Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Moussaka!
    How’d it turn out? When I was a kid, a neighbor used to make this. It was darn good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @caliking can you send me the info on how you made this.  I’m thinking it could be killer mixed into some homemade vanilla ice cream.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Hopefully low rent bourbon but bourbon and habanero  sounds great.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Chicken quesadillas 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    ryantt said:
    @caliking can you send me the info on how you made this.  I’m thinking it could be killer mixed into some homemade vanilla ice cream.  

I don't want the recipe.  I'm too lazy for that.  I want to send my daughter by your house next weekend and have her pick up 2 jars - one for her and one for me.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    lousubcap said:
    Hopefully low rent bourbon but bourbon and habanero  sounds great.  
    This is all I had on hand. Wasn't a total waste. 

• caliking
    Wifey is scolding me for not having plated these, but here is a pic of my S-I-L’s handmade chocolates. Some are mango white chocolate, some are peanut butter, some are coffee and some are passion fruit. She’s pretty darn talented, IMO. 

I flagged you for abuse. You should know better. 

Those are artful. They deserve better. 

• caliking
    Foghorn said:
    ryantt said:

I don't want the recipe.  I'm too lazy for that.  I want to send my daughter by your house next weekend and have her pick up 2 jars - one for her and one for me.

ryantt said:
    @Foghorn ...That could be arranged.

Only because we like your kids, more than we like you.

• caliking said:
    Wifey is scolding me for not having plated these, but here is a pic of my S-I-L’s handmade chocolates. Some are mango white chocolate, some are peanut butter, some are coffee and some are passion fruit. She’s pretty darn talented, IMO. 

I flagged you for abuse. You should know better. 

Those are artful. They deserve better. 
    Can’t argue there. Just agreed with you. 
  • caliking
    @ryantt:

I've bought 2 jars of jam/marmalade from a store, in the last 3 yrs or so.

Other references that ive found useful:
    https://www.seriouseats.com/jam-making-101-pectin-sugar-gel-point

https://utia.tennessee.edu/humphrey/wp-content/uploads/sites/121/2020/05/Low-or-No-Sugar-in-Jams-Jellies-and-Preserves.pdf

The Ball recipes are usually too sweet, and too "set" for my liking, so I typically add 20% less of the pectin,  and sugar,  that they call for.

I don't understand all of the chemistry re: pectin, acid, sugar... but there's something to it. 

• caliking
    lousubcap said:
    Played with the the stick burner and the cow really did a number but it was a great protein feed.  SRF plate beef ribs;

8 plus hours at around 250-275*F in the cooker.
    And the $$ shot:

A late meat coma is on the way!
    Stay healthy and safe out there-
    This is what it looks like, when a smoker and meat have sexy time...

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited August 2021
    @caliking - I need to get into the human rotation.   =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • @lousubcap holy cow!  🤤
    XL BGE, Large BGE, Small BGE, Weber Summit NG                                                                                               
    Memphis  
  • @caliking - moussaka turned out great!  My wife love this stuff.  I usually double the spices listed in the recipe - including the serrano peppers.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Nice cheffing, Fish.  Especially like the sear on that rack of corn.

new to me was starting in the husk with the silk unopened, partially cooked, then shucked and tossed on grill with the sauce. i usually just serve them in the husk and found direct grilling it shucked to overcook everytime losing the sweetness. this worked rather well, corn stayed sweet. its a keeper but dont see being that ambitious for a crowd, they can shuck there own =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

new to me was starting in the husk with the silk unopened, partially cooked, then shucked and tossed on grill with the sauce. i usually just serve them in the husk and found direct grilling it shucked to overcook everytime losing the sweetness. this worked rather well, corn stayed sweet. its a keeper but dont see being that ambitious for a crowd, they can shuck there own =)
    so in other words, a reverse sear ;)

so in other words, a reverse sear ;)

reverse sear med/rare rack of corn ribs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    @caliking - moussaka turned out great!  My wife love this stuff.  I usually double the spices listed in the recipe - including the serrano peppers.
     It looks delicious! Could you share the recipe? 

• @calikinghttps://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/moussaka-recipe-1923618.  This is the base recipe.  I bake the eggplant in the oven instead of frying it and double the meat spices, garlic and serranos.
    XL and Small BGEs in South Carolina
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    SonVolt said:
    Roasted some cherry tomatoes in the wood-fired oven this weekend, along with some Portobello and Artichokes.  Vegetables roasted over high-heat are on another level.  This kids enjoyed it, so mission accomplished. 

love steamed artichokes, never once thought of roasting them.  Added to "the list".  :triumph:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Green lightening shrimp and grilled spare rib “flap” meat. Presentation sucks, food didn’t. Should’ve left more seeds in the jalapeños, shrimp weren’t spicy enough. 

I was cutting whole pares into St. Louis ribs today and kept a piece of the tips/flap meat. Hit it with the tenderizing mallet and some S & P. Cooked hot and fast. I was surprised at the tenderness. Cheers to Monday! 🍻