Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    I saw this week that Traeger bought the thermometer brand Meater. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,649
    Options
    Damnit boy they included a crawfish paddle?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options

Options
    I like it!  👍
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Summary of the caveman broiler:  really well made, very thick SS parts, battery driven igniter, gets hot AF.  Not as big as sonvolt's Amazon purchase, but it's fine for me.  I can only do one steak at a time, but it only takes a few minutes so not a big deal to do more than one batch, the rest will buffer out until serving time.
    edited July 2021
    Options
    Summary of the caveman broiler:  really well made, very thick SS parts, battery driven igniter, gets hot AF.  Not as big as sonvolt's Amazon purchase, but it's fine for me.  I can only do one steak at a time, but it only takes a few minutes so not a big deal to do more than one batch, the rest will buffer out until serving time.

The ignition knob on yours is exactly the same as mine. I'm betting these are all coming out of the same warehouse in China.  

So, you think these will take a 16oz Coleman tank if you slap an adapter on it? 

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Adapter-Converter-Universal-Disposable/dp/B074CMTHSZ/ref=asc_df_B074CMTHSZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061703654&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=974784083554817814&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1012990&hvtargid=pla-348470498346&psc=1
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:

The ignition knob on yours is exactly the same as mine. I'm betting these are all coming out of the same warehouse in China.  

So, you think these will take a 16oz Coleman tank if you slap an adapter on it? 

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Adapter-Converter-Universal-Disposable/dp/B074CMTHSZ/ref=asc_df_B074CMTHSZ/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198061703654&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=974784083554817814&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1012990&hvtargid=pla-348470498346&psc=1
    Absolutely.  I don't think the gas flow rate on these is very high, at least the gas "hissing" sound didn't sound anything like my fryer, or banjo.

Only problem with the 1 pound/small tanks is they don't have as much mass so they can cool faster than a big tank and thus it's possible to have lower bottle pressures.  Nothing that can't be solved by putting the tank in some warm water.
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I could just set the tank on the bottom shelf of the broiler. /s
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    I could just set the tank on the bottom shelf of the broiler. 
    Right, what could possibly go wrong?

Options
    lkapigian said:
    I used one of these at an event a few weeks ago, was so impressed I bought one, not a Honda but for the price point and first hand experience with it. 

