Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Lit said:
    Was at the pool with the bug a salt 1.0 and 2.0 the other day and the 1.0 was just stunning them. Ordered a new 3.0 but has anyone tried the new CO2 salt cartridge hand gun they have out now? It was sold out but gonna order it as soon as its in stock.

Saw a Youtube vid a few days ago of a fellow who gave a pretty in depth review of the Shred-ER.
    For me (not that I would buy one anyway) the deal breaker is the "ammo" cartridges aren't meant to be user reloaded. So you end up with the inkjet printer problem - the printer is free but they screw you on the ink refills.
    His vid shows how it is possible to reload them but it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Here's the review vid:

He has a follow up on reloading the cartridges.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Lit said:
    Was at the pool with the bug a salt 1.0 and 2.0 the other day and the 1.0 was just stunning them. Ordered a new 3.0 but has anyone tried the new CO2 salt cartridge hand gun they have out now? It was sold out but gonna order it as soon as its in stock.

Saw a Youtube vid a few days ago of a fellow who gave a pretty in depth review of the Shred-ER.
    For me (not that I would buy one anyway) the deal breaker is the "ammo" cartridges aren't meant to be user reloaded. So you end up with the inkjet printer problem - the printer is free but they screw you on the ink refills.
    His vid shows how it is possible to reload them but it doesn't seem worth the trouble.

Here's the review vid:

He has a follow up on reloading the cartridges.

The 3.0 is pretty cool. Easily 50% more power than the 2.0. Splattered several out front earlier and it kills from a foot or so now versus having to get like 6” away. Still want the other one for bigger bugs.
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    What about dealing with bugs indoors? Splattering them outside is fine and all, but does anyone know of a good bug vacuum for inside?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Pro tip: Any vacuum (except maybe a "mouth vacuum") will work on bugs.  Just cover up the inlet with some plastic wrap or something if they are getting free 
    @nolaegghead: Was asking about a designated tool i) because it is probably configured to reach ceilings, and ii) because I’d rather have a single vacuum dedicated to the accumulation of bug guts. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    @nolaegghead: Was asking about a designated tool i) because it is probably configured to reach ceilings, and ii) because I’d rather have a single vacuum dedicated to the accumulation of bug guts. 
    I know I've seen a "spider vacuum" for sale, I'm sure Amazoid would have them.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The little zapper rackets.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    spiders keep the bug population down =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Options
    2 phone calls, 50 minutes, he offered to split it with me, I clarified that we don't smoke, and he removed the charge and gave me a case#.  Time will tell.

If your thinking about renting from Budget, for $800 you get a nissan sentra that does stink of cigarettes enough to roll down the windows, that makes half the trip before the tranny and brakes go, the radio and tilt steering wheel are broken, try to call roadside and they tell you they can tow it to a mechanic and we can hang out while they rebuild the tranny, find another budget at a regional airport and beg for a vehicle that runs and is safe, she gave us a usable camry. (the lady behind me in line said hers made it 2 miles before quitting).  If you can get past all that you will get a bogus bill in the mail you can dispute after waiting on perpetual hold.

Off my soap box.
    remember when it was innocent enough to say " I blew a Tranny the other day " 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Yes, but they also send wifey into a tizzy. 😊
  • FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 840
    Options
    My wife when finding a spider in our house.....

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Yes, but they also send wifey into a tizzy. 😊

she would freak living on a lake. there was a hatch on the lake one morning that filled the ceilings i just installed and painted, my best guess was a million bugs on the ceiling. used the vac for a while before giving up, the black nozzles mark the ceiling, dont get black nozzles. the bugs life cycle were short, they died that night and fell to the floor. as for the spiders....the mice eat the spiders
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    2 phone calls, 50 minutes, he offered to split it with me, I clarified that we don't smoke, and he removed the charge and gave me a case#.  Time will tell.

If your thinking about renting from Budget, for $800 you get a nissan sentra that does stink of cigarettes enough to roll down the windows, that makes half the trip before the tranny and brakes go, the radio and tilt steering wheel are broken, try to call roadside and they tell you they can tow it to a mechanic and we can hang out while they rebuild the tranny, find another budget at a regional airport and beg for a vehicle that runs and is safe, she gave us a usable camry. (the lady behind me in line said hers made it 2 miles before quitting).  If you can get past all that you will get a bogus bill in the mail you can dispute after waiting on perpetual hold.

Off my soap box.

I think the contemporary question to those that "blew a tranny" is - did you enjoy it?
    Options
    Another drone...This place SMH
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Off my soap box.

