Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Bringer of Storms?!  More like Bringer of kind compliments and sage advice.  Sheesh.  There goes that "tough guy" veneer.
    Court appearance. Luckily it is a video appearance. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    bubbajack said:

Jealous my friend. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • nolaegghead
    @SGH - what are you going to do with all that fish?  Sand trout are terrible thawed out.
    @SGH - what are you going to do with all that fish?  Sand trout are terrible thawed out.
    Not if you bleed them out when caught. I wasn’t a believer until a guy from your end (Irish Bayou) did it. Hardly a difference between it and specks
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2021
    Brother Nola that is one of those long standing fables that is simply not true. We have froze sand trout my entire life. The gentleman in the picture has been freezing them for over 70 years. 
    The only thing that causes any issue is if you force thaw them. Then they will definitely become mushy. If you take a gallon bag (or whatever size bag) of frozen sand trout and simply thaw them in the refrigerator you can not tell them from ones you pulled right out of the water and clean and fried without freezing. 
    One other thing worthy of mention. As you are filleting them you should immediately throw the fillets in an ice water slurry. They should not be allowed to get warm for any length of time. I think this is where most people mess up. They clean a big pile and wait until they are finished to throw them in icee water. As you cut off a fillet, throw it right in ice water immediately. You will not have any trouble with freezing them if you do this.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    SGH said:
    Brother Nola that is one of those long standing fables that is simply not true. We have froze sand trout my entire life. The gentleman in the picture has been freezing them for over 70 years. 
    The only thing that causes any issue is if you force thaw them. Then they will definitely become mushy. If you take a gallon bag (or whatever size bag) of frozen sand trout and simply thaw them in the refrigerator you can not tell them from ones you pulled right out of the water and clean and fried without freezing. 
    One other thing worthy of mention. As you are filleting them you should immediately throw the fillets in an ice water slurry. They should not be allowed to get warm for any length of time. I think this is where most people mess up. They clean a big pile and wait until they are finished to throw them in icee water. As you cut off a fillet, throw it right in ice water immediately. You will not have any trouble with freezing them if you do this.  
    I knew not to let them get warm, learned something from you about the thawing.  To be honest, we usually just throw them back or eat them first, I've never tried freezing the white trout (what we call them around here).  But I heard they get inedibly mushy thawed, and I also read that on at least one Wildlife and Fisheries page. 

Funny because I read some studies about the best way to freeze seafood is to flash freeze, and it was the freezing that screwed up (popped the walls at the cellular level and released enzymes) vs the thaw.  Probably both are true.

The flash freeze that I know of is basically a super saturated salt bath.

Grinder Plate and Blade Maintenance. 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    @SGH - what are you going to do with all that fish? 
    At bare minimum, we can be fairly certain that sand trout anus poboys are on the menu 👍 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Waffling about replacing my 11-year-old laptop (13" Macbook Air).  Wanted to go with a 16" Pro, but they keep pushing back the release date (I don't need the power, but, let's just say, I have a bigger "lap" that the 13" never rested on very well).  

Big price difference ($950 vs (estimated) >$2,400) plus I could replace my newest, but still 9-year-old 27" iMac with just a big monitor (its already giving me the spinning beach ball while watching EweTube) and the macbook Pro.  

I mostly don't mind the old laptop (can't upgrade it beyond OS 10.10), but I can't access my bank, Wikipedia, many embedded links, and two news sources cause it to overheat, badly, kick the fans on full-speed, and burn my legs (especially in retirement, where I don't wear pants).  

I don't care whether the new Pro has an M1, M1X, or M2 chip, or the new Micro-LED or whatever screen, I just want it here, now, and wide enough to fit my lap.  A cheep 16" Macbook Air would be the Ideal solution, but the Cupertino boys won't listen to me.  

Gah.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited July 2021
    SGH said:
    @SGH - what are you going to do with all that fish? 
    At bare minimum, we can be fairly certain that sand trout anus poboys are on the menu 👍 
    I was at the bar the other day when a young lady came and sat next to me , she said " I taste just like a rainbow" I soon found out she meant trout , not skittles 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,320
    @lkapigian - any sailor can relate!  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Reviewing my only Ring notification for the day....

Hmmmmm....good luck fellah, getting where you're going.

https://ring.com/share/fa7962b7-5e0c-40f5-8675-cd7c135e3732
    lkapigian said:
    I was at the bar the other day when a young lady came and sat next to me , she said " I taste just like a rainbow" I soon found out she meant trout , not skittles 
    You should of told her that while she might in fact taste like rainbow that she smells more like anus. I would of been quick to point that right out to her. 

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    Waffling about replacing my 11-year-old laptop (13" Macbook Air).  Wanted to go with a 16" Pro, but they keep pushing back the release date (I don't need the power, but, let's just say, I have a bigger "lap" that the 13" never rested on very well).  

Big price difference ($950 vs (estimated) >$2,400) plus I could replace my newest, but still 9-year-old 27" iMac with just a big monitor (its already giving me the spinning beach ball while watching EweTube) and the macbook Pro.  

I mostly don't mind the old laptop (can't upgrade it beyond OS 10.10), but I can't access my bank, Wikipedia, many embedded links, and two news sources cause it to overheat, badly, kick the fans on full-speed, and burn my legs (especially in retirement, where I don't wear pants).  

I don't care whether the new Pro has an M1, M1X, or M2 chip, or the new Micro-LED or whatever screen, I just want it here, now, and wide enough to fit my lap.  A cheep 16" Macbook Air would be the Ideal solution, but the Cupertino boys won't listen to me.  

Gah.  

Trust me on this: don't buy the intel processor.  Wait on the MBP purchase.  You should go out right now and buy a mini to replace your desktop.  It's a steal at $599.  I would get it with a little more RAM tho.
    nolaegghead said:
    Trust me on this: don't buy the intel processor.  Wait on the MBP purchase.  You should go out right now and buy a mini to replace your desktop.  It's a steal at $599.  I would get it with a little more RAM tho. 
    Agreed; I want to go 100% "M" chips from now on.  Since my desktop is still working, I'd prefer to wait until a Mini with the upgraded (M1+ or M2) comes out.    Remains to be seen if I end up getting two computers (laptop in the LR for surfing, dedicated desktop for photography work) or shuttle between the two (laziness/cost are the issues).    

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Having an argument at work. What would you guys say the biggest/greatest rock band of the '70s was? 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    SonVolt said:
    Having an argument at work. What would you guys say the biggest/greatest rock band of the '70s was? 
    Pretty subjective, but I would argue Skynard, The Eagles and Kiss. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    in the boston area i would say aerosmith
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    The E-Street Band, Aerosmith, Bob Seger, Heartbreakers, Zeppelin...  Good luck!   B)  

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,736
    my first car back then  had an aerosmith, a zeppelin, and a j geils sticker on it. must be one of those
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SGH
    SonVolt said:
    Ki⚡️⚡️and Skynard were my two favorites. Liked the Eagles and Pink Floyd too. 

Status- Standing by.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,354
    SGH said:
    SonVolt said:
    Ki⚡️⚡️and Skynard were my two favorites. Liked the Eagles and Pink Floyd too. 
    Yes, Pink Floyd is amazing. Forgot about them, thinking they were more 60’s but thinking about it, their biggest albums were in the 70’s. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,373
    Dark side of the moon. nough said

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I was born in '78, the year Queen's Fat Bottom Girls came out, but that's neither here nor there. I just wanted to say Fat Bottom Girls.  I assumed it was Led Zeppelin but some coworkers didn't agree. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave