Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In Memory of a Great Friend and Fellow Egger

Friends and Fellow Eggheads, 

Unfortunately, I am conveying overwhelming and tragic news to our Egghead Community this evening. @bgebrent passed away earlier this week from a fall at his home. While many on the forum knew Brent solely from his witty banter and impeccable culinary posts, some of us are blessed to have known him outside of the forum as a close friend. Brent was a genuine man with a heart of gold, always with his trademark smile and welcoming tone. Brent was always eager to help others, whether being a sous chef for several cooks simultaneously at Butt Blast or volunteering his time and tremendous professional skillset in developing countries. 

Brent was the first person I met in person from the forum. He suggested that we meet at a local hole in wall wing joint. We sized each other up for about 30 seconds and it just clicked. We talked for hours and ate some pretty good wings. I tell folks it’s one of the best first dates I ever had. 
:) Brent’s personality just made it easy. Over the years, our friendship grew and I consider him one of my closest friends. 

Brent made a positive difference in everyone’s lives that he came in contact with. That’s hard to say about people in today’s times. I, like many of you, will miss him dearly. 

I’m sure that many of you are in shock and asking what you can do to help. First and foremost, please lift Nichole and the family up with your prayers and positive vibes. They will need all of the love and support that this wonderful community can provide. If you are so inclined, make a donation to a food based charity whether it is your local food bank or a BBQ Relief type organization. I’m confident that’s what Brent would have wanted. Hug your family tight today for tomorrow is never a given. 

Please post photos and share fond memories of our great friend. I will ensure that Nichole and the family gets a link to this thread to read through the messages of love and support that are sure to flood this post.

I love you Brent. I’ll see you on the other side.

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    RIP Brother
    Mountain View, CA
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

I can't even begin to tell everyone what a great loss this is in my life! I'm still at a loss for words, gone too young. Love Ya Brother Brent and Nichole, who we all know was the cook of the house.

Please keep Nichole and family in your thoughts and prayers.

Jupiter Jim and KayNOcook

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    wow - this is all I can muster after hearing this. RIP bro
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    I was wondering where he had been the last couple days, what a loss.
    Never met him in person but lived vicariously through his posts.
    What a shock, the worlds a lesser place now. Sleep softly brother. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Aw, mannnn.....  :s

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• RIP brother. Hug your loved ones 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2019
    Never met the man but I know a lot of you guys were great friends with him. Im sorry you have lost your friend and we will be praying for all of you guys and his family. RIP Brent

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Our prayers to you Nichole.   Cindy and I are blessed to have met and cooked with him once.    He certainly touched the lives of all  he came in contact with, and those fortunate enough to call him a friend it was special.    

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    A forum stalwart.  His wit and wisdom will be missed.  

Bummed.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    So extremely sad to hear about the news. Prayers for his family and friends.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Damn. So sorry to hear of his passing. Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I know his presence will be missed around here. Hope those who knew him personally find peace in this time of grieving. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Quickest response time on the forum.  Helpful, supportive, cutting wit and true to his opinions.    

I wish I had a chance to meet him.  Big loss for all.
  • The man all ways seemed to exude character and class.
    I never had the privilege to.meet Brent, but the world is a lesser place without him.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,410
    As I first started reading this, I was hoping it was a joke of some kind.  I'm very sad, even though I never met him.  Praying for Nichole and all those close to him.  This sucks! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    OMG, I am so sorry to hear this.
    My condolences to all his family and friends.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• sad news for sure  :o

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    I only have a dozen or so people I consider close friends.  Now I’ve lost one of those.  

As I sit here crying into my bourbon for the second night in a row, I’m lost for words.  As one of my other friends said, “we’ve lost our core”. Brent was a loving, giving, smiling, bird flinging smart ass and I love him dearly.  He went out of his way to check on my family when my dad was sick.  He went out of his way to check on me and my mom after he passed.  No one else knew that till now.  

What a spectacular human being.  

Nicole, when you see this know that your husband was loved by many. I’m sure you know that already. He was a major influence in my mental health this year.  

Brent

”love you, brother”
    Very nice Jason 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    So gutted by the news.

Just a great dude.

Sorely missed and loved, loved by sooo many.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Thanks for the tribute, @DoubleEgger.  Well said.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    The world is an emptier place.
  • thetrim
    Fukin' dude had a passion anyone else could only hope to have half of.....

"ATL" 4Life, brother!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95