Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket..... How I do it.

Options

Comments

• BigHurc
    Options
    I’ve been reading about the OG Travis’ brisket method for so long. I may try it for New Years. Anybody got some tips for a first timer?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    BigHurc said:
    I’ve been reading about the OG Travis’ brisket method for so long. I may try it for New Years. Anybody got some tips for a first timer?
    Yeah, don’t. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The Magnum Splitjack meat injector is the best at busting some butt cheeks.  At least that's what i've been told.
    BigHurc said:
    If you must try, use select grade. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I use it but I put halved onions in the pan under the brisket to keep it above the water and use a baster to remove some water during the cook if it gets too much. also I do fat down and wrap entire pan in foil at stall and move to 300 degree oven since no more smoke will get into brisket.  When finished and like buttah to probe turn off oven, open door for a few mins then close door and let sit for about 30 mins to rest and stabilize.   Has always been good but with less bark than some ways.  I use 1 can or bottle of dark beer in pan. We like it better than when done indirect on grate but purists do not like it.  
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • BigHurc
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    I use it but I put halved onions in the pan under the brisket to keep it above the water and use a baster to remove some water during the cook if it gets too much. also I do fat down and wrap entire pan in foil at stall and move to 300 degree oven since no more smoke will get into brisket.  When finished and like buttah to probe turn off oven, open door for a few mins then close door and let sit for about 30 mins to rest and stabilize.   Has always been good but with less bark than some ways.  I use 1 can or bottle of dark beer in pan. We like it better than when done indirect on grate but purists do not like it.  
    Thanks homie!
  • Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    I’ve tried it with brisket flats, short rib burnt ends,and pork butt carnitas

works fine

• Col4bin
    Options
    BigHurc said:
    Yeah, don’t. 
    Dont try it? Why? I mean I read through a couple hundred great posts- 600 posts of people doing it the way they like to do it and think its the best, along with a bunch of ball busting and ridiculous banter...

I mean, whats wrong with Travis' way? Serious question.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with it.  It is particularly suited to small briskets and flats which are hit or miss more than larger subprimal cuts.
    Options
    We like it with the mods I suggested on all Briskets and I usually do a 12-16 pound packer on my XL    I buy either a very good select or if available on sale a very good choice    I can not afford prime or ones not on sale.  Also I very seldom inject but if I do it is with beef stock.
    My favorite rubs for brisket are Dizzy pig coarse dizzy dust or redeye express both from dizzy pig and add some shaking the tree to them.
    We think this method makes the select and choice briskets more tender and juicy but it does have less heavy bark.    Why not PM Travis and ask him.    He is very good
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Col4bin said:
    BigHurc said:
    Yeah, don’t. 
    Dont try it? Why? I mean I read through a couple hundred great posts- 600 posts of people doing it the way they like to do it and think its the best, along with a bunch of ball busting and ridiculous banter...

Dude, it’s a joke.  Chill
  • BigHurc
    Options
    GoldenQ said:
    We like it with the mods I suggested on all Briskets and I usually do a 12-16 pound packer on my XL    I buy either a very good select or if available on sale a very good choice    I can not afford prime or ones not on sale.  Also I very seldom inject but if I do it is with beef stock.
    My favorite rubs for brisket are Dizzy pig coarse dizzy dust or redeye express both from dizzy pig and add some shaking the tree to them.
    We think this method makes the select and choice briskets more tender and juicy but it does have less heavy bark.    Why not PM Travis and ask him.    He is very good
    From what I hear, the homie Travis is one of the best. I wish he was around more. 
  • Col4bin
    Options
    Col4bin said:
    BigHurc said:
    Yeah, don’t. 

Dude, it’s a joke.  Chill

No need to be a keyboard warrior, it was a legitimate question.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Nothing is wrong with it.  It is particularly suited to small briskets and flats which are hit or miss more than larger subprimal cuts.
    Sooo....I read a lot of this and still a little slow on the joke. Is it that it just won't die?
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sooo....I read a lot of this and still a little slow on the joke. Is it that it just won't die?
    Yes. Travis does not even cook them this way anymore but it got like 100k views. It was the most viewed post on the forum before the “what are you doing now” thread popped up. People were busting Travis’ nuts by continually bumping it long after he moved to the traditional method of cooking them. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Yes. Travis does not even cook them this way anymore but it got like 100k views. It was the most viewed post on the forum before the “what are you doing now” thread popped up. People were busting Travis’ nuts by continually bumping it long after he moved to the traditional method of cooking them. 
    ahh... I wasn't quite as lost as i thought I was.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    If you are smoking a brisket for chili I recommend this method and save all the liquid from the cook and use it for the base of your chili. I did this one year and served the chili at the Eggtoberfest, it was eggcelent and received rave reviews. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JRWhitee said:
    If you are smoking a brisket for chili I recommend this method and save all the liquid from the cook and use it for the base of your chili. I did this one year and served the chili at the Eggtoberfest, it was eggcelent and received rave reviews. 
    The Shiner Bock/Allegro/Beef Fat base really is hard to beat.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Anyone know if you can use this method with beef cheeks?
    Options
    ..and if so, pls come up with a name for it.
    415.5k views?  Maybe it’s tome to give it a try. Next time maybe. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • BigHurc
    Options
    “Bustin cheeks” maybe?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Nola’s Mouth Meat?

This actually should work well. I took a bbq class with meat church a few months ago and his guest  was Evan LeRoy who runs a fancy bbq trailer here in austin. He only does brisket on saturdays but does beef cheeks every day. They are smoked 4 hours then confit in the smoker for another 4 in brisket fat. They were incredible. You could do something similar with the allegro/beer/fat. He takes all the trim and cooks it the same way but makes barbacoa out of it on the plancha. 

That.  Looks.  Horrible.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Nola’s Mouth Meat?

This actually should work well. I took a bbq class with meat church a few months ago and his guest  was Evan LeRoy who runs a fancy bbq trailer here in austin. He only does brisket on saturdays but does beef cheeks every day. They are smoked 4 hours then confit in the smoker for another 4 in brisket fat. They were incredible. You could do something similar with the allegro/beer/fat. He takes all the trim and cooks it the same way but makes barbacoa out of it on the plancha. 

That.  Looks.  Horrible.
    It was. Don’t try it. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Bump.

I just want to see how many points it has.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    A Bump on this thread is a most unfortunate thing.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Nola’s Mouth Meat?

Where is the trailer and the name please. Will try it. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.