Interested, give us a update in a year or so. I like a cheap generator but it has to start every time.
    I've had that generator for 2 years.  First one I returned right before my year warranty was up.  The electric start never worked.  The only issue I had with the first one was the exhaust filter that covered the exhaust pipe. It clogged. It doesn't clean very easily and I could not find readily available replacements.   I just removed it.  The generator ran a bit louder.   I used the generator heavily for 2 weeks straight.  8am -8pm while dry camping in the Everglades.  Now it gets used about weekly for various tasks.  I would buy again.  I only put rec gas thru it.  It's readily available in my area. 
    @alaskanassasin
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    @kl8ton , good to hear. I will probably remove that spark arrestor as well, were I will be using it , not needed 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 583
    Options
    I have a 2000 watt Predator I use for ice fishing. No issues at all in the past 2 seasons. It runs constantly from friday-sunday most weekends from January through March in 0-30 degree temps.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. Good buy.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @kl8ton thanks for the honest review. I am mostly pneumatic in the field but for some reason I still have a hankering for a small genset. That said I am a Honda purest. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    @kl8ton thanks for the honest review. I am mostly pneumatic in the field but for some reason I still have a hankering for a small genset. That said I am a Honda purest. 
    I think my favorite part about it is that its my first generator that runs at an RPM consistent with the load.  If you are charging batteries, running a radio, maybe a fridge, purrs quietly.  Fire up the blender/coffee maker/AC unit, it will run wide open and then throttle back down.  Previous generators I had would run wide open and when a heavy load hit it, it would "choke" a minute and continue on with a labored sound.  This thing runs really quiet when demand is low.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    poster said:
    lol
    Saw it at crappy tire the other day too, lol indeed
    canuckland
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,172
    Options
    Good eye with the store ID. The kid went camping at a near by park for the weekend. A local fire ban simultaneously started just as she was checking in. I had to come up with an alternate cooking method for her. Ended up buying a table top gas grill and while i was looking came across this. Had to search the city far and wide to find 1lb propane bottles. Couldn't find an adapter for 1lb-20lb either. Turned into a few hour ordeal that ended at Wal-Mart of all places. Seems theres a shortage of just about everything 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    poster said:
    Good eye with the store ID. The kid went camping at a near by park for the weekend. A local fire ban simultaneously started just as she was checking in. I had to come up with an alternate cooking method for her. Ended up buying a table top gas grill and while i was looking came across this. Had to search the city far and wide to find 1lb propane bottles. Couldn't find an adapter for 1lb-20lb either. Turned into a few hour ordeal that ended at Wal-Mart of all places. Seems theres a shortage of just about everything 
    Must be an exodus of campers everywhere!  Actually I see propane bottles at Walmart often. Other than big box stores, Home Hardware is also a good bet, I’m sure you hit them all. 
    canuckland
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Loads of concert tickets lately. Clapton at Bridgestone in September and just got tickets for 2 nights of Jason Isbell's 8 night run at the Ryman in October
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Budget claims we smoked in their car and will bill my cc $450 for cleaning. Ive been on hold for 30min and hung up on because they could not find my reservation, back on the line.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Budget claims we smoked in their car and will bill my cc $450 for cleaning. Ive been on hold for 30min and hung up on because they could not find my reservation, back on the line.
    Those rental car agencies are run by the mob.

edited July 2021
    Options
    2 phone calls, 50 minutes, he offered to split it with me, I clarified that we don't smoke, and he removed the charge and gave me a case#.  Time will tell.

If your thinking about renting from Budget, for $800 you get a nissan sentra that does stink of cigarettes enough to roll down the windows, that makes half the trip before the tranny and brakes go, the radio and tilt steering wheel are broken, try to call roadside and they tell you they can tow it to a mechanic and we can hang out while they rebuild the tranny, find another budget at a regional airport and beg for a vehicle that runs and is safe, she gave us a usable camry. (the lady behind me in line said hers made it 2 miles before quitting).  If you can get past all that you will get a bogus bill in the mail you can dispute after waiting on perpetual hold.

Off my soap box.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    dropping the rental off once, the car in front of me had a big cup filled to the brim, no cover, windows rolled up in the sun. yeah, that was mountain dew
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    2 phone calls, 50 minutes, he offered to split it with me, I clarified that we don't smoke, and he removed the charge and gave me a case#.  Time will tell.

If your thinking about renting from Budget, for $800 you get a nissan sentra that does stink of cigarettes enough to roll down the windows, that makes half the trip before the tranny and brakes go, the radio and tilt steering wheel are broken, try to call roadside and they tell you they can tow it to a mechanic and we can hang out while they rebuild the tranny, find another budget at a regional airport and beg for a vehicle that runs and is safe, she gave us a usable camry. (the lady behind me in line said hers made it 2 miles before quitting).  If you can get past all that you will get a bogus bill in the mail you can dispute after waiting on perpetual hold.

Off my soap box.
    Had a hotel in Nashville claim we had a dog that pee’d on the floor. It was a business trip and my OCD better half left the room at least I the condition that we met at arrival. 🤣
    I assume they had the wrong room, but who are the people that pee on the floor?  

It was easily resolved but a bit disconcerting 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2021
    Options
    5 Eggs (in 3 different cities) and now this? Does this make me bi?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Was at the pool with the bug a salt 1.0 and 2.0 the other day and the 1.0 was just stunning them. Ordered a new 3.0 but has anyone tried the new CO2 salt cartridge hand gun they have out now? It was sold out but gonna order it as soon as its in stock.