Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wild Yeast

Options

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    EggDan said:
    Based on a comment above, I decided to bulk ferment for over 5 hours vs my normal 3.5 hours. The result was a much airier soft crumb, which I really enjoyed. I also tried a 12 hour Autolyse. Regardless, it turned out really good. 

I even got some of the bubble action during the bulk fermentation. 

Nice Loaf!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Sourdough waffles.

I believe this has been posted before, but they’re so farkin good, they need to be posted again. Stupid easy, but wonderful. 

And a breakfast beer. It was ok. 

Ol skool Hindi tunes on Sonos. The weekend is off to a good start :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @caliking . along with your discarded starter, what goes in it?
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    Its the NY Times Sourdough Waffle & Pancake recipe

I dont know what 1 cup of unfed starter is, so I just dumped the “discard” from my starter tub into the mix. Maybe it was 100g or so.  And I doubled the vanilla. Made 7” x 5 waffles. 

Have made these a couple of times now, and by far the best recipe I’ve tried. 

• lkapigian
    Options
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking I have this on the counter for tomorrow morning. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking I have this on the counter for tomorrow morning. 
    I think @20stone pointed me to this recipe a while back.

I really liked the texture of the pancakes, and the waffles turned out crispy on the outside with a little crunch to them. I’m not a fan of soft waffles, so these were perfect. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking @20stone The pancakes were delicious. I forgot to take pics... We were hungry this morning. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking @20stone The pancakes were delicious. I forgot to take pics... We were hungry this morning. 
    I made them this morning with expired buttermilk. Disgusting. Who knew buttermilk could go bad???

then my wife says “why didn’t you use the new carton?” What?!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @blind99 That’s funny. Yeah, who knew milk that’s bad when you buy it could get worse?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    edited April 2018
    Options
    So, @20stone also turned me on to John Currance’s “ Big Bad Breakfast” which was eye-opening (at least for me). If you’re a cook book type of person, please get this one. It’s full of tons of goodness. 

One big take home point was that I needed to have buttermilk available. Always. So it’s now on the weekly grocery list for staples. 

‘Coz life is too short to wish for buttermilk when you get that hankering for sourdough pancakes/waffles. Or biscuits made from scratch. Or whafever. 

• blind99
    Options
    Wife ended up making her recipe with good buttermilk so all was OK. But they’re better with the starter. 

Anyhow. Here was a recent bake. I wanted some guaranteed spring, for a sandwich loaf. I threw a bit of commercial yeast into the final dough. Maybe a third of a packet of instant yeast. Forgot to grease the pan so getting it out was dicey but all ended well. 

• caliking
    Options
    Here’s something new for y’all - tandoori (khamiri) roti. 

A friend turned me on to this. These would traditionally be made in a tandoor, and are similar to naan. Khamir means yeast. Back in the day, a bit of old dough would be added to the new batch, as starter. 

Test at batch of dough was made with KAF WW and AP 1:1. Good but not great. Got some “aata” (wheat flour for making roti) from the Indian store and it made all the difference. These turned out awesome. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    Ok dude - make up your mind. Which one of these flatbreads do I need to make for crying out loud. :)
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • blind99
    Options
    This whole wheat loaf came out with great flavor - I think because of the really long refrigerator time. I kept getting delayed with work so I’d take it out awhile then throw it back in the fridge. 

100g starter, 100g WW, 100g water. Then added 500g flour, 230g water, and a little less than 1% salt. Did a series of kneads/folds every 15-30 minutes then threw it in the fridge. I didn’t do any more kneading or folding after that. Ended up baking it almost 48 hours later. It’s got a really great sourdough tanginess. 

• lkapigian
    Options
  • blind99
    Options
    Spectacular!
  • EggDan
    EggDan Posts: 174
    Options
    @SciAggie that looks great. 

Today I went to a local bakery and they had an Olive Polenta Sourdough Bread, which was incredible. It’s “Dan the Baker” for those of you in Columbus Ohio. 

I am going to try Olive Bread next. Has anyone made this before? I’m pretty sure that they use some Olive Juice on top of the Olive slices. I’m just wondering when to introduce the Olives...bulk ferment? 
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Getting consistent, found a small bowl does a better job than a bannaton and my yard sale dutch oven is better than the Le Cloche I bought....could have saved some money on useless products

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @lkapigian ☝Please expound Larry. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    Options
    @lkapigian ☝Please expound Larry. 
    I guess what I'm saying, when I first started with sourdough, I overthought it, bought stuff I " thought" would make the perfect t loaf....then,with some time I realized ( like good bbq) its not the tool, but the experience from the one using it...I can turn out great protein on just about anything and now I realize and had all the tools for good sourdough already in my kitchen
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @lkapigian I can dig that. I still like the final proof in a naked or cloth lined banneton. I also have a nice stand mixer but when it comes to sourdough bread, tortillas and other bread items I prefer to mix and knead by hand. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • lkapigian
    edited May 2018
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL I have skipped the mixing all together except for a quick minute or two mixing the starter in after the autolyse...and go right into stretch and fold...I tried that funky mixing teqnique slopping it the the bowl, used a combo of that and my stand mixer, and have found ( for me ) no mixing works fine
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Getting consistent, found a small bowl does a better job than a bannaton and my yard sale dutch oven is better than the Le Cloche I bought....could have saved some money on useless products

Very nice loaves. I wish mine consistently looked that good. 

But whatever made you think this forum was going to save you money?? :smiley:

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    The left one was supposed to be baseball stitches. Look closely.  The right one, home plate. Lol. 

• caliking
    Options
    I see it. Nice loaves :)

• lkapigian
    Options
    The left one was supposed to be baseball stitches. Look closely.  The right one, home plate. Lol. 

Nice !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited June 2018
    Options
    I made my 1st starter about 2 weeks ago. I fed it daily for 5 days until nice and bubbly then because it was going to be a week or so before I was going to use it, I put it in the fridge. I took it out of the fridge the day before I created my levain so it sat out on the counter overnight before I made the levain. So after speaking with @caliking I decided to try my hand at baking a loaf this past weekend. While the taste was great the loaf just didn't rise. I had lots of air pockets but no rise. Great color also. Any ideas? I'm thinking I may have something going on with my starter since it was only out a day before I made the levain. I noticed when I went to proof it in my banneton for 4 hours on the counter after my initial rise it hardly changed size. I would have taken a picture but I was too ashamed. Any thoughts?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I made my 1st starter about 2 weeks ago. I fed it daily for 5 days until nice and bubbly then because it was going to be a week or so before I was going to use it, I put it in the fridge. I took it out of the fridge the day before I created my levain so it sat out on the counter overnight before I made the levain. So after speaking with @caliking I decided to try my hand at baking a loaf this past weekend. While the taste was great the loaf just didn't rise. I had lots of air pockets but no rise. Great color also. Any ideas? I'm thinking I may have something going on with my starter since it was only out a day before I made the levain. I noticed when I went to proof it in my banneton for 4 hours on the counter after my initial rise it hardly changed size. I would have taken a picture but I was too ashamed. Any thoughts?
    Did you feed it that one day it was in the counter, or did you use under starter?