash bin below the charcoal grate. The sparks from the charcoal above will fully ignite the wood chunk mimicking a smoke profile similar to a stick bruner. I do this for the first the couple hours of the cook. You can add wood chunks to the lump but the wood will smolder creating a heavier smoke like the BGE has to offer. I find the best technique and smoke profile is when the chunks fully ignite. Here is part of the leftover chunks that I tossed in during the cook. 

My other suggestion is to place some tin foil under the door lid on the top of the chute. You might want to change this out every cook or two. I'm not scientist but I read that the charcoal creates a gas and that gas rises. The door lid traps the gas since it has nowhere to go. Since the gas is trapped it will sit and peel away the paint around the top chute. To help the paint from peeling you can lay down some tin foil around it. I have to do this with my other gravity feed smoker as well. 

A few thoughts on the top of my head with this smoker.....

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    @WeberWho Thanks, appreciate your effort, will look into it without interruption later. Fwiw, meant to turn off my private profile, sorry. Btw, it’s still possible to pm someone with private profile.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Not exactly sure what I am eye-balling but it is some sweet looking beef right  there.  Nailed it.