Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Wok- first cook

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,017
    For those looking for a wok burner, I have a few different ones of varying power.  The 160k BTU burner Kenji recommends is amazing.  It is very dynamic and allows going from cool heat to insane heat in a flash.  Really goes beyond my feeble skills.

I have a 60k BTU burner that has excellent temp control and enables the wok to get incredibly hot.  It is not as dynamic and takes a 10-15 seconds to go from cool heat to ripping hot.  I still get great wok hei on this burner and find it more manageable.  I also do not need the welding gloves while using it with a long handled wok.

Personally, you cannot go wrong with either a 60k BTU or a 160k BTU burner.  One is like a Top Fuel Dragster, and the other is like Pro Stock.
    Great insight. Thank you for this. Im still going for the top fuel dragster but it’s nice to know there are sensible
    options out there for normal people 😂
    I don't think anyone has ever accused you of that...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,432
    edited June 2022
    I just tried to get THE WOK from my library . . all 29 copies are out & hold list is up to 20 :s Never seen that before !

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    PCP92 said:

Mid-year bonus sounds luxurious. My company spends the back half of the year trying claw back what I made in the first half lol. 

Benefits of working for Uncle Sam in a highly technical field. :wink:
    This is true, mid year bonuses are nice.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    edited June 2022
    CP92 said:
    Looks amazing!  Temp control on a wok is crucial, so is being able to adjust the temp quickly.  I have found I prefer my gas burners for this. Did you use the egg?
    I did. I just pull it off when I need to calm it down. I may get a wok burner but the egg works pretty well for me. 
    Started my wok adventure a couple of weeks ago and like you I've already started researching a dedicated wok burner. Highly suspect that's what my mid-year bonus is going to go to along with a Blackstone I believe.

Chris
    Mid-year bonus sounds luxurious. My company spends the back half of the year trying claw back what I made in the first half lol. 
    My company has an executive only mid-year bonus program.  For us non-execs it is called, "We need to meet metrics, you work harder for no more pay".

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    I got a mid year bonus last year.  It was labeled severance package. 
  • I got a mid year bonus last year.  It was labeled severance package. 
    There is something to be said for getting paid not to work for your a-hole boss anymore. For a while anyway
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn said:
    For those looking for a wok burner, I have a few different ones of varying power.  The 160k BTU burner Kenji recommends is amazing.  It is very dynamic and allows going from cool heat to insane heat in a flash.  Really goes beyond my feeble skills.

I have a 60k BTU burner that has excellent temp control and enables the wok to get incredibly hot.  It is not as dynamic and takes a 10-15 seconds to go from cool heat to ripping hot.  I still get great wok hei on this burner and find it more manageable.  I also do not need the welding gloves while using it with a long handled wok.

Personally, you cannot go wrong with either a 60k BTU or a 160k BTU burner.  One is like a Top Fuel Dragster, and the other is like Pro Stock.
    Great insight. Thank you for this. Im still going for the top fuel dragster but it’s nice to know there are sensible
    options out there for normal people 😂
    I don't think anyone has ever accused you of that...
    Not even at home
  • theyolksonyou
    There is something to be said for getting paid not to work for your a-hole boss anymore. For a while anyway
    Agree button engaged.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,851
    Agree button engaged.

+1
    NOLA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Agree button engaged.
    I thought you were in the carpet game?  Did supply chain woes and inflation hit that industry?

• theyolksonyou
    Agree button engaged.
    I thought you were in the carpet game?  Did supply chain woes and inflation hit that industry?
    DM sent
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,147
    Agree button engaged.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The 3rd one was me. You deserve that. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2022
    The 3rd one was me. You deserve that. 

• The mental gymnastics of disliking me disliking you must be hard to reconc….oh who am I kidding here lol 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    The mental gymnastics of disliking me disliking you must be hard to reconc….oh who am I kidding here lol 

The fact you thought about them "thinking" cracks me up.

• The mental gymnastics of disliking me disliking you must be hard to reconc….oh who am I kidding here lol 

Wish we could get a #truth button 
  • theyolksonyou
    Without a button, I’m disliking the fact that you dislike the fact that they dislike you disliking them.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    The mental gymnastics of disliking me disliking you must be hard to reconc….oh who am I kidding here lol 

There is a Twitter button right there at the bottom, to the right of the Facebook one.  I bet if we ask the Buffalo nicely he would add a Truth Social button...
  • theyolksonyou

There is a Twitter button right there at the bottom, to the right of the Facebook one.  I bet if we ask the Buffalo nicely he would add a Truth Social button...
    After Elon takes over they’ll be essentially the same. 
  • JohnInCarolina

Well, except for the very large difference in members...

I am usually on mobile (so no buttons) and I don’t do any of “the buttons” anyway. That said, I cannot imagine the magnitude of the jizzload of some people on here if we had a truth social button. 
  • theyolksonyou

Well, except for the very large difference in members...
    Never let the facts get in the way of a good story. 
  • JohnInCarolina

I am usually on mobile (so no buttons) and I don’t do any of “the buttons” anyway. That said, I cannot imagine the magnitude of the jizzload of some people on here if we had a truth social button. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Note to self: do not do a Google image search on "jizz gif" ever again.  
  • Note to self: do not do a Google image search on "jizz gif" ever again.  
    #truth
  • Turns out jizzload.com is available for anyone interested. 

Allegedly- as I have never searched for it so I wouldn’t know. 
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 603
    How fast do these burners blow through propane? I suppose even the stupid high BTU's aren't actually on that long to heat a wok.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited June 2022
    FrostyEgg said:
    How fast do these burners blow through propane? I suppose even the stupid high BTU's aren't actually on that long to heat a wok.

That is like asking mpg for your Lamborghini.

A 20lb propane tank holds about 420,000 btus.  So the 160,000 btu burner will get around 2.6 hrs at full whack.  I probably use full burner for less than a minute during any cook.  It os usually at 50% or less.