Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Comments

• SGH said:
    SonVolt said:
    Having an argument at work. What would you guys say the biggest/greatest rock band of the '70s was? 
    Pretty subjective, but I would argue Skynard, The Eagles and Kiss. 
    Ki⚡️⚡️and Skynard were my two favorites. Liked the Eagles and Pink Floyd too. 
    I always took you for more of a Butthole Surfers fan. 
  • SonVolt said:
    I was born in '78, the year Queen's Fat Bottom Girls came out, but that's neither here nor there. I just wanted to say Fat Bottom Girls.  I assumed it was Led Zeppelin but some coworkers didn't agree. 
    Great song with an important message. A mantra of sorts. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I always took you for more of a Butthole Surfers fan. 
    I certainly respected the name. Just didn’t care for their style of music. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited July 2021
    SonVolt said:
    Having an argument at work. What would you guys say the biggest/greatest rock band of the '70s was? 
    Talking about a combination of biggest and best, I'd say Zeppelin by a wide bit.  I think in terms of gross sales, only the Eagles are on the same level, and Zeppelin isn't nearly as derivative of their inspirations.  Pink Floyd had Dark Side, but The Wall was released at the end of November in 1979, so that was big in the 80s (and the movie came out in 82).  Springsteen wasn't really an icon until his early-80s run.  

Of the other really biggest selling rock acts of the 70s either don't have the depth of their work...Fleetwood Mac had Rumours and...; Meatloaf didn't have anything else (and millions of copies of Bat Out of Hell have aged poorly); the BeeGees? 

Others that I'd assume wouldn't be in the discussion because they aren't 'rock', but you'd have to consider Stevie Wonder (although Talking Book > Innervisions > Fulfillingness' First Finale > Songs In the Key of Life over 4 years is amazing) or Marvin Gaye (What's Goin' On > Let's Get It On back to back is pretty spectacular).

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Acn
    SonVolt said:
    I was born in '78, the year Queen's Fat Bottom Girls came out, but that's neither here nor there. I just wanted to say Fat Bottom Girls.  I assumed it was Led Zeppelin but some coworkers didn't agree. 

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,777
    Acn said:
    SonVolt said:
    Talking about a combination of biggest and best, I'd say Zeppelin by a wide bit.  I think in terms of gross sales, only the Eagles are on the same level, and Zeppelin isn't nearly as derivative of their inspirations.  Pink Floyd had Dark Side, but The Wall was released at the end of November in 1979, so that was big in the 80s (and the movie came out in 82).  Springsteen wasn't really an icon until his early-80s run.  wrote and performed the best rock and roll of anyone in the 70's.  However, he didn't really discover his pop sound until the early 80s and that is when he had his first top 10 hit ("Hungry Heart").

Of the other really biggest selling rock acts of the 70s either don't have the depth of their work...Fleetwood Mac had Rumours and...; Meatloaf didn't have anything else (and millions of copies of Bat Out of Hell have aged poorly); the BeeGees? 

Others that I'd assume wouldn't be in the discussion because they aren't 'rock', but you'd have to consider Stevie Wonder (although Talking Book > Innervisions > Fulfillingness' First Finale > Songs In the Key of Life over 4 years is amazing) or Marvin Gaye (What's Goin' On > Let's Get It On back to back is pretty spectacular).
    FTFY @Acn.

https://calendar.songfacts.com/october/27/9017

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/star-is-born-in-boston-jon-landau-shows-bruce-springsteen-the-future/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    SonVolt said:
    Led Zeppelin
  • Acn
    Foghorn said:
    Acn said:
    SonVolt said:
    Talking about a combination of biggest and best, I'd say Zeppelin by a wide bit.  I think in terms of gross sales, only the Eagles are on the same level, and Zeppelin isn't nearly as derivative of their inspirations.  Pink Floyd had Dark Side, but The Wall was released at the end of November in 1979, so that was big in the 80s (and the movie came out in 82).  Springsteen wasn't really an icon until his early-80s run.  wrote and performed the best rock and roll of anyone in the 70's.  However, he didn't really discover his pop sound until the early 80s and that is when he had his first top 10 hit ("Hungry Heart").

