Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

Options
First- The Wok is a great book. If you like to wok or want to learn, it is the new standard. Even the way he seasons the wok is better than the Grace Young way (who has always been my go-to for all things wok). He is all science and she is almost mystical about the whole process (which I also dig). 

Enough of that. Tried my first cook with my brand new wok (my OG wok did not have a long handle). It’s been a year since I’ve done a wok cook and I had to pull my spider out of a box buried in storage. 

First cook: Gong Bao Ji Ding

chicken with Sichuan peppercorns, peanuts,  and chilis. Was really tasty. 

Pretty happy with the seasoning of my new wok too. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Looks amazing!  Temp control on a wok is crucial, so is being able to adjust the temp quickly.  I have found I prefer my gas burners for this. Did you use the egg?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looks amazing!  Temp control on a wok is crucial, so is being able to adjust the temp quickly.  I have found I prefer my gas burners for this. Did you use the egg?
    I did. I just pull it off when I need to calm it down. I may get a wok burner but the egg works pretty well for me. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice! We love this dish. Haven't made it at home much, though. 

Kenji seems to have caused quite a stir (fry?) with this tome. Apparently, he saved it from becoming a chapter in The Food Lab, because he saw it standing as a book by itself. 

How do the recipes compare to Fuchsia Dunlop's stuff? I've been on the fence about The Wok. Waiting to see if the library has it. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

Kenji seems to have caused quite a stir (fry?) with this tome. Apparently, he saved it from becoming a chapter in The Food Lab, because he saw it standing as a book by itself. 

How do the recipes compare to Fuchsia Dunlop's stuff? I've been on the fence about The Wok. Waiting to see if the library has it. 
    Im not sure how the recipes compare but the techniques are great. 

I never took you for a library kind of guy. You strike me more as a “why borrow one when I could buy 2” kind of guy 😂

your garage don’t lie. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

I never took you for a library kind of guy. You strike me more as a “why borrow one when I could buy 2” kind of guy 😂

your garage don’t lie. 
    Ouch! That cut deep... but, not necessarily untrue =) . I have learned restraint, though... 1-2 times a year, but, I have learned some. 

I'd stop paying taxes if public libraries were no more. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    I feel like “garage don’t lie” needs to become a new catchphrase here
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

I am so glad you checked in again. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    Let’s just say, when the apocalypse hits, with my supply of  “food on the hoof” and abundant water and Ashish’s store of fuel and cookers, we will be fine for years.  
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Unfortunately my wok has hung on the garage wall for a couple of years.  A month or so ago the youngest boy wanted to make fried rice. Then a couple weeks later I made bulgogi.  Need to break it out more often.  
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    Let’s just say, when the apocalypse hits, with my supply of  “food on the hoof” and abundant water and Ashish’s store of fuel and cookers, we will be fine for years.  
    I will be sure to make my way to Texas.  I’d walk that far for ashish’s lamb alone.  I’m sure you’d just add to the bounty. 
  • caliking
    Options

I am so glad you checked in again. 
    Missing that "agree" button right about now.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    I will be sure to make my way to Texas.  I’d walk that far for ashish’s lamb alone.  I’m sure you’d just add to the bounty. 
    Anything Ashish decides to get mad at is bound to be on the “best ever” list. 
  • caliking
    Options
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    I'm not at all embarassed to say that this would likely be true.

We're heading out for dim sum in a bit. Chow fun is also one of our favs. I've had fresh/made in  house chow fun once, and it was fabulous. Can't wait to see y'all bang some out. 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,947
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    I'm not at all embarassed to say that this would likely be true.

We're heading out for dim sum in a bit. Chow fun is also one of our favs. I've had fresh/made in  house chow fun once, and it was fabulous. Can't wait to see y'all bang some out. 
    Dim sum?  More like damn son, amirite?!?!?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

I doubt I'll find Wagyu in any Asian restaurant around here.  Nice wok! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker , just ordered the book, what Wok is that you have?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My Beautiful Wife is the pro in our house, our children must have, by now, Thai chili in their DNA. 

Your cook, as always, are amazing. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for the mention of the two books. Love your posts.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited May 2022
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

We are really lucky. HEB sells wagyu in most of the nicer stores. We don’t have as much selection out here as we did in Austin but they carry wagyu skirt every day for $12.99lb. I keep it on hand at all times. It’s our go-to for everything. Tacos, stir fry, carne asada, steak and chimi…it’s perfect for all of them. It’s all SRF too! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    My Beautiful Wife is the pro in our house, our children must have, by now, Thai chili in their DNA. 

Your cook, as always, are amazing. Thank you for sharing, and thank you for the mention of the two books. Love your posts.
    You are too kind Ron. Hope you guys make it back down to Fredericksburg one day. Would love to play tour guide if you do. We have discovered some great spots and we have 50 more wineries under permit or construction as we speak! 

I’ll have an awesome place for you guys to stay by end of the year. We will have 6 airbnb at the ranch by December. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    YukonRon said:

You are too kind Ron. Hope you guys make it back down to Fredericksburg one day. Would love to play tour guide if you do. We have discovered some great spots and we have 50 more wineries under permit or construction as we speak! 

I’ll have an awesome place for you guys to stay by end of the year. We will have 6 airbnb at the ranch by December. 
    We will be back down there, and when we do, I will certainly hook up. Thank you. A personal tour guide to get hammered with is always a gig that My Beautiful wife and I never miss.

The hill country is perfect for wine, I preach to all that feel the need to “talk wine” with me. Pretty exciting for all that is going on in Texas. I still say some of the best I have had the chance to experience was right there.

peace my friend. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Man that is some fantastic looking grub! Makes me want a wok…might have to be the fall cooking project. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

We are really lucky. HEB sells wagyu in most of the nicer stores. We don’t have as much selection out here as we did in Austin but they carry wagyu skirt every day for $12.99lb. I keep it on hand at all times. It’s our go-to for everything. Tacos, stir fry, carne asada, steak and chimi…it’s perfect for all of them. It’s all SRF too! 
    Wagyu skirt for 12.99/lb.  That would be all I eat.  Choice around here is 14.99/lb.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Hmm, and here SWMBO and I are looking at being empty nesters in a few years.  Hoping you’re fine with folks you haven’t met and I’ll bookmark those Airbnbs once you list…

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

Wagyu skirt for 12.99/lb.  That would be all I eat.  Choice around here is 14.99/lb.
    It pretty much is unless they have flap. Always had it by the old house but harder to come by here. Still happy to have it! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Acn said:
    YukonRon said:

Hmm, and here SWMBO and I are looking at being empty nesters in a few years.  Hoping you’re fine with folks you haven’t met and I’ll bookmark those Airbnbs once you list…
    Well…you probably shouldn’t build airbnb’s if you aren’t comfortable with people you haven’t met ha ha. Come on down. I’ll post the progress here as we get going. Should be a cool spot once they are up and running. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Man that is some fantastic looking grub! Makes me want a wok…might have to be the fall cooking project. 
    Do it. It’s so much fun and the food is just incredible. It’s actually pretty quick once you get your mise all set up and it doesn’t mess up or heat up your kitchen. Clean up is like 5 minutes. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Had to google chow fun and now i want some.