Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

Options

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    Any tips on trying to explain to the wife why I now need a jet engine burner and wok? 
    Just do what I do. Say,”you’re not the boss of me! I’ll buy what I like!”

then go back into the living room and join her to watch HGTV and ask her nicely. 
    other options include:
    1. Order item. When its delivered, go "Fvckin' Amazon! They delivered someone else's stuff here! AGAIN!" After a day or so, " I called Amazon, and told them they delivered someone else's stuff to us. They said keep the item. I may as well use it, right??" 

2. Have item delivered to a buddy. Go pick it up, and say " @Photo Egg said he didn't need this anymore, and cut me a great deal on it."

3. "Where did this come from? Honey, were you drunk on Amazon again?"

I can vouch that at least one of these works.
    I have met caliqueen, and there is zero chance she would fall for any of this.  What I would believe is that she was comfortable rolling her eyes and just letting you believe the ruse had worked!
    100% this. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    FrostyEgg said:
    Any tips on trying to explain to the wife why I now need a jet engine burner and wok? 

then go back into the living room and join her to watch HGTV and ask her nicely. 
    other options include:
    1. Order item. When its delivered, go "Fvckin' Amazon! They delivered someone else's stuff here! AGAIN!" After a day or so, " I called Amazon, and told them they delivered someone else's stuff to us. They said keep the item. I may as well use it, right??" 

2. Have item delivered to a buddy. Go pick it up, and say " @Photo Egg said he didn't need this anymore, and cut me a great deal on it."

I have met caliqueen, and there is zero chance she would fall for any of this.  What I would believe is that she was comfortable rolling her eyes and just letting you believe the ruse had worked!
    As recent times have shown, it's all about deflection.

FYI, #1 almost worked for a table saw I ordered. 
    Almost..?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    FrostyEgg said:

other options include:

Almost..?
    I’m guessing more than a few of us have met caliqueen 😂
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    FrostyEgg said:

other options include:

Almost..?
    I caved, and told her about it the day it was to be delivered. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Photo Egg said:
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    FrostyEgg said:

other options include:

Almost..?
    I caved, and told her about it the day it was to be delivered. 
    And to think you were so close…
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    You were practically building stuff.  New cabinets for the garage, an egg table, pig pens…
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    caliking said:
    Got busy again, with some of our favs. 

Blistered green beans
    Eggs + tomatoes 
    Cumin lamb
    Noodles (cabbage, carrots, Thai basil, kecap manis). 
    Ham choy (pickled mustard greens, homemade a while back). 

The bowl was a pile of stuff. But, it was delicious! 
    Stop changing the subject to food!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    caliking said:
    Got busy again, with some of our favs. 

Blistered green beans
    Eggs + tomatoes 
    Cumin lamb
    Noodles (cabbage, carrots, Thai basil, kecap manis). 
    Ham choy (pickled mustard greens, homemade a while back). 

The bowl was a pile of stuff. But, it was delicious! 
    Oh my!!  Out a sight.  Gaawjuus.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    Fried rice tonight… veg, burnt garlic, egg. The egg was drizzled over the rice, instead of cooked separately. Made for a texture that was new to me. 

With longanisa, homemade haam Choi, an egg, and some furikake, it made a deliciously deranged looking meal :)

Discovered that a portable butane stove cranks up the heat better than the kitchen stove, or an induction stove does. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    Fried rice tonight… veg, burnt garlic, egg. The egg was drizzled over the rice, instead of cooked separately. Made for a texture that was new to me. 

With longanisa, homemade haam Choi, an egg, and some furikake, it made a deliciously deranged looking meal :)

Discovered that a portable butane stove cranks up the heat better than the kitchen stove, or an induction stove does. 
    You and caliqueen aren’t by any chance up for adopting grown adults at this point, are you?  Asking for a friend…
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I’m the friend…
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:

Is it wrong that this makes me hate you?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • caliking
    Options
    Look at those kids tucking in !! I'd say you nailed it.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Tenderize with water & anger"

I Love this so much
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    NDG said:
    Beef Chow Fun.  Just Amazing.  Used flank and followed Kenji method to Tenderize with water & anger then and marinade with baking soda and some diverse colored soys & wine, then cut flank with grain then against grain.  So many new techniques for me.  

