Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Share Your Unpopular Barbecue Opinion

Options

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Rudy’s bbq chain in Texas is delicious.

Pork belly burnt ends always disappoint me.  

57sauce and cheap steak is a fantastic meal.

Baked goods from the egg always taste like ash no matter how clean your smoke is. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Yep, some of these are definitely unpopular.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    SGH said:
    Rectum stuffed with labia and nipples is horrible.
    I didn’t know that was an opinion - popular or otherwise. I need to get a different circle of friends...
    Or not.  That sounds kinda Roman...

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Ok - I’m in for unpopular. 

We cook large cuts like brisket, ribs and butts for our friends more than ourselves. 

They enjoy it, appreciate the effort, but would rather go with us to a restaurant and have some drinks and food.  We’re pushers because this is our hobby. It doesn’t matter if we really like it either, it’s about getting it right. 

Of course our friends say they like it, maybe it’s even good, but that doesn’t matter. It’s about getting together.  I could cook bad food, we could still have an epic night.  Our best party recently was with store bought French bread pizza at midnight after LCR and a Bell Biv Devoe sing along.  /poison/

but the wine has to be good. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

We cook large cuts like brisket, ribs and butts for our friends more than ourselves. 

They enjoy it, appreciate the effort, but would rather go with us to a restaurant and have some drinks and food.  We’re pushers because this is our hobby. It doesn’t matter if we really like it either, it’s about getting it right. 

Of course our friends say they like it, maybe it’s even good, but that doesn’t matter. It’s about getting together.  I could cook bad food, we could still have an epic night.  Our best party recently was with store bought French bread pizza at midnight after LCR and a Bell Biv Devoe sing along.  /poison/

Soooooo...pretty sure we live 3 minutes apart
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

D’oh! This is at my little lake house in the boonies 3hrs north.  Matt Pitman @MeatChurch got a place on the same lake this year, as I can tell from his Instagram. Near Athens, cedar creek lake. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @johnincarolina is the most popular guy on the forum.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Ike
    Ike Posts: 291
    Options
    Should be ready around 4:00...most men understand (and enjoy), women not so much
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

D’oh! This is at my little lake house in the boonies 3hrs north.  Matt Pitman @MeatChurch got a place on the same lake this year, as I can tell from his Instagram. Near Athens, cedar creek lake. 

I know cedar creek lake well! My grandparents Had a lake house There growing up. 

You should reach out to matt. He’s a great guy.plus he has plenty of “hand cramping cold Miller Lite” and probably more than one Traeger On his patio. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    The barbecue community needs more university professors. 
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    You need a drip pan with water to keep your food moist.

The KBQ does a better job with ribs, briskets, and pork butts.

Your opinion here doesn't matter if you don't post pics of your cooks.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Kayak
    Kayak Posts: 700
    Options
    Pork bellies are disgusting.
    If you're not going to do fatty hunks of meat, there isn't much point to owning an Egg.
    How's that for unpopular?

Bob

New Cumberland, PA
    XL with the usual accessories

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Finish cooks on the gas grill.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I'll list mine separately so as to know which one is disliked the most.

Any time a pork belly isn't made into bacon it is a waste of a pork belly - because no "pork belly anything" has ever tasted as good as bacon.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    When cooking brisket on the Big Green Egg, in order to cook it optimally it is important to block the rising heat really really well - on multiple levels - so that no heat rises onto the meat.  The heat has to go up the sides of the egg around the meat to the dome.  This makes the dome air hotter than the air below the brisket.  Once this is accomplished, you can cook the brisket with the FAT SIDE UP - the way it is meant to be cooked.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    When cooked properly, the meat of the flat of a brisket tastes better than the point.  If it doesn't, you didn't cook it right.

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i dont like short ribs cooked well done covered in ketchup based sauce or well done steak cooked well done covered in ketchup. same thing

but short ribs cooked medium rare over cowboy lump is one of my favorite meals

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Using Dizzy Pig (etc) is why your BBQ is perfectly average. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Owning lots of eggs (for one location) is silly.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    ^^^^^yeah one EGG is enough^^^^
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Meh....all lump is the same.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Turbo pork butts should be injected and smoked at a low temp before they're wrapped.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    When cooking brisket on the Big Green Egg, in order to cook it optimally it is important to block the rising heat really really well - on multiple levels - so that no heat rises onto the meat.  The heat has to go up the sides of the egg around the meat to the dome.  This makes the dome air hotter than the air below the brisket.  Once this is accomplished, you can cook the brisket with the FAT SIDE UP - the way it is meant to be cooked.
    I am completely impressed by the amount of underlying thought that went into this comment. It was also clearly written. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Gary shows up with a strong entry into the most unpopular opinion thread.  We’ll see how many disagrees he gets.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Pulled beef > pulled pork.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Ketchup is the best condiment on a hot dog.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    Your egg will crack.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Anything besides a vinegar sauce on PP is sacrilege. 

This includes ketchup based Lexington style sauce. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Beans or no beans - you still have chili.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA