Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Buying Right Now? (non-OT version)

Options

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I used one of these at an event a few weeks ago, was so impressed I bought one, not a Honda but for the price point and first hand experience with it. 

Interested, give us a update in a year or so. I like a cheap generator but it has to start every time.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I used one of these at an event a few weeks ago, was so impressed I bought one, not a Honda but for the price point and first hand experience with it. 

Interested, give us a update in a year or so. I like a cheap generator but it has to start every time.
    @alaskanassasin LOL for  sure, I would be less than pleased if it did not start, but I am pretty confident I will get my use out of it.....mind you it will never likely see use for emergency , this is strictly for events ,  pop ups and such...I can get two of these for the price of a Honda, the one I used before the owner had for 5 years ( 2 of them ) he powers up his wedding venue with it, said he's never had an issue 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you just don't let fuel sit in it forever and stop it by running out the fuel in the carb, they should hold up pretty well.  Honda has just figured out how to make carburetors that don't gunk up....dunno how they did it.
    Options
    If you just don't let fuel sit in it forever and stop it by running out the fuel in the carb, they should hold up pretty well.  Honda has just figured out how to make carburetors that don't gunk up....dunno how they did it.
    yes sir, I will be using a stabilizer  and keep a trickle charge on the battery, though I am sure that battery has a short shelf life 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    yes sir, I will be using a stabilizer  and keep a trickle charge on the battery, though I am sure that battery has a short shelf life 

i have not had good luck with stabilizer and e10 gas with these small carbs, trick is to shut the gas off while its running as mentioned and use it often which is already in the plans
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You can't get alcohol free gas?  (I'm sure this is true on one level or another)
    Options
    You can't get alcohol free gas?  (I'm sure this is true on one level or another)
    According to pure-gas.org there are a whopping 23 gas stations in all of Ca that are ethanol free ...not sure you can shut the gas off to the carb and let it run out on this one , this gas switch on this is the On/Off switch as well ...my intent is to run this a little every week , sits right in my cooking area so easy just to start and let it run a bit----time will tell 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited July 2021
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    According to pure-gas.org there are a whopping 23 gas stations in all of Ca that are ethanol free ...not sure you can shut the gas off to the carb and let it run out on this one , this gas switch on this is the On/Off switch as well ...my intent is to run this a little every week , sits right in my cooking area so easy just to start and let it run a bit----time will tell 
    Just make sure your gas station hasn't switched over or using e15. I've read about gas stations switching over without much notice. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    edited July 2021
    Options
    heres the ethanol free near me. notice the date and gallon price

Cason's Equipment - VP RACING
    133 Congress St, Lowell MA
    978-459-6852
    Ethanol-free octane ratings: 94
    GPS coordinates: N 42.63141 W 71.31026 (entered by Alex)
    Updated by Steve, September 28, 2018 8:42 CDT
    Only sell it in 1 gallon cans, $24.95/gal

fukahwee maine

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    Just make sure your gas station hasn't switched over or using e15. I've read about gas stations switching over without much notice. 
    They change the gas formulation in Ca every summer and winter..RVP? I think whatever that is
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options

978-459-6852

They might give you a discount if you use your own plastic bags...
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    Options
    WeberWho said:

978-459-6852

They might give you a discount if you use your own plastic bags...

but you can get more in a laundry basket
    fukahwee maine

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I installed whole building diesel generators for a half dozen government buildings in 2002. We set them up to automatically start and power the builds for an hour each week. They are still operating today.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    WeberWho said:
    lkapigian said:
    They change the gas formulation in Ca every summer and winter..RVP? I think whatever that is
    They change the formulation everywhere in the country.  It's not unique to CA.

Options
    yeah, RVP is the relative vapor pressure (I think).  The will make the gas more volatile for the winter when it's colder so your engine won't run rough on startup.  They typically add butane to it but I think a couple other additives change a bit.  There's a little less energy in winter gas because the butane has a lower BTU/gallon aka energy.
    Options
    that winter gas used to destroy gas mileage in the dodge and turn it into a slug. 17 mpg down to 12/13 mpg. makes the rover look like a green conservation machine
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    that winter gas used to destroy gas mileage in the dodge and turn it into a slug. 17 mpg down to 12/13 mpg. makes the rover look like a green conservation machine
    That drop doesn't make sense from an energy standpoint.  Should just be a couple percent.  Maybe your engine is sensing a knock and retarding the timing and you're running rich.

Options
    Also there's more load (air friction) from cold, dense air.  But you should also be pulling in more air.
    Options
    Winter gas causes my Hyundai hybrid to drop from 55-60 mpg to 45-50 mpg.  Did the same in my previous Toyota.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Never heard of winter gas. Diesel yes but not gas weird 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    Options
    That drop doesn't make sense from an energy standpoint.  Should just be a couple percent.  Maybe your engine is sensing a knock and retarding the timing and you're running rich.

not much for sensors on that truck, the high tech on it was fuel injection thru a throttle body with the air intake thru a false carb. 125 hp on a heavey 4x4 with a convertible top didnt help. no way to pass a 1940's bread truck. the rover does 22 on the highway regardless of the season
    fukahwee maine

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Also there's more load (air friction) from cold, dense air.  But you should also be pulling in more air.
    You really notice this driving an EV because the range is limited. Air temperature, wet roads, head wind etc.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options

978-459-6852

For generator use you might consider buying avgas or mogas at your local general aviation airport. Both are always ethanol free.
    Avgas is 100LL so you might need to change the spark plug in a generator now and then. Mogas is unleaded but is probably harder to find if none of your regional gas stations carry ethanol free gas.

Plug your zipcode into this and it will tell you who has avgas/mogas and pricing:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    Deductible and out of pocket on my health insurance prior to my wife’s deviated septum repair and complete sinus clean out scheduled for the end of next week. Yay. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Deductible and out of pocket on my health insurance prior to my wife’s deviated septum repair and complete sinus clean out scheduled for the end of next week. Yay. 
    Tell her that you got an alternate bid from Rotorooter.  
    Tell me how that works because I should probably have that surgery 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SWMBO got that surgery after my kid broke her nose (he was maybe 8).  Didn't work.  It's hit or miss.
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    My wife had it done like 4years ago.  She snored horrible, not so much now but it is a hollow almost windy sounds.  She had some nodules (? I think) removed on the sinus cavity.  Also, she had chronic sinus infections and this was the doctors solution the snoring was the big bonus. 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,423
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    ColbyLang said:
    My wife had it done like 4years ago.  She snored horrible, not so much now but it is a hollow almost windy sounds.  She had some nodules (? I think) removed on the sinus cavity.  Also, she had chronic sinus infections and this was the doctors solution the snoring was the big bonus. 
    She has completely blocked sinuses on her entire left side. Literally no where for it to go. Been fighting chronic sinus infections for over a year. My buddy is the ENT, it’s his recommendation to do it. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I used to have ongoing sinus issues with frequent infections. I have an inhaler, beclametasone dipropionate, reduces the swelling that blocks the sinus opening. Not had a sinus infection since I started using it.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Picked up an all stainless table from Katom.com.  Make sure you check the specs on tables, especially on Amazon, as the fine print often only lists stainless on the top.  Often the undershelf and legs are just coated regular steel, sometimes galv sometimes not. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave