Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Eggers: Ida

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,381
    ColtsFan said:
    Storm damage aside, am I the only one thinking this could be a public safety emergency? It’s a COVID rampant area with a lot of unvaccinated people who will now be seeking shelter by the masses, together. 
    Scary!
    A few cities that issued evacuations made it very clear there were no shelters that were going to open….presumably for this very reason. NOLA’s mayor telling citizens to shelter in place….not sure if that was a smart move at this point. She claimed too late to issue mandatory evacuations. 

Lafayette is at the apex of I-10 and I-49. I-10 west and I-49 North are gridlocked with evacuees
    seeking safety elsewhere. No fuel to be had in town here. Grocery shelves picked clean of essentials. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    ColtsFan said:
    Storm damage aside, am I the only one thinking this could be a public safety emergency? It’s a COVID rampant area with a lot of unvaccinated people who will now be seeking shelter by the masses, together. 
    Scary!
    No.  You are not alone.  This could be worse than Katrina.  Just playing the odds, it probably won't be, but it could be.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Foghorn said:
    ColtsFan said:
    Scary!
    No.  You are not alone.  This could be worse than Katrina.  Just playing the odds, it probably won't be, but it could be.

Extremely unlikely for a number of reasons - particularly the amount of upgrades to NOLA's flood prevention system and the fact that this storm as about a third of the total storm energy of Katrina.

No doubt it is a serious powerful storm, but it is not Katrina.
    NOLA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    I 10 eastbound in Mississippi is gridlocked all the way past Mobile Alabama. People in LA probably need to go North to I 20 before heading East or West. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Now a Cat 3.  Soon to be Cat 4.

Closer to NOLA. 

Port Fourchon is the hub for the huge offshore mining operations in the gulf in LA.  It's going to get hammered plus a good number of the 1800 and some platforms in the gulf.

End result: oil supply will drop, prices will rise.

Sorry folks, this impacts everyone.
    My bad, now a Cat 4.
    My bad, now a Cat 4.

Ida is rollin'.
    NOLA
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited August 2021
    We may be in New England, but have room if any of you impacted by this can make it up here.

Stay safe to those in the path of the storm.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    This baby may hit Cat5. Getting wicked
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• ColbyLang
    Stay safe @nolaegghead, she’s about to come ashore 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    edited August 2021
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    I was watching as that clip ran on MTP.  
    Hunker down as this is packing a lot of energy.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    News needs to be entertaining because it's competitive.

Viewers = money.

That's my guess anyway.
    News needs to be entertaining because it's competitive.

Viewers = money.

That's my guess anyway.
    Sure.  I mean, watching Al Roker jump off a building without a parachute would be even more entertaining.  Maybe that's coming up next.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • buzd504

That's the lakefront outside of the levee system, not "the streets of New Orleans".  It's raining pretty hard so far, but we are not underwater.
    NOLA
  • buzd504

I have never understood why American news organizations feel the need to film reporters literally getting pummeled by wind and rain and waves to illustrate how bad a storm is.  Why do we keep doing this?  It’s galactically stupid.

God, the national press sucks.  You can watch our local coverage on youtube.  Google WWL, WDSU, or WVUE.
    NOLA
  • buzd504 said:

I have never understood why American news organizations feel the need to film reporters literally getting pummeled by wind and rain and waves to illustrate how bad a storm is.  Why do we keep doing this?  It’s galactically stupid.

God, the national press sucks.  You can watch our local coverage on youtube.  Google WWL, WDSU, or WVUE.
    They find the most severe extreme and run with it. 

I remember one storm were a reporter was sitting I. A boat reporting the flooding and then right behind them two guys so strolling by in ankle deep water. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited August 2021
    Wind speed at Grand Isle was 136, then their anemometer broke.   :|

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Botch said:
    Wind speed at Grand Isle was 136, then their anemometer broke.   :|
    A anchor handler in Mississippi Canyon has recorded gusts of 187. Don’t know will they become part of the official record or not. But you can bet your boots those readings are correct. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• buzd504
    buzd504 said:

They find the most severe extreme and run with it. 

I remember one storm were a reporter was sitting I. A boat reporting the flooding and then right behind them two guys so strolling by in ankle deep water. 

That was Katrina. I remember that. 
    NOLA
  • ColbyLang
    DeepWater rig Mars has come broken away from its position. That ain’t good at all. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Seeing reports that the Mighty Mississippi is flowing backwards due to storm surge and wind. It’s happened before but still phenomenal 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    buzd504 said:

When I was living in Memphis the NBC nightly news did a quick segment about the flooding in downtowns Memphis and how Beale street was under water. Technically it was, the part of the road that dead ends into the River. They made it seem like all the bars and restaurants that are way up on the Bluff were flooded. It was so stupid. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    It’s pretty nasty now. We lost power about an hour ago. Winds are stronger than I would want to expose myself to.  
    New Orleans LA
  • nolaegghead
    Internet out.  Phone still works.  Getting nasty up in here.
    @nolaegghead

see you on the other side, please stay safe.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • buzd504
    ColbyLang said:
    DeepWater rig Mars has come broken away from its position. That ain’t good at all. 
    That’s a false rumor. 
    NOLA