Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s on like Donkey Kong!!... Thanksgiving 2020 - show us whatcha got

123457»

Comments

• SonVolt said:
    My mom’s white sweet potato pie:

@JohnInCarolina

That looks amazing. Care to share the recipe with us? I'm a sucker for both sweet potato and pumpkin pies. 
    It's possible I posted the recipe here before.  This is my Nana's recipe that my mother now makes every year.  Let me see what I can dig up.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,972
    Nothing in the smoker, but we sure cooked a LOT for 5 people. 14# fresh turkey from Ferndale was really good. Brussels, cranberries, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, two pies. The sourdough rolls turned out really well - added butter and milk made a really soft roll. Glad you had a good turkey day!

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    @fishlessman i feel your pain.  the universe has a rule.  if i'm busy at work, there will be a plumbing emergency at home.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    Terrific spread, @blind99 !

Care to share deets about the rolls? How much butter did you add? Brioche level? Any changes to the rise times?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    blind99 said:
    @fishlessman i feel your pain.  the universe has a rule.  if i'm busy at work, there will be a plumbing emergency at home.  

last year it was the drain on the clothes dryer that froze up and filled up into the upstairs sink from the first floor, drain goes thru the slab under the house. year before it was the copper line under the tub, thats pex now.  found a drip in the upstairs sink which will freeze the clothes dryer drain this winter as well, moved all the tools there, next week. trolling motor on the boat made the season but while pulling it out this weekend the pull start rope jammed, then i heard the water pump go and start growling, atleast it made the season =) truck gave me a low battery alert on the key fob, made two more starts from camp, one from the house, the second at the battery shop. this is actually good luck for me =) woohoo.. things are changing for the better
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,009
    I make this for my very small Thanksgiving this year:
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/katie-lee/maple-sage-bacon-wrapped-turkey-breast-with-stuffing-croutons-9503026

No rack underneath the breast, buttered bread baguettes instead~

It was perfect for a small group Thanksgiving.
    Oh yeah.  @Florida Grillin Girl, you need to hang around and post more.

(I'm going for a world record in "agree"s by stating the obvious.)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• blind99
    caliking said:
    Terrific spread, @blind99 !

Care to share deets about the rolls? How much butter did you add? Brioche level? Any changes to the rise times?
    @caliking happy to share, esp since i actually wrote down most of the details!  

Levain was made the night before, 100% hydration.  I *think* i added a little bit of whole wheat flour but i can't quite remember.  we'll blame eggnog.

In the morning, I mixed 300g levain with 60g milk, 20g melted butter, and 175g warm water.  then added 405g KA APF, 40g whole wheat flour, and 10g salt.  (I mix flour and salt together first)

this rose next to the warm oven for a few hours, then gently kneaded and cut into equal portions, and shaped into balls and put in a cake tin.  that rose for about an hour, then brushed with melted butter and topped with kosher salt, then baked, 350, probably 45 minutes or so.

this was roughly based on my standard 68% hydration 1 kg loaf - so each little "roll" was about 150g.  it was like getting your own little soft loaf of bread.... tasty!!

• caliking
    Thanks @blind99

I haven't made much enriched sourdough, but have thought about it. Will give this a whirl soon. 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @blind99 Thanks for that recipe. I haven’t made much enriched sourdough either. My last attempt was underwhelming. I want to try your recipe. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    @caliking @sciaggie please, take it and run with it!  looking forward to the results!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    One of the clueless glueless turkey leg roulades from last week, just came out of SV, to be seared tomorrow. 

canuckland
  • caliking
    One of the clueless glueless turkey leg roulades from last week, just came out of SV, to be seared tomorrow. 

Looking forward to this. I've wanted to do a turkey roulade for a while.

• Canugghead
    edited December 2020
    Made a royal mess of splatter searing on CI pan indoor, should have done that in egg. It was juicy and the dry rosemary +thyme flavour really came through.

Edit: SV 4hr @ 151F, air dried in fridge overnight.
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    @Canugghead, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around cooking something most of the way - and then cooling it down and finishing the cook on another day.  I've seen @The Cen-Tex Smoker say that he's done it as well.

My question for both of you is (using the turkey roulade as an example) - if the target temp is around 150 and you fully cook the meat, then cool it down to 35 degrees, when you do the second portion of the cook, what is your target temp?  Sear the outside and just get the inside to 130 or so - so it is warm when you eat it?  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Canugghead
    @Foghorn IMO the advantages are:
    1) for long cooks it can be done before the day off, eta for serving is predictable. I can even vac seal and freeze after SV for future convenience 
    2) air drying removes moisture and makes searing easier
    3) starting cold and precooked allows long dwell in egg to absorb smoke and build crust or final sear, without overcooking the inside

This turkey roulade is not an ideal example since it’s a relatively short sv, however it helped since I knew I would be busy yesterday, the skin also tightened and dried up more, I didn’t check IT as I was rushing to deliver half of it. 

I’m sure CT can explain better.
    canuckland
  • Foghorn
    Yeah.  I'm still not clear on the advantage - other than the air drying - which I get.  But it seems that you are cooking it twice - which is twice the work.

I guess I'm thinking that if I sous vide a chicken breast (for example) and then cool it to 35 degrees overnight - and then I take it out the next day and quickly sear the outside - I now have a seared chicken breast with a center that is 40 or 50 degrees or so.  I'm not sure what to do with that.  Cool it back down and use it over salad?

San Antonio, TX

• caliking
    @blind99 a big tip o’ the hat to ya. 

Tried the softer sourdough, and it’s a keeper. This batch ended up overproofed, because my timeline was all messed up yesterday. 

Served it with potato leek soup for dinner.  As you said, loved that it turns out as a mini loaf for each. 

• Canugghead
    I hear you. Like I said this roulade is not an ideal example. It worked for me because the aim was to get the sear, IT 40-50 would be okay since it was delivered to someone who would reheat it later.  
    canuckland
  • blind99
    @caliking looks great! You got a better brown on top than I could. Maybe more butter on top? 

I love potato leek soup. So danged good. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @caliking Dang man! That bread looks insane - especially for sourdough. 
    More things for me to do now...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking Dang man! That bread looks insane - especially for sourdough. 
    More things for me to do now...
    Pops doesn't eat much of the sourdough I make, because he doesn't enjoy the crust. For whatever reason, it never occurred to me to find the middle ground between all the Japanese-style milk bread/buns and sourdough I've been baking. 

I followed blind99 's recipe to the T.  Soft crust, tender crumb, with that sourdough tang. I highly recommend it.