Also, my First time using wok in brand nw kitchen, using 22 btu open burners on my new BlueStar (felt good 😋) then hit it with Torch for wok hei.  Only prob is noodles, used Momofuku noodles, next time I’ll find chow fun thick ones.  Anyway lots of fun, whole fam loved it.

This is awesome. We are doing Moo Shoo Pork tonight. It's hard not to do beef chow fun every time we fire up the wok but we need to branch out. The noodles are the hardest part to get right for us as well but we have done it with rice and if it gets much better than that, I'm not sure I want to know about it. 

We have tried store bought noodles- it was ok. We tried the homemade chow fun noodles...let's just say there is some work to be done there. They all fell apart when we made them and literally disappeared when I added them to the wok. Like just vanished ha ha. 

The girls are cute and so expressive. I imagine you have your hands full!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Post like this make me wish I lived somewhere a little bigger.  Someplace with markets besides Mexican. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Post like this make me wish I lived somewhere a little bigger.  Someplace with markets besides Mexican. 
    I live down a 2 mile dirt road 10 minutes outside a town of 10,000 people lol. You can do it. We do have a good grocery store though but I ordered almost everything but the beef online. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Moo Shoo Pork tonight. Was really good but needs a little work. Very happy to have this in the bag of tricks though. 

Homemade pancakes. Janell made these. They were perfect. 

The only thing I would change is to give the mushrooms a little more space to rehydrate (some were a little tough because they outgrew the container) and I would slice them into ribbons like the pork. 

Outside if that, very tasty and will only get better. 

Another killer meal!  Nice.
  • caliking
    Options
    Man, that looks good. Seems like I could never rehydrate mushrooms quite right, so I gave up on them :)

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    caliking said:
    Man, that looks good. Seems like I could never rehydrate mushrooms quite right, so I gave up on them :)
    You need a mushroom cooker.
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    Options
    I was thinking about getting this book, but I looked at one in a bookshop and found it difficult to read tbh ... different fonts, font sizes, loads of sidebars, pictures hard to make out. For those that have got this, is that true for the whole book (I looked at a couple of pages)?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    That Moo Shoo Pork looks great !!  My kids are getting into mushrooms, next recipe I try will include them.  Also my kids dislike meat that is "chewy" so this book seems perfect considering all the techniques to tenderize proteins.  Onward & Upward.   
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I was thinking about getting this book, but I looked at one in a bookshop and found it difficult to read tbh ... different fonts, font sizes, loads of sidebars, pictures hard to make out. For those that have got this, is that true for the whole book (I looked at a couple of pages)?
    You are 100% right. I had to read through this one multiple times to make sure I understood the recipe. He has moo shoo pork and his own moo shoo mushroom recipe tangled all up together on the same page. Moo shoo mushrooms has 4 oz pork, moo shoo pork has 12oz pork. Step 7 has you go to the side bar to figure out how much pork and marinade for each version then you have to skip ahead or back depending on which version. Very confusing and definitely should have been 2 separate recipes on this one.he really could have done a better job keeping things clearer. 

But the food and techniques are incredible.  
  • caliking
    Options
    I hear you. The recipes are sometimes hard to read while you’re cooking,  because of the font size and the page layout. And, the layout is all over the place in different sections. Some recipes are underwhelming, but that could be said for any cookbook. 

But, it’s absolutely worth buying IMO. It’s more of an encyclopedia than a cookbook. It’s polyAsian (made that up) cooking, with recipes for most things you like, or have eaten somewhere. The detailed descriptions of techniques are game changing. If you cook a lot of Asian food, the recipes may not all be winners, but the elevation of your technique will be worth the purchase.