FTFY @Acn.

https://www.newenglandhistoricalsociety.com/star-is-born-in-boston-jon-landau-shows-bruce-springsteen-the-future/

@Foghorn - the question was biggest and best.  Born to Run would definitely be in the conversation for best (although Rolling Stone has 4 70s rock albums and 2 of the Motown ones ranked above it on their latest list), but to be the biggest you need a #1 album.  Zeppelin had 5 albums hit the top and 2 others at #2.  Bruce had one #3 and one #5.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    SonVolt said:
    My last band did this one.  We all had in-ear monitors at the time, and our soundman would mute the band thru the PA for a bit, and I'd play our four vocal parts on the piano (Do-Me-So-Do), in time, (the audience couldn't hear it) and then all four of us would come in, perfect pretty good pitch, 4-part harmony and in time.  Sooo cool!   B)

Scurvy:  when Life doesn't give you lemons

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    SonVolt said:
    My last band did this one.  We all had in-ear monitors at the time, and our soundman would mute the band thru the PA for a bit, and I'd play our four vocal parts on the piano (Do-Me-So-Do), in time, (the audience couldn't hear it) and then all four of us would come in, perfect pretty good pitch, 4-part harmony and in time.  Sooo cool!   B)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drnBMAEA3AM

SonVolt said:
    Heavy metal, actual rock, Motorhead.

Plenty of big selling soft rock bands, but big selling doesn't mean great.

Led Zep, Deep Purple and Thin Lizzy also feature in my list of greats.
  • nolaegghead
    Acn said:
    SonVolt said:

I would settle for kids getting taught any science or critical thinking skills (physics is too much to hope for at this point). 
    I was pretty fond of Kansas for a while but I listened to a lot of different bands. Many of them had one great album and faded away.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,411
    Eoin said:
    Plenty of big selling soft rock bands, but big selling doesn't mean great.
    Ohh, but but but....  Kanye West!  Nickelback!  Poison!  :lol:  

• Acn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Acn said:
    SonVolt said:

FTFY @Acn.

@Foghorn - the question was biggest and best.  Born to Run would definitely be in the conversation for best (although Rolling Stone has 4 70s rock albums and 2 of the Motown ones ranked above it on their latest list), but to be the biggest you need a #1 album.  Zeppelin had 5 albums hit the top and 2 others at #2.  Bruce had one #3 and one #5.

Checkers outsells Chess every year.  That does not make it a better game.
    The first 3 albums from Zeppelin were top rate, those that followed were mostly garbage.  Maybe the biggest, no way they were the best
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    Acn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Acn said:
    SonVolt said:

FTFY @Acn.

The first 3 albums from Zeppelin were top rate, those that followed were mostly garbage.  Maybe the biggest, no way they were the best
    I was going to respond to this nonsense, and then I remembered … you’re a *troll* account.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    Bringer of Storms?!  More like Bringer of kind compliments and sage advice.  Sheesh.  There goes that "tough guy" veneer.
    Playing with our minds. The storm he brings is inner turmoil.  He plays an unorthodox good cop, good cop routine to lure you in.   Next thing you'll be cooking amazing food and sharing positive feelings.  Be warned.  That's not for the likes of you & me.  I'm headed back to flag his post as a warning to others.   
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849

I was going to respond to this nonsense, and then I remembered … you’re a *troll* account.
    You right to ignore this.  There was no music until synthesizers, drum machines and sequencers eradicated the weakest link, i.e people and instruments.    
    All those noisy show-offs thrashing around getting sweaty, yuk - no thanks.  Unless it was hewn from a Fairlight's floppy disc, a 303 or an 808 is it really music?
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • nolaegghead
    Acn said:
    Foghorn said:
    Acn said:
    SonVolt said:

FTFY @Acn.

You may be on to something with Zeppelin, but based on 2 minutes of research, it's pretty clear chess outsells checkers.  Not that that makes people smart, they're still mostly idiots, but maybe the idiots just lack the intellectual hp to play any game in lieu of drooling into a can of Bud Lite in front of a WWF fight.  Who's to say?

SonVolt said:
    Air Supply.

Boom.

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,569
    SonVolt said:

If you remember you weren't there.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• EzraBrooks
    EzraBrooks Posts: 379
    Finally cut the chord on cable.  Switching to youtube tv will save me north of $700 a year, plus no more cable boxes.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,596
    Kayak said:
    SonVolt said:
    Air Supply.

Boom.
    Maybe for those that spent most of the 70s in an elevator, but I believe the topic was ‘rock band’

boom.
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,332
    Watching Ozark, getting ready to go back to work tomorrow. Two weeks off was needed and it has cooled down to chilly 108. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    PigBeanUs said:

Sideways
    Shouldn't that be a pinot noir while you denigrate merlot?
    edited July 2021
    moved elsewhere