Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,107
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The Yank version I am familiar with are called pork rinds on this side.  About the same recipe.  
    Now we do amp it up a bit with pork cracklings which are pork rinds with some extra fat attached.   This excess fat provides a meatier texture and a more intense flavor than traditional pork rinds.  Supposedly first created in Louisiana.  
    My uncle ( a Duke grad ) after a long career as an accountant and business manager for Duke power retired. He called my dad and asked him for my grandads fried pork skin recipe. My dad taught him how to make them in the same woodfired kettle fireplace where my grandad made them for our general store starting in the 20s. My uncle made millions selling them all over the world. You may have seen them around NC under this branding. Carolina Country Snacks

That is so cool!
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    The Yank version I am familiar with are called pork rinds on this side.  About the same recipe.  
    Now we do amp it up a bit with pork cracklings which are pork rinds with some extra fat attached.   This excess fat provides a meatier texture and a more intense flavor than traditional pork rinds.  Supposedly first created in Louisiana.  
    My uncle ( a Duke grad ) after a long career as an accountant and business manager for Duke power retired. He called my dad and asked him for my grandads fried pork skin recipe. My dad taught him how to make them in the same woodfired kettle fireplace where my grandad made them for our general store starting in the 20s. My uncle made millions selling them all over the world. You may have seen them around NC under this branding. Carolina Country Snacks

Ordered these just now.  Wanted to try the fat Back, but didn't need 24 bags.

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    lousubcap said:

That is so cool!
    He sold the operation and brand to Wise right before covid. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    lousubcap said:

That is so cool!
    He sold the operation and brand to Wise right before covid. 
    Hopefully they didn't monkey with the product.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @SamIAm2 that is looking amazing. Gonna feel all cosmopolitan with that indoor plumbing up and running.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Had a work-related conversation today.  There's a young star faculty at the University of Chicago who is interested in moving to Duke.  Good chance we'll pull that off.  During the discussion with our faculty, we found out this same star had interviewed at UNC a few years ago while they were just starting out, and UNC had passed.

I commented that this wouldn't be the first time Carolina had blown an easy win... #sorry #notsorry
    That is cutting to the quick.  BTW- watching the UVA-Duke round ball game?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Saving the world one order at a time.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Had a work-related conversation today.  There's a young star faculty at the University of Chicago who is interested in moving to Duke.  Good chance we'll pull that off.  During the discussion with our faculty, we found out this same star had interviewed at UNC a few years ago while they were just starting out, and UNC had passed.

I commented that this wouldn't be the first time Carolina had blown an easy win... #sorry #notsorry
    Of course!  It’s a good game.  Some cobwebs they needed to shake off, this one will likely go down to the wire.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    lousubcap said:

Of course!  It’s a good game.  Some cobwebs they needed to shake off, this one will likely go down to the wire.
    You aren’t lying about that. What a shot. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Being shocked at the aftermarket price of a top for the wife’s Bronco. Nothing like double the cost of a 4 door wrangler top
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Well, F
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Trying to figure out what went wrong.   Edited to add, when you're retired every day is Friday.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Trying to figure out what went wrong.   Edited to add, when you're retired every day is Friday.

@SGH
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @CTMike made me an absolutely gorgeous walnut cutting board.  It has been lost in transit (UPS) for about a week.  Finally said it was delivered at 8pm.  Ran out like a kid at Christmas ..... and you all know where this is headed.  No box.  No package.  No cutting board 😭

Checked all the usual places, I live on the boonies so I know it wasn't stolen.  UPS delivered it somewhere else.  UPS says they cannot help me as the receiver.  Totally heart broke right now.

Edit: Drove down the road and found it by a neighbors gate!  I snagged it, so hopefully I don't wind up on the news.  I txt him and told him I grabbed it, but I don't know him real well.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    A work of art. Too pretty to use!  That is some nice walnut there.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    That cutting board…..where’s the damn heart ❤️ emoji when you need it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SamIAm2 very nice. That's a hellacious job.   Makes me thankful I'm on a raised foundation.  I have run pipe and cables all over under the house, it's just tight and dirty.

