Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Run

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    Daaayum. That's a nice haul. 

We both know a guy with a commercial refrigeration fetish... 
    He is too far from me and not trustworthy with meat storage. 
    My rates are VERY reasonable. 
    Yes.  @20stone is the master of the house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k6uqhKEAOM

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    bgebrent said:
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

He is too far from me and not trustworthy with meat storage. 
    My rates are VERY reasonable. 
    Seems it's pinned on "trustworthiness".  Seems legit. ;)
    In the grocery store business, thay call it "shrink".
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    caliking said:
    Dude, you're approaching the exit ramp to homesteading.

I dig it. Those pies do look fantastic.
    it's getting close. I lost 5lbs the first week and didn't count a single calorie. Just made what I wanted to eat with local natural ingredients. That's not why I'm doing it but was pretty shocked to see that. 

I’ll suggest it’s the reduction in meat/increase in veggies & whole foods you mentioned not that this is groundbreaking detective work.  I went a few steps further years ago opting for a primarily plant based life & I’ll tell you for a couple years it was a struggle to keep weight on though I’ve since cracked that code to climb up to & maintain an appropriate weight.  I support a local CSA & like you I didn’t go in the direction I did for weight loss but it’s pretty interesting if not amusing having the exact opposite problem that plagues most Americans.

happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Zippylip said:
    caliking said:

it's getting close. I lost 5lbs the first week and didn't count a single calorie. Just made what I wanted to eat with local natural ingredients. That's not why I'm doing it but was pretty shocked to see that. 

I’ll suggest it’s the reduction in meat/increase in veggies & whole foods you mentioned not that this is groundbreaking detective work.  I went a few steps further years ago opting for a primarily plant based life & I’ll tell you for a couple years it was a struggle to keep weight on though I’ve since cracked that code to climb up to & maintain an appropriate weight.  I support a local CSA & like you I didn’t go in the direction I did for weight loss but it’s pretty interesting if not amusing having the exact opposite problem that plagues most Americans.

I am trying to flip the tables to eat “mostly plants” but certainly not there yet. I have committed to not eating factory farmed meats so that definitely means eating  plants when I go out to eat in most cases. There are some farm to table places around and some wild caught fish but it’s shocking how few places you can eat out in the world if you are trying not to eat factory produced foods (especially meat). I have a work trip to Chicago this weekend with a group of people. Should be interesting.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    How are you defining factory processed meat? No grain? No feedlot? Not processed in a big slaughter house? What else?
    We’re trying to eat “cleaner” around here, and am curious to what that really means. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip said:
    caliking said:

I am trying to flip the tables to eat “mostly plants” but certainly not there yet. I have committed to not eating factory farmed meats so that definitely means eating  plants when I go out to eat in most cases. There are some farm to table places around and some wild caught fish but it’s shocking how few places you can eat out in the world if you are trying not to eat factory produced foods (especially meat). I have a work trip to Chicago this weekend with a group of people. Should be interesting.

I liken it to cigarettes or any other habit, most that are successful in stopping actually want to as opposed to those that think they have to for whatever reasons like weight management, health/medical, legal... 

About two years ago I extended this to eggs & dairy.  Same thing happened, didