Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

Options

Comments

• FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 584
    Options
    That's better than I assumed it'd be!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Thank you guys for getting this back on track! This is a forum about cooking after all. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    edited June 2022
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    That's better than I assumed it'd be!
    Honestly, I was also surprised.  Figured I'd get one or two cooks 🤣 , but it lasts pretty long.  Cheaper to cook on than my eggs.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    Sounds familiar.  No one has made chow fun here, but all the rest. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sounds familiar.  No one has made chow fun here, but all the rest. 
    “Insert food name here” 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,735
    Options
    Apparently a drunk person cooked beef chow fun again last night. That drunk person did not clean the kitchen and left his dirty wok and mise outside all night. This drunk person also tried to make the hor fun noodles from scratch. The noodles looked like the drunk person’s kitchen this morning but the beef was amazing again. The drunk person had it for breakfast this morning as well just to make sure :) 

kitchen is clean, woks are shiny- had OG wok running steamer duty for the “noodles” (which were really just a pile of steamed and mushy rice flour bits) and life is good. Rinse repeat for later today ha ha. Empty wine bottles and a dirty kitchen on Sunday morning is a sign of a good Saturday night. 

Why can we only "like" x1 vs. x 11??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    OMG.

Picked up a copy from the library today, and love it already. Its encyclopedic! Have just been flipping through, and it has about all of my favorite Asian dishes. 

Can't wait to get jiggy with it.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    OMG.

Picked up a copy from the library today, and love it already. Its encyclopedic! Have just been flipping through, and it has about all of my favorite Asian dishes. 

Can't wait to get jiggy with it.
    Cant wait to see it
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Acn said:

Made his Mapo tofu tonight, it is really good.  I can see how it could be his favorite dish in the world.  Doubanjiang might be my new favorite ingredient.
    I have to try this. On the short list
  • caliking
    Options
    Acn said:

Made his Mapo tofu tonight, it is really good.  I can see how it could be his favorite dish in the world.  Doubanjiang might be my new favorite ingredient.
    I don't think you have enough tofu there :)

Mapo tofu and dan dan mian are in our regular rotation here. Simple to cook, but so flavorful. Haven't tried Kenji's version, but I'm sure they're really good. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,534
    Options

Something about this photo just doesn't look right.  ???

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Acn said:

I don't think you have enough tofu there :)

Mapo tofu and dan dan mian are in our regular rotation here. Simple to cook, but so flavorful. Haven't tried Kenji's version, but I'm sure they're really good. 
    oooh- we are both getting double dislikes now. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Nice! We love this dish. Haven't made it at home much, though. 

Kenji seems to have caused quite a stir (fry?) with this tome. Apparently, he saved it from becoming a chapter in The Food Lab, because he saw it standing as a book by itself. 

How do the recipes compare to Fuchsia Dunlop's stuff? I've been on the fence about The Wok. Waiting to see if the library has it. 
    Im not sure how the recipes compare but the techniques are great. 

I never took you for a library kind of guy. You strike me more as a “why borrow one when I could buy 2” kind of guy 😂

your garage don’t lie. 
    Update:

Borrowed a copy from the library. Flipping through this book was like a wet dream. Wish I had it 10 yrs ago. 

Bought a copy on Amazon, and they damaged the binding because it was shipped same day (shipped in bags, not boxes). So, picked up a copy at Costco.

That means I currently have 3 copies in my posession...

Then, I went poking around in the garage, and found 2 woks. One is junk, the other one needs to be reseasoned. Not  counting the 2 concave comals, which are sorta like a wok. 

Moral of the story=  fvck you. I hate it when people know me better than I do. 
    This is glorious. 
    Agree button X 10
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

Kenji seems to have caused quite a stir (fry?) with this tome. Apparently, he saved it from becoming a chapter in The Food Lab, because he saw it standing as a book by itself. 

How do the recipes compare to Fuchsia Dunlop's stuff? I've been on the fence about The Wok. Waiting to see if the library has it. 

I never took you for a library kind of guy. You strike me more as a “why borrow one when I could buy 2” kind of guy 😂

your garage don’t lie. 
    Update:

Borrowed a copy from the library. Flipping through this book was like a wet dream. Wish I had it 10 yrs ago. 

Bought a copy on Amazon, and they damaged the binding because it was shipped same day (shipped in bags, not boxes). So, picked up a copy at Costco.

Then, I went poking around in the garage, and found 2 woks. One is junk, the other one needs to be reseasoned. Not  counting the 2 concave comals, which are sorta like a wok. 

This is glorious. 
    ICASIL
    Clinton, Iowa
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,434
    Options
    FrostyEgg said:
    How fast do these burners blow through propane? I suppose even the stupid high BTU's aren't actually on that long to heat a wok.
    Just get one of these.  Buy once, cry once.

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,204
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:

your garage don’t lie. 
    Update:

Amazon damaged my binding too.  It wasn't horrible, so after I started down the "replace" route I said f-it and kept it.  Now I won't be so worried as I use it around all the food and prep.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    My wok is the one used by local Asian restaurants I got from an Asian supply here in Greensboro. I love it. Carbon steel and no janky handle. Holds beaucoup food. Heat distribution is even. Cleanup is a breeze. 

I can see if they have more - mine is years old - if anyones interested. 

Cue: artsy and utilitarian photo sesh (upside down?!)

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Botch
    Options
    My wok is the one used by local Asian restaurants I got from an Asian supply here in Greensboro. I love it. Carbon steel and no janky handle. Holds beaucoup food. Heat distribution is even. Cleanup is a breeze. 

I have one similar, but it's cast iron.  Why do you want a new one, and throw away that beautiful patina?

Also, does anyone know of a heat- and water-resistant tape, that I could tape up the handle?  It gets uncomfortably warm about mid-cook, and not having to find/grab a potholder would be nice (first-world problem, I know).  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Botch said:

I have one similar, but it's cast iron.  Why do you want a new one, and throw away that beautiful patina?

Also, does anyone know of a heat- and water-resistant tape, that I could tape up the handle?  It gets uncomfortably warm about mid-cook, and not having to find/grab a potholder would be nice (first-world problem, I know).  
    Handle isn't janky, but does burn you up.
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    RyanStl said:
    Botch said:

Handle isn't janky, but does burn you up.
    Check out the workshop.com

IL 
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    wokshop.com.  Darn autocorrect. 
    IL 
  • Botch
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    Check out the wokshop.com

If we meet at an Eggfest, Brisket Camp, Butt Blast, etc I'm buying you a beer; Thanks!