Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head's Up- National Brisket Day, Saturday May 28th-time to give it a go!

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,342
Thought I would toss out an alertment so that everyone has time to find, thaw or give the cow a practice run.  Above all, have fun.  Always remember-the friggin cow drives the cook. Here's to finding the proverbial "feels like buttah" outcome. 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Thank You 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Leopoldstoch
    Leopoldstoch Posts: 1,182
    Options
    An excuse for the srf brisket in my freezer! 😀

Brandon - Ohio

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Costco here had prime packers for $3.99 per pound, yesterday.  I should have stocked up!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Brisket prices have dropped quite a bit while the friggin chix wings have remained in the stratusphere.  Go figure.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Will be doing Brisket a couple times this month, thank you for the update.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @lousubcap

... it finishes in 8 hours.....
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Mine will be here Tuesday! 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I am so deep into National Brisket Day courtesy of my sister who had not sent me anything in five plus years.  Out of the blue late last November I receive the following from SRF (she knew of my brisket buys from them):

This is on for the duration on the stick burner as I don't own a XXL BGE.  I will be lucky if it finishes on NBD.  The stick feeding adventure will become not fun a few hours into the challenge.  I will likely run at 300*F or so. 
    I

Time to get you a Gravity Feed Cap!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    Options
    largest one I have ever done was 14 lbs, after a very vigorous trimming. SRF Black grade, I think was about 20 lbs in the package. Finished in 10 hours at 250F. Strange cook, stalled and wrapped at 160F pulled at 194F IT, and it was great. I let it sit wrapped in the yeti 4 hours.

Best of luck cap, hoping it turns out wonderful.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Shameless bump back to page 1.  
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Thanks.  Gotta get a brisky out of the freezer.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @lkapigian - you aren't messin' around with that Gold.  Many someones are gonna be eating quite well.  
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian - you aren't messin' around with that Gold.  Many someones are gonna be eating quite well.  
    Thanks @lousubcap , I assume it will be ok thawing and left in the fridge , no real pack date on it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    edited May 2022
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks @lousubcap , I assume it will be ok thawing and left in the fridge , no real pack date on it 
    @lkapigian - I've never seen a pack date on any SRF brisket- I routinely thaw/wet age in the 28+day range and no issues.  
    I have always had good luck with calling them.  You will easily get thru the customer service rep with your question to someone who will provide more detailed information.  But given what seems to be their volume I doubt you will get much definitive info. Their contact info 877.736.0193.  They run on MDT- FWIW-
  • lkapigian
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    lkapigian said:
    lousubcap said:
    @lkapigian - I've never seen a pack date on any SRF brisket- I routinely thaw/wet age in the 28+day range and no issues.  
    I have always had good luck with calling them.  You will easily get thru the customer service rep with your question to someone who will provide more detailed information.  But given what seems to be their volume I doubt you will get much definitive info. Their contact info 877.736.0193.  They run on MDT- FWIW-
    Thanks Cap
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SRF has a 20% off, store wide, starting tomorrow.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,420
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    SRF has a 20% off, store wide, starting tomorrow.
    I came here to mention this. Already have my shopping cart loaded, awaiting trigger pull
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for this important PSA, Frank. I have some seasoned and bagged pieces of brisket begging for a whirl in the hot tub, so I’ll have to commit to the cause. 

As I know you will no doubt be celebrating the occasion in style, I’m putting you on notice that I very much hope to see your results! Please be sure to include a shot of your beverage of choice as well. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Looks like I’m ordering from srf tomorrow. Hard to pass up 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• kl8ton
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Looks like I’m ordering from srf tomorrow. Hard to pass up 
    Right?  Buy 4 get one free! 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    My 20% off ain’t working yet……
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Just got the SRF 20% off email.  Jumped in -the code is SRFFAM22.  
    Applies to all orders over $99-.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    Done-zo! Be here the 14th. I'm ready for the 28th
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColbyLang
    Options
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 82
    Options
    We have 2 Sam's Clubs within 5 miles of us and they have really good prime brisket for I think about $4.5/lb right now. How much better is the SRF than this? Gold or black? I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference when I know the prime is really good but also, I'd get pretty nervous cooking one of those babies!!
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2022
    Options
    wps456 said:
    We have 2 Sam's Clubs within 5 miles of us and they have really good prime brisket for I think about $4.5/lb right now. How much better is the SRF than this? Gold or black? I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference when I know the prime is really good but also, I'd get pretty nervous cooking one of those babies!!
    Worlds of difference , it’s a treat but not something you’d do every brisket cook, it’s a bit rich ......But for special occasions it is worth it 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    wps456 said:
    Worlds of difference , it’s a treat but not something you’d do every brisket cook, it’s a bit rich ......But for special occasions it is worth it 
    If you are into the challenges of brisket cooks, SRF can take you deep into that rabbit hole.  As @lkapigian notes, definitely worth it for special occasions and you will find your special occasions definition broadens over time.  
    And the process for any brisket cook is the same-just the audibles are always different.  FWIW-