I think the contemporary question to those that "blew a tranny" is - did you enjoy it?
    I asked linda the other day "did you ever blow bubbles when you were a kid" she said " of course I did" I said " well, I saw him the other day and he said to say Hi!"  
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    lkapigian said:

Off my soap box.

I asked linda the other day "did you ever blow bubbles when you were a kid" she said " of course I did" I said " well, I saw him the other day and he said to say Hi!"  
    Michael Jackson's monkey talks!?

Options
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    Options

^^^^^^Bubbles^^^^LoL
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,533
    Options
    Impulse buying this big daddy JJ George

canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    22" drawing monitor.  This is my ticket to better troll memes as well as graphical arts and cnc manufacturing design.  (And maybe quitting my day job)
    Options
    40 watt cnc cutting and engraving laser.  18" x 30" working area.  Will cut 1/4" plywood in a single pass.  Also great at starting unwanted fires in the shop.
    22" drawing monitor.  This is my ticket to better troll memes as well as graphical arts and cnc manufacturing design.  (And maybe quitting my day job)
    Would love to see some of your art. Please keep us posted (and tag me if you post!). 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    My buddy maintains a subscription to the entire Adobe suite...he has to for professional reasons although he doesn't use it often.  Anyway, did a a little research on licensing and I can install it on my 'puter (up to 3 with 2 consecutive logins).  Only thing we need to work out is when he needs it, only one active user at once.  I'm interested in Illustrator (for the vector graphics) and photoshop.  It's an expensive subscription. Quid pro quo is he uses my boat whenever he wants.
    Botch said:
    Today I got some "merch".  

Most of my cast-iron cookware is enameled.  I have used a piece or two in the Egg, and I was able to clean the smoke stain off the enamel, but it took about 20 minutes of scrubbing, and I decided I needed some totally-bare CI to use on the Egg, let it stain to its heart's content.  And sorta forgot about it.  

Couple weeks ago, Sam the Cooking Guy announced his 12" CI frypan, with steep walls; yes!  It was a bit pricey for CI ($79), but a) he makes me laugh daily, and gain weight weekly, and b) it came with a tight-fitting glass lid, which is unusual for CI.  The lid has a rubber/soft-plastic knob with his logo embossed; I wouldn't put the cover in the oven or Egg but it's perfect for frying.  And still 1/3 the price of my 12" Le Creuset, of 30 years ago.  

It came "lightly seasoned", I'm going to take an orbital sander to the bottom/sides and get it smoother, and then reseason it.  

A couple other guys flew into space this month, but I have a "1st Edition" frypan, So There!  :triumph:  
    Very cool. Bet some here would benefit from a sanding tutorial (or at least light documentation) if ever you were willing and able to oblige. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Botch said:

Most of my cast-iron cookware is enameled.  I have used a piece or two in the Egg, and I was able to clean the smoke stain off the enamel, but it took about 20 minutes of scrubbing, and I decided I needed some totally-bare CI to use on the Egg, let it stain to its heart's content.  And sorta forgot about it.  

Couple weeks ago, Sam the Cooking Guy announced his 12" CI frypan, with steep walls; yes!  It was a bit pricey for CI ($79), but a) he makes me laugh daily, and gain weight weekly, and b) it came with a tight-fitting glass lid, which is unusual for CI.  The lid has a rubber/soft-plastic knob with his logo embossed; I wouldn't put the cover in the oven or Egg but it's perfect for frying.  And still 1/3 the price of my 12" Le Creuset, of 30 years ago.  

It came "lightly seasoned", I'm going to take an orbital sander to the bottom/sides and get it smoother, and then reseason it.  

A couple other guys flew into space this month, but I have a "1st Edition" frypan, So There!  :triumph:  

Looks great.  I'm skeptical an orbital sander will do much without burning you (and the sander and running through a lot of sandpaper) out.   But I've been wrong before!
    Options
    https://www.bigleaguelawns.com/

Bought this for the new mower I got earlier this spring. Came in today and installed it.  Not overly impressed for the price, might need to cut it a bit longer to help it lay over more. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Botch said:

Very cool. Bet some here would benefit from a sanding tutorial (or at least light documentation) if ever you were willing and able to oblige. 
    It doesn't take much sanding to get it smooth enough. I bought a lodge griddle some time back. Took less than 10 mins of sanding. No need to make it smooth like glass. 

Seasoned it a bit, and was able to fry eggs without them sticking. The seasoning built up over time, as it gets used regularly. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.