Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Recreational Drone Recommendations

Comments

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Perfect shot!  I can hear, see, and feel that picture!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think this is my new favorite thread. 

Have any of you tried smoking meat with your drone?
     Do you think steak would age faster being dragged through the air at 88 mph?
    There's only one way to find out!!!
    I think we are missing the biggest opportunity to do a real caveman steak, drag steak with drone + fly drone through volcano = caveman steak.  Thickness and determined finish may determine if lingering above volcano to start is required for reverse sear.
    Or drag it over a canopy fire, there are plenty of them right now, sadly.

nolaegghead said:
    I would recommend putting cards in both and just leaving them in there so when you do find something interesting, like someone blowing bubbles, you can hit record.  
    Pervert.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Day 2 - getting better , but how does this happen 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Ouch!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    lkapigian said:
    Day 2 - getting better , but how does this happen 

Looks like you forgot to adjust the whatzawhozit and the thingamagjig. A common mistake for beginners.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    I will venture two guesses. 
     1 you were screwing around.
     2 you weren’t wearing the goggles
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    Correct lol, Linda did have the goggles on though ...im working my way up to it
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    edited July 2021
    Did you guys catch the drone display for the Opening Ceremony in Tokyo?  Mind-boggling.  (skip to about 1:30)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXoW2iHfVYA

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• alaskanassasin
    At least she saw it coming 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    lkapigian said:
    I’d hate to think of what she was actually aiming for…
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian said:
    I’d hate to think of what she was actually aiming for…

At least she saw it coming 
    I was flying it, that was the sad thing 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Botch said:
    Did you guys catch the drone display for the Opening Ceremony in Tokyo?  Mind-boggling.  (skip to about 1:30)  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXoW2iHfVYA

I also thought of this thread when I saw that.  However, I was at my boss's house so I didn't mention the Eggheadforum as the source of 90% of everything I know about drones...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Does anyone else read “Recreational Drug Recommendations” when they see this thread?
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Does anyone else read “Recreational Drug Recommendations” when they see this thread?
    I recommend edibles…oh wait, wrong thread 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I am getting one of these.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • ColtsFan

• alaskanassasin
    What did you end up getting? @ColtsFan
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    That is the DJI Mini II from Costco 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    ColtsFan said:
    That is the DJI Mini II from Costco 
    Make sure your batteries recharge properly. My 1st one wouldn't and I had to return it for a new one. This new one works fine. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    edited September 2021
    Lost my DJI FPV on Sunday night, not sure what happened , but I think a very close transmission tower threw it off on its return to home...idiot me, it was dark and the goggles were pretty useless, I did see it land on the grass, albeit no idea where as it never made it home, never even saw it in the sky....F it, don't sweat the small stuff, I have DJI Care Refresh, problem is, the DJI FPV is not covered for flyaway.

Contacted DJI Support, said they would replace it, if it was not user error, "send us the flight data" , ok, how the hell do I do that....Tech support gave me a link, downloaded from the goggles ( which by the way recorded what I thought was the last 30 seconds " )

Sent them the data and could see the flight pattern go haywire....once I had the new data , I tried the "find my drone" all be, get the f out of here", looked like it was a block away in someone's backyard, I walked over there, knocked on the door ( this was the next day) and after a brief a$$ chewing for flying a drone near her house, she politely handed me my drone "here sweetheart" 

lessons learned , if you can't see it at night, don't do it....install a Microchip in the goggles, not just the drone and keep recording Never Ever "here, hold my beer" fly ...

The End
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian said:
    Lost my DJI FPV on Sunday night, not sure what happened , but I think a very close transmission tower threw it off on its return to home...idiot me, it was dark and the goggles were pretty useless, I did see it land on the grass, albeit no idea where as it never made it home, never even saw it in the sky....F it, don't sweat the small stuff, I have DJI Care Refresh, problem is, the DJI FPV is not covered for flyaway.

Contacted DJI Support, said they would replace it, if it was not user error, "send us the flight data" , ok, how the hell do I do that....Tech support gave me a link, downloaded from the goggles ( which by the way recorded what I thought was the last 30 seconds " )

Sent them the data and could see the flight pattern go haywire....once I had the new data , I tried the "find my drone" all be, get the f out of here", looked like it was a block away in someone's backyard, I walked over there, knocked on the door ( this was the next day) and after a brief a$$ chewing for flying a drone near her house, she politely handed me my drone "here sweetheart" 

lessons learned , if you can't see it at night, don't do it....install a Microchip in the goggles, not just the drone and keep recording Never Ever "here, hold my beer" fly ...

The End
    I'm glad you got it back.

Seems worth the price of being called a "sweetheart".  I think. 

Of course now I'm wondering if these things can be rigged up with night vision so that you can see in the dark.  I'm willing to bet they can and are and that the only difference is an extra grand or two in cost.  
  • nolaegghead
    What a scare.  I'm not sure you could see a wire with night vision goggles.  Best to just stay away from, or well above, any power lines unless you are extremely familiar with the location layout and comfortable flying it. 
    That said, I lost mine a few days ago, lost video feed, couldn't see it.  I hit the "home button" and got the signal back, no problems. 

I was flying it another after that at night, but too chicken to move around much, but it's pretty save going straight up.  Was just trying to see the scope of who had/didn't have power.
    What a scare.  I'm not sure you could see a wire with night vision goggles.  Best to just stay away from, or well above, any power lines unless you are extremely familiar with the location layout and comfortable flying it. 
    I was up about 220 meters just trying to be safe, can't really hear or see it visually @ that point, still using it in the normal mode which is plenty for me 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    lkapigian said:

The End

he is checking me out....arsehole

wait, he was checking me out...here sweetheart

door closes, mom, he is a peeping tom...911
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    lkapigian said:
    I was up about 220 meters just trying to be safe, can't really hear or see it visually @ that point, still using it in the normal mode which is plenty for me 

I keep forgetting you have mountains around you.  Don't forget to set the minimum height for auto-home high enough to clear anything around where you're flying.   For me, around 60 feet is good enough.

On second thought… nah, where’s the fun in that?  😂
  • nolaegghead
    Generally speaking, if you don't try flying it though solids or liquids, you are fine.