Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s on like Donkey Kong!!... Thanksgiving 2020 - show us whatcha got

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
edited November 2020 in EggHead Forum
Just us for T-Day this year (Pops, caliprince, caliqueen, and yours truly), so it’s somewhat toned down. 

Taking care of some prep and other stuff, so that tomorrow isn’t total chaos. 

Smoked a turkey neck on the small, for gravy. 

Spices cranberry sauce (with orange zest, ginger, allspice, and stuff).

Sourdough boule for the stuffing

That’s all for now. Stay tuned :)

I’m thankful for many things this year, but mostly that Pops is with us to share it. 

Peace and love to all. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Doing a bone in pork loin tomorrow. Looking forward to it. Dinner with wife and son only. Cheers to each of you!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Pre-gaming lunch:
    sous-vide whole beef tenderloin. Final sear on the XL. 

Sweet potatoes a la Ruth’s Chris, green bean casserole and rice dressing.

dinner at my parents which will consist of Turkey, ham and all the trimmings

Thankful for my wife and kids, my family and my friends. Thankful for my health and that of my loved ones. Stay safe folks. Enjoy the day. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    caliking said:
    Just us for T-Day this year (Pops, caliprince, caliqueen, and yours truly), so it’s somewhat toned down. 

Taking care of some prep and other stuff, so that tomorrow isn’t total chaos. 

Smoked a turkey neck on the small, for gravy. 

Spices cranberry sauce (with orange zest, ginger, allspice, and stuff).

Sourdough boule for the stuffing

That’s all for now. Stay tuned :)

I’m thankful for many things this year, but mostly that Pops is with us to share it. 

Peace and love to all. 
    That is one hell of a tease!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
    500 Posts: 3,177
    edited November 2020
    Options

LAST SATURDAY:

Stock made ahead of time with legs and wings from WalMart, plus carrots, celery, onions, garlic, thyme, parsley, salt, and pepper. Roasted wings and legs, pulled meat, then made stock for 9 hours.   Yielded 1 pint of turkey fat and more than 2 quarts of gelatinous stock. 

MONDAY:

Cut out backbone and spatchcocked turkey. Dry brined with kosher salt only all over and under the breast skin. Covered. Under covered Wednesday. 

My other tasks will be making pecan pie in a cast iron pan and finishing the turkey gravy on Thursday. Planned go time is 2pm.  

I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sushi takeout tonight as we drink wine, brine birds, make pies, mash potatoes, make dressing, make stock, and hang out. We are doing dinner tomorrow (like 5pm) so it will all come together through the day. Small crew this year (6 total) and we will be outside. 80 degrees tomorrow. I’ll take it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    That is fantastic, @WeberWho! Kudos to you for helping others enjoy the holiday with some great food.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    The wife and I are have Thanksgiving with my BIL. With all the stuff I have to cook with at home - this is what I’m cooking on now. 

A favorite cooker for sure 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @SciAggie as you well know it is the cooker, not the cook.  But have fun dropping into the pedestrian life most of us live and wrestle with.
    However it works out for you and your family, make the best of and enjoy Thanksgiving-
    Stay healthy and safe-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • booksw
    booksw Posts: 470
    Options
    My turkey is brined, injected and now air drying in the fridge.  Brioche is broken up into little pieces and air drying over night too for the brioche fennel chestnut dressing!
    Charleston, SC

L/MiniMax Eggs
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Wife and daughter made the sides today.  I went fishing with one of the sons.  Vietnamese takeout tonight, frying a turkey and making pies tomorrow.  Wii tournament tonight.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Our children are home this week, and I get to meet our daughter’s next boyfriend. (This is the one dad, I really mean it this time.) I got that going for me.

We are doing a couple of SRF Prime Rib Roasts. I am going to smoke them with pecan, and will use some gunpowder rub, which has become my go to.  My Beautiful Wife will be baking all day, while I take care of the egg (and a couple of Calistoga cabs)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Stay safe, stay well, and thank you all for the friendships I have made here.
    That sounds like a memorable day- hoping this is the one for your daughter and a day to remember for the family. The wine sounds like a winner- breaking out some Aubert tomorrow. Time to celebrate the close of a crappy year. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I sv'd some carrots and green beans today got the turkey injected, and am drying out the bread right now.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @lkapigian @lousubcap We re not suffering too much, lol. This Weber works just fine. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,660
    Options
    I’m working so the wife is doing all the cooking. There will be seven of us this year. On the menu is ham, SP casserole, GB casserole, cornbread dressing, homemade cranberry salad (think jello with a bunch of stuff in it), potato salad, Mac-n-cheese, deviled eggs, and yeast rolls. Pecan and SP pies for desert. I’m probably forgetting something but that’s pretty close. I plan to run home on my lunch break and get the ham on the smoker. Hope everyone enjoys their day.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .