Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It’s on like Donkey Kong!!... Thanksgiving 2020 - show us whatcha got

Options

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    @gmanrva - Regardless of the banquet, the venue wins.  Great setting.  Enjoy the gathering.
    Happy Thanksgiving!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    YukonRon said:
    Our children are home this week, and I get to meet our daughter’s next boyfriend. (This is the one dad, I really mean it this time.) I got that going for me.

We are doing a couple of SRF Prime Rib Roasts. I am going to smoke them with pecan, and will use some gunpowder rub, which has become my go to.  My Beautiful Wife will be baking all day, while I take care of the egg (and a couple of Calistoga cabs)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Stay safe, stay well, and thank you all for the friendships I have made here.
    That sounds like a memorable day- hoping this is the one for your daughter and a day to remember for the family. The wine sounds like a winner- breaking out some Aubert tomorrow. Time to celebrate the close of a crappy year. 
    I call him #9. 😳 She made me promise not to give him the “I will kill you talk” it frightens most of them away.
    Aubert, is awesome. Stay safe and enjoy this day. We deserve it.
    Our best as always, 
    Ron and Suzy.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    I just saw my BIL lift the lid to “check” the rice. He stirred it even. I’m cooking with heathens...
    You have been well conditioned, you hang out here, and You can’t possibly find any worse than I, on my best day.

Celebrate. You and your beautiful wife deserve it.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    “If the beer’s not cold we can just drink water.”
    My SIL has lost her ever lovin’ stinking mind. 
    WHERE ARE YOU??? Save yourself while you still can...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking A toast to you my friend, and to all those here that I have come to call friends. Happy Thanksgiving. 
    Right back at ya, Gary. 

It’s not my glass that’s tilted... I am. 

• caliking
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Wolfpack said:
    YukonRon said:
    Our children are home this week, and I get to meet our daughter’s next boyfriend. (This is the one dad, I really mean it this time.) I got that going for me.

We are doing a couple of SRF Prime Rib Roasts. I am going to smoke them with pecan, and will use some gunpowder rub, which has become my go to.  My Beautiful Wife will be baking all day, while I take care of the egg (and a couple of Calistoga cabs)

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Stay safe, stay well, and thank you all for the friendships I have made here.
    That sounds like a memorable day- hoping this is the one for your daughter and a day to remember for the family. The wine sounds like a winner- breaking out some Aubert tomorrow. Time to celebrate the close of a crappy year. 
    I call him #9. 😳 She made me promise not to give him the “I will kill you talk” it frightens most of them away.
    Our best as always, 
    Ron and Suzy.
    This would not be the time to whisper in his ear - “I’ve been to prison. And I’m not afraid to go back...”.

Hope you and your family are having a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Some good looking grub on here! 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    edited November 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    YukonRon said:
    Wolfpack said:
    YukonRon said:

Our best as always, 
    Ron and Suzy.
    This would not be the time to whisper in his ear - “I’ve been to prison. And I’m not afraid to go back...”.

Hope you and your family are having a wonderful Thanksgiving. 

I just hand him a 30-30 cartridge. They get the idea. It should be fun today.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • caliking
    Options
    Herb butter stuffed breast roulade wrapped in skin (meat glued) ready for the bath. 
    I started out with this on my radar. Even got some meat glue in time. But caliqueen reminded me that we weren’t cooking for 40 people, and that I had to nix my plans for turkey-8-ways. 

• chucktee
    Options
    chucktee said:
    @chucktee looks great, your grid was 275F?  What was your dome temp?

Thanks!  The dome tracked about 10 degrees higher.  Probably.  I have to admit I don't watch the dome temp as closely after I get the cook started.

Oh wow, that's a great turn out. I think most guys are cooking their turkey at 325F to 350F ... so I was wondering about the lower temperature you used.  How did it turn out?

I guess it was a little misleading and in accurate, now that I'm thinking through my answer to your question, to say an average temperature of 275.

My intended cooking temp was 325.  I should have given the Egg a little more time to stabilize before loading it up.  The temperature stayed at 240-245 for about an hour after I put the bird on the Egg.  It worked its way higher with a little help from me fiddling with the vents.  For at least the last hour of the 3 hours 15 minutes it took to cook, the grid reading was 325 or higher.

It turned out pretty well.  Moist, tender, and tasty.  The family was happy.

Huntsville, AL
    LBGE -- KAB -- PSWoo and extender -- and a nice pair of tongs
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Enjoying not working on food all day as it's just my immediate family. Rice is in instant pot.

I heard the IP turns out great brisket too!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    Options
    500 said:

Plus the homemade turkey stock turned into turkey gravy, mashed taters, green bean casserole, and rolls. 
    This is the first time I noticed that the kids are drinking beers...

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options
    Spatchcocked and egged on Tuesday. Heated in the oven at 170 while I did the rest of the meal at a relaxed pace as it was just the two of us at home. 

Looking forward to the sandwiches. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.