Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

Comments

• caliking said:
    I was thinking about getting this book, but I looked at one in a bookshop and found it difficult to read tbh ... different fonts, font sizes, loads of sidebars, pictures hard to make out. For those that have got this, is that true for the whole book (I looked at a couple of pages)?
    I hear you. The recipes are sometimes hard to read while you’re cooking,  because of the font size and the page layout. And, the layout is all over the place in different sections. Some recipes are underwhelming, but that could be said for any cookbook. 

But, it’s absolutely worth buying IMO. It’s more of an encyclopedia than a cookbook. It’s polyAsian (made that up) cooking, with recipes for most things you like, or have eaten somewhere. The detailed descriptions of techniques are game changing. If you cook a lot of Asian food, the recipes may not all be winners, but the elevation of your technique will be worth the purchase. 
    100% this 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,052
    I was thinking about getting this book, but I looked at one in a bookshop and found it difficult to read tbh ... different fonts, font sizes, loads of sidebars, pictures hard to make out. For those that have got this, is that true for the whole book (I looked at a couple of pages)?
    You are 100% right. I had to read through this one multiple times to make sure I understood the recipe. He has moo shoo pork and his own moo shoo mushroom recipe tangled all up together on the same page. Moo shoo mushrooms has 4 oz pork, moo shoo pork has 12oz pork. Step 7 has you go to the side bar to figure out how much pork and marinade for each version then you have to skip ahead or back depending on which version. Very confusing and definitely should have been 2 separate recipes on this one.he really could have done a better job keeping things clearer. 
    This is funny, because Kenji talks that way in his videos; he starts a sentence, then thinks of something else and starts speaking about that, then gets another idea, and has up to three unfinished sentences going at once.  He always comes back around and finishes everything, but it can be quite frustrating to listen to.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    ok, bought the book. my hellfire burners been looking at me lately
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch said:
    You are 100% right. I had to read through this one multiple times to make sure I understood the recipe. He has moo shoo pork and his own moo shoo mushroom recipe tangled all up together on the same page. Moo shoo mushrooms has 4 oz pork, moo shoo pork has 12oz pork. Step 7 has you go to the side bar to figure out how much pork and marinade for each version then you have to skip ahead or back depending on which version. Very confusing and definitely should have been 2 separate recipes on this one.he really could have done a better job keeping things clearer. 
    This is funny, because Kenji talks that way in his videos; he starts a sentence, then thinks of something else and starts speaking about that, then gets another idea, and has up to three unfinished sentences going at once.  He always comes back around and finishes everything, but it can be quite frustrating to listen to.  
    Try reading it lol
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Is the Kenji book better than the one by the lady people were talking about before?
  • RyanStl said:
    Is the Kenji book better than the one by the lady people were talking about before?
    I think so but they are both great (breath of a wok- grace young) 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    Botch said:
    This is funny to me, that is how my brain works, and I love his videos (except the head mounted perspective).  His non-sequiturs occur at about the same time my attention is waning.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    Once again, I’ve let you jack wagons spend my money. I did get a digital version for about half the price.  If I really like it I’ll get the hard copy. 
  • Once again, I’ve let you jack wagons spend my money. I did get a digital version for about half the price.  If I really like it I’ll get the hard copy. 
    $weeeet! Digital is fine. Might be better so you can take your device out to read as you go while you learn the tricks. 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    Once again, I’ve let you jack wagons spend my money. I did get a digital version for about half the price.  If I really like it I’ll get the hard copy. 
    $weeeet! Digital is fine. Might be better so you can take your device out to read as you go while you learn the tricks. 

gross
    NOLA
  • theyolksonyou
    buzd504 said:

gross
    Not a fan of the ebook, eh?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    buzd504 said:

gross
    Not a fan of bringing cook books into the toilet I believe.

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,244
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker @caliking thanks. I think I’ll wait and see if there’s a second edition that sorts out the entangled web of recipes. 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• theyolksonyou
    @Stormbringer the digital from Belomero is not that bad in pdf format and you can change the layout.  It’s like $14, but the link expires in 2024 so you have to save it somewhere 
  • buzd504 said:

gross
    Not a fan of bringing cook books into the toilet I believe.
    Ah- I was talking about taking it out to the egg so you could follow along until you got all the steps ha ha. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,233
    that book is heavy, really heavy.  first impression
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,147
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

Broccoli and shrimp. Served over hakka chow mien ( Chinese-style stir fried noodles, with veg and stuff). 

The recipe was a riff off the broccoli and fried tofu recipe in the book. The real win was the alkaline brine for the shrimp. Made a noticeable difference- gave them a nice juicy pop. 
    No curry?  ;)
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,724
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

Broccoli and shrimp. Served over hakka chow mien ( Chinese-style stir fried noodles, with veg and stuff). 

The recipe was a riff off the broccoli and fried tofu recipe in the book. The real win was the alkaline brine for the shrimp. Made a noticeable difference- gave them a nice juicy pop. 
    No curry?  ;)
    Or domestic animals 😳
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

No curry?  ;)
    And I don't see whole cloves of garlic...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,809
     Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

No curry?  ;)
    It's not about the whole cloves. It's about the sleeper cell 6 cloves grated in there =)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
     Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

No curry?  ;)
    It's not about the whole cloves. It's about the sleeper cell 6 cloves grated in there =)

When you say clove, I assume you mean head.

• caliking
    Looks good from here!

Did you make a batch of the scallion oil for later? It's good stuff. I think it needs moar ginger and scallions than the recipe in the book calls for, though. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    caliking said:
    Looks good from here!

Did you make a batch of the scallion oil for later? It's good stuff. I think it needs moar ginger and scallions than the recipe in the book calls for, though. 
    Yup, made a big batch.  It smells amazing.  I didn't think to put ginger in, but will try that next time.

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,058
    caliking said:
    Looks good from here!

Yup, made a big batch.  It smells amazing.  I didn't think to put ginger in, but will try that next time.
    I’m surprised @c@caliking isn’t suggesting a “few” heads of garlic too 
  • caliking
    U_tarded said:
    caliking said:
    Looks good from here!

I’m surprised @c@caliking isn’t suggesting a “few” heads of garlic too 
    You cannot comprehend the self-restraint I showed =)

• caliking said:
     Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

No curry?  ;)

Love when a guy with a turban on his head references sleeper cells! 
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • caliking
    caliking said:
     Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    Bumpity bump. 

No curry?  ;)

🤦🏾‍♂️

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    ya do?  I would bet $100 that complete sentence has never been written  before.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”