Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Getting ready for a 18 km out and back, 1.6 km elevation gain, backpacking and climbing trip today, in the ice and snow of RMNP. It is avalanche season up here, so if there is any risk, we will come back when it is warmer, and try another day.

Yesterday we started our morning with a 300m climb, behind our VRBO, then did some of the most beautiful hiking/climbing we have ever done here. We were in snow at 8000' and it was still 4 ft deep this time of the year.

Bear Lake is still frozen, which is extremely unusual this close to June, and the Alpine Highway which has always been open by Memorial Day is closed and likely will remain so into early or mid June. (14" of snow fell Monday, another 8" yesterday.)
    The Alpine visitors center is completely covered in snow.

This has been a banner year for winter weather in the Northern Rockies.

The melt is just now happening, creating spectacular,  very powerful waterfalls and rapids in the streams that eventually make up the Colorado River.

Elk, deer, moose, and mountain lions are everywhere. We even saw a wild turkey (my first time seeing one here)..... at elevation.

The Cactus is blooming out here with the snow still on the ground, at cold temps and in the upper elevations. I had never seen that before.

We witnessed a few folks that will likely never hike another trail again, at least not up here, during late spring.

Tennis shoes, shorts and t shirts....and they got caught in the snow storm. As they were being helped out of the wilderness, by rangers and volunteers, we watched them slip and fall numerous times.

These darwin awards candidates, are the reason so many deadly accidents, occur up here.

SMMFH.
    So so many folks underestimate nature......never ceases to amaze me.  Have a great time and be safe.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    It was kind of funny, after finishing a hike and a climb, returning to the trailhead, people that were thinking about doing the hike, saw how geared up Suzy and I were....
    Most turned around, yet other flat landers would come up and ask us if we thought they could make it....in running shoes...jeans and a fleece....while we were taking off our crampons and busting down our hiking poles....
    I just told them there is deep snow and Ice on the trail. It is very slick with some drop offs. I would not do it without the gear.
    They went anyway. 10 minutes later they came back, obviously had fallen and said F-this.....we had not even gotten our vehicle loaded with our gear...
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I saw a news conference yesterday (one of many from her) w the yoga instructor in Maui that went missing for 14 days.  Interesting outlook on life she has.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    It was kind of funny, after finishing a hike and a climb, returning to the trailhead, people that were thinking about doing the hike, saw how geared up Suzy and I were....
    Most turned around, yet other flat landers would come up and ask us if we thought they could make it....in running shoes...jeans and a fleece....while we were taking off our crampons and busting down our hiking poles....
    I just told them there is deep snow and Ice on the trail. It is very slick with some drop offs. I would not do it without the gear.
    They went anyway. 10 minutes later they came back, obviously had fallen and said F-this.....we had not even gotten our vehicle loaded with our gear...
    People are so dumb.  In March we did a night at Phantom Ranch with mule rides down and out of the canyon.  We would see people heading down the South Kaibab trail with one 20 oz bottle of water.  In both the Grand Canyon and Zion, and by Horseshoe Bend, there were people egging their friends out onto tiny outcrops of rock over the canyons for a better photo.  And don't get me started on the idiots I've seen starting to hike up Mt. Washington in NH in flip flops.

It's frankly shocking that there aren't more deaths in our wild areas.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Acn said:
    YukonRon said:
    People are so dumb.  In March we did a night at Phantom Ranch with mule rides down and out of the canyon.  We would see people heading down the South Kaibab trail with one 20 oz bottle of water.  In both the Grand Canyon and Zion, and by Horseshoe Bend, there were people egging their friends out onto tiny outcrops of rock over the canyons for a better photo.  And don't get me started on the idiots I've seen starting to hike up Mt. Washington in NH in flip flops.

Took the cog train up Washington... did take long to make that decision!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    Acn said:
    YukonRon said:

seen two guys get taken off washington, one died, the others hands blew up like softballs.  saw an interview with him later, lost most of his fingers, said he would do it again, what an idiot. washington is just too close to downtown boston.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Found another place where @lit doesn't shop.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Found another place where @lit doesn't shop.

I’d shop there. Would just make sure I cleaned all the nasty dog off anything I bought.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    Image result for dog shaking gif
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I saw a dog at Lowes this weekend and it was chilling in the kids Nascar cart pretending to drive. I pulled out my phone to take a picture for Lit. Than I thought better. I don't need to explain to the parents that I wasn't taking a picture of their kids. Didn't want to be that creepy guy.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Heading out to the my deck with flip flops and a drink, I think I will be alright.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Delicious dinner Pete.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    SGH said:
    Working hard my friends. 

ugly hat Scottie
    And he needs a shave 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 686
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    SGH said:
    Working hard my friends. 

ugly hat Scottie
    The hat looks good to me. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    And he needs a shave 
    You will have to forgive me this time my friend. I have been working insane hours the past few days. We are attempting to to recover the pipeline so I have been putting in some 18 hour shifts. Once the line is recovered you won’t see me unshaven again👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited May 2019
    Options
     I guess I will never shave again.
     :o  :o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    Filled up my truck with "freedom molecules" tonight. Last fill up was six months ago. I think I need to drive around more.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Reflecting on what my wife just told me. Short background, I usually have a beard (on wifeys orders) but every once in awhile I get the itch to give it a nice clean @SGH shave. So I did tonight. I then walk in our livingroom and my wife says  “You look like donkey b*lls” I am both bewildered and terrified of this statement. Was she literal? How does she know what they look like? I guess I will never shave again.This opens up a whole can of worms into our longstanding relationship.....
    Any guy with a current Man-card would say, within the next 24 hours, "Yeah, you look fat in those pants".  
    And, forever after, you can get by with just a Small Egg.   ;)

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Reflecting on what my wife just told me. Short background, I usually have a beard (on wifeys orders) but every once in awhile I get the itch to give it a nice clean @SGH shave. So I did tonight. I then walk in our livingroom and my wife says  “You look like donkey b*lls” I am both bewildered and terrified of this statement. Was she literal? How does she know what they look like? I guess I will never shave again.This opens up a whole can of worms into our longstanding relationship.....
    I shaved my beard Saturday. First day back at work today. First coworker I see, "Whoa. You must have lost 3lbs in just beard". I had a couple other people not even realize it was me when walking into the room.

More or less got lazy last fall and let the beard roll. Nice for winter but not going to fly in the summer. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Botch said:
    Any guy with a current Man-card would say, within the next 24 hours, "Yeah, you look fat in those pants".  
    And, forever after, you can get by with just a Small Egg.   ;)
    I did just buy a minimax  =)

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SGH
    Options
    For the brothers and fellows reading the forum. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Really?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm confident she knows exactly what donkey balls look like.
    Options
    I'm confident she knows exactly what donkey balls look like.
    Concur. Are the gerbils well?