Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Botch said:
    Today I got some "merch".  

Most of my cast-iron cookware is enameled.  I have used a piece or two in the Egg, and I was able to clean the smoke stain off the enamel, but it took about 20 minutes of scrubbing, and I decided I needed some totally-bare CI to use on the Egg, let it stain to its heart's content.  And sorta forgot about it.  

Couple weeks ago, Sam the Cooking Guy announced his 12" CI frypan, with steep walls; yes!  It was a bit pricey for CI ($79), but a) he makes me laugh daily, and gain weight weekly, and b) it came with a tight-fitting glass lid, which is unusual for CI.  The lid has a rubber/soft-plastic knob with his logo embossed; I wouldn't put the cover in the oven or Egg but it's perfect for frying.  And still 1/3 the price of my 12" Le Creuset, of 30 years ago.  

It came "lightly seasoned", I'm going to take an orbital sander to the bottom/sides and get it smoother, and then reseason it.  

A couple other guys flew into space this month, but I have a "1st Edition" frypan, So There!  :triumph:  

Looks great.  I'm skeptical an orbital sander will do much without burning you (and the sander and running through a lot of sandpaper) out.   But I've been wrong before!

its pretty quick

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Botch said:

Most of my cast-iron cookware is enameled.  I have used a piece or two in the Egg, and I was able to clean the smoke stain off the enamel, but it took about 20 minutes of scrubbing, and I decided I needed some totally-bare CI to use on the Egg, let it stain to its heart's content.  And sorta forgot about it.  

I use the cheap Lodge enameled stuff for the egg and just leave it outside. It gets stained, but I don't worry about... as long as I don't have to deal with seasoning and rusting it's all good.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Botch said:

Couple weeks ago, Sam the Cooking Guy announced his 12" CI frypan, with steep walls; yes!  It was a bit pricey for CI ($79), but a) he makes me laugh daily, and gain weight weekly, and b) it came with a tight-fitting glass lid, which is unusual for CI.  The lid has a rubber/soft-plastic knob with his logo embossed; I wouldn't put the cover in the oven or Egg but it's perfect for frying.  And still 1/3 the price of my 12" Le Creuset, of 30 years ago.  

It came "lightly seasoned", I'm going to take an orbital sander to the bottom/sides and get it smoother, and then reseason it.  

A couple other guys flew into space this month, but I have a "1st Edition" frypan, So There!  :triumph:  

Looks great.  I'm skeptical an orbital sander will do much without burning you (and the sander and running through a lot of sandpaper) out.   But I've been wrong before!

It worked in a couple of pieces of low-quality cast iron I picked up at the local grocery store.  It took the bumps down and after washing thoroughly, and seasoning, it works much better.  It is hard to tell in the photo, but the inside is now much smoother than the outside.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I was thinking the goal was to remove the texture from a sand cast so it's more like a milled. 
    Options
    I was thinking the goal was to remove the texture from a sand cast so it's more like a milled. 

the pits fill in with time and seasoning with the raw cast iron pans. the newer preseasoned lodges ive had that preseason start to flake and getting it off those newer pans is ridiculous without sanding as it tends to cling to the pores and restart the flaking problem. no problems since sanding it off.
    fukahwee maine

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    I tried that on a Lodge with 80 grit, and pretty much got gummy paper and a little smoothing. Lots of effort for little payoff.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• SonVolt
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I kind of feel like the benefits of antique polished cast iron are exaggerated a bit.  Personally, I can't tell a difference in non-stick performance from my bumpy Lodge and my mirror-smooth carbon steel skillets.  
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    Carbon steel all the way, if nothing this forum has taught me - the cold rolled steel of the Blackstone is superior to your cancerous non-stick coatings.  Die you pigs, in your non-stick...die.  

Just kidding, forum nazi's...JK!  
    Arlington, TX
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Prepping.

I notice on the box it says dual fuel. I presume that is wind and solar powered  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    DFW said:
    Carbon steel all the way, if nothing this forum has taught me - the cold rolled steel of the Blackstone is superior to your cancerous non-stick coatings.  Die you pigs, in your non-stick...die.  

I may be showing my age here, but my first cooking guru was PBS's "The Frugal Gourmet" (may he rot in hell).  He always stressed the importance of not using stainless steel pots (like my Mom did) because it had hot spots and burned things (which it does).  
    I didn't understand the recent bruhaha about carbon steel cookware, I had always assumed (ass, me) all steels had pretty much the same coefficient of thermal conductivity, but you got me to look it up.  They don't!  Carbon steel has almost three times the thermal conductivity as stainless.  
    But, look at some of the other metals' conductivity:

Aluminum cookware has over five times the TC of carbon steel, and copper over nine times.  There is a place in Turkey that sells cookware made of 99% pure silver, that I'd been tempted to order from (ooh, la-dee-dah!) but now seeing its only marginally better than copper, that idea is zapped.
    I learned something today.     

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SonVolt
    edited July 2021
    Options
    People don't generally cook with 100%  stainless though. Even boomers, before the advent of cladded designs, used stainless with a thick aluminum disc welded to the bottom.  That said, I never cooked with Faberware (etc) so they may have legit sucked, just like the kiddie diddler said. 

For sheer performance, my favorite cookware is 5MM thick raw aluminum.  Pentoli Agnelli is imported from Italy and a steal on Amazon when you can find it. 

http://www.agnelliusa.com

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Botch said:
    DFW said:

I may be showing my age here, but my first cooking guru was PBS's "The Frugal Gourmet" (may he rot in hell).  He always stressed the importance of not using stainless steel pots (like my Mom did) because it had hot spots and burned things (which it does).  
    I didn't understand the recent bruhaha about carbon steel cookware, I had always assumed (ass, me) all steels had pretty much the same coefficient of thermal conductivity, but you got me to look it up.  They don't!  Carbon steel has almost three times the thermal conductivity as stainless.  

Aluminum cookware has over five times the TC of carbon steel, and copper over nine times.  There is a place in Turkey that sells cookware made of 99% pure silver, that I'd been tempted to order from (ooh, la-dee-dah!) but now seeing its only marginally better than copper, that idea is zapped.
    So which is better, higher or lower?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Kayak said:
    Botch said:
    DFW said:

So which is better, higher or lower?
    higher, generally, but not always.  Cooking surfaces and pot/pan bottoms are actually a very nuanced problem. This is a rabbit hole that will consume you. 

Bottom line is, nothing is perfect and you will have to move the pot or stir if you want to be a top notch chef regardless of the pot, and often more importantly and mostly forgotten, the heat source.

Options
    Kayak said:
    I tried that on a Lodge with 80 grit, and pretty much got gummy paper and a little smoothing. Lots of effort for little payoff.

for use on metal, use a clothe backing, not paper, start with 24 grit, finish with 180 grit stepping up the grits. its quick
    fukahwee maine

• ALLCAPS
    ALLCAPS Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey all, somewhat new here.  Not really, actually.  I've been returning shizzznit to Costco most of my adult life, while returning things.  I hope you're all having a fair day.  Yeah.
  • ALLCAPS
    Options
    Also, I hate everyone and myself.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    ALLCAPS said:
    WELCOME ENJOY YOUR STAY , WE HATE YOU AS WELL 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    ALLCAPS said:
    What’s your feelings towards rectum?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    In process of building new home. Will be changing cooktop to induction…. Any suggestions for induction cookware?
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    bracelet for my speedy - came with brown leather strap (black white photo). . 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I kind of feel like the benefits of antique polished cast iron are exaggerated a bit.  Personally, I can't tell a difference in non-stick performance from my bumpy Lodge and my mirror-smooth carbon steel skillets.  
    I think its all about the seasoning not how smooth it is. My carbon steel isnt super smooth but its really seasoned. Water rolls off it like a freshly waxed car.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Lit said:
    SonVolt said:
    I think its all about the seasoning not how smooth it is. My carbon steel isnt super smooth but its really seasoned. Water rolls off it like a freshly waxed car.
    Love that Farmhouse skillet. Almost as nice as my Finex. 😉😉
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    Eoin said:
    In process of building new home. Will be changing cooktop to induction…. Any suggestions for induction cookware?
    Gas gas gas gas.
    I'm not sure about North Carolina, but some US states won't allow gas ranges in new builds, anymore.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    ALLCAPS said:
    Hey all, somewhat new here.  Not really, actually.  I've been returning shizzznit to Costco most of my adult life, while returning things.  I hope you're all having a fair day.  Yeah.
    Pro tip they WILL take back Christmas trees that stopped working during Obama's 1st term in office.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Lit said:
    SonVolt said:
    What kind of wax?  Oh wait, that wasn’t you.
  • ALLCAPS
    Options
    SGH said:
    ALLCAPS said:
    What’s your feelings towards rectum?
    D@mn near killed ‘em
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Last Friday night....

Tonight....

In the words of social commentator and popular music exponent 'Chamillionaire' -  " you see me rollin' "   I'm 'ridin' my new lawn mower.  
    Tally ho lads!  190cc that's a whole 11.6 ci.  
    And in the voice of Clarkson : Feel the power!   

Waiting earnestly to see pictures of it once you install the police lights....

...standing by....
    Options
    Legume said:
    Lit said:
    SonVolt said:
    What kind of wax?  Oh wait, that wasn’t you.
    Whats the story?