I guess the tunneling option was going to be more expensive, or there was a reason why they couldn't go that route....
    Options
    A few weeks ago I deposited a check in person at my Credit Union, and the clerk told me I had enough of a balance to qualify for "Premium Checking", would I be interested?  I said Sure and kinda forgot about it.  

Today paying bills online, I noticed the "Premium Benefits" box and clicked on it.  It gives me:
    - Identity Theft protection insurance
    - Damage/loss insurance for my smartphone, $850/claim, unlimited claims!
    - A lot of coupons for local businesses
    - They cover any ATM fees I might incur at other institutions, and
    - A few other things that I can't use

I just have to maintain a $1,500 balance in my checking account; those first two benefits are certainly worth it!  If you use a credit union it might be worth checking (har!) to see if your CU offers something similar.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @SamIAm2 very nice. That's a hellacious job.   Makes me thankful I'm on a raised foundation.  I have run pipe and cables all over under the house, it's just tight and dirty.

I guess the tunneling option was going to be more expensive, or there was a reason why they couldn't go that route....

Thanks @nolaegghead. It may not look like cutting the concrete was the best option but years ago I was involved with a friends excavation under his sister's slab where the kitchen had a copper pipe water leak and she couldn't afford professional services. Friend and I dug out the sand, found the leak, repaired, and backfilled the sand.

Trying to manually fill to the bottom of the concrete foundation using a sledgehammer to pack it in was a real issue. Holding a piece of plywood at the top of the layer we built up, adding sand behind the plywood, and then pounding with a sledge hammer with the other hand was not really that successful.  Rinse repeat until all the sand was added back under the slab. Even taking turns working under the slab was very tiring. We were also younger, dumber, and stronger then.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

Thanks @nolaegghead. It may not look like cutting the concrete was the best option but years ago I was involved with a friends excavation under his sister's slab where the kitchen had a copper pipe water leak and she couldn't afford professional services. Friend and I dug out the sand, found the leak, repaired, and backfilled the sand.

Trying to manually fill to the bottom of the concrete foundation using a sledgehammer to pack it in was a real issue. Holding a piece of plywood at the top of the layer we built up, adding sand behind the plywood, and then pounding with a sledge hammer with the other hand was not really that successful.  Rinse repeat until all the sand was added back under the slab. Even taking turns working under the slab was very tiring. We were also younger, dumber, and stronger then.
    If I had to do the job, I'd cut through it.  Unless I had some kind of machine that did the tunneling, being in a hole under a slab is a nightmare scenario for me.

One option that I used at my mom's old house was running new pipes through the attic and down the walls.  Obviously won't work for floor drains.

Options
    Awesome progress @SamIAm2

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    ive heard theres a guy in maine that has indoor piping, why hide it =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    @kl8ton - Appreciate that. It is a project that was a long time getting to this point. Still have a lot more work to do after all the tradesmen are done. But since every day is Friday for me it will fill my days.

@nolaegghead - the job I mentioned was only from the outside wall of her house to the sink area, about 4 feet. The job for this renovation was almost all the way thru the house. Didn't need to rip out the CI from the original bathroom since it won't backup from the 2 foot distance to the new PVC. Real problem was that from the beginning of the house build, the cast iron pipe was basically a flat sewer line. That was the reason they had to dig down so much.

@fishlessmanB) . Not everybody appreciates the industrial look in their abode.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Waiting for my XL Base to be delivered. I have had a warranty claim in since 1/18/21.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    @kl8ton - Appreciate that. It is a project that was a long time getting to this point. Still have a lot more work to do after all the tradesmen are done. But since every day is Friday for me it will fill my days.

@nolaegghead - the job I mentioned was only from the outside wall of her house to the sink area, about 4 feet. The job for this renovation was almost all the way thru the house. Didn't need to rip out the CI from the original bathroom since it won't backup from the 2 foot distance to the new PVC. Real problem was that from the beginning of the house build, the cast iron pipe was basically a flat sewer line. That was the reason they had to dig down so much.

@fishlessmanB) . Not everybody appreciates the industrial look in their abode.

ive frozen a fair amount of water line, but its a drain that goes under the slab about a foot to a grey water leach that seems to be the worst. it will back up to a second floor sink. the water lines in outside walls are a problem but easily thawed as they are mostly shot runs. i rerouted longer runs under a built in tub away from the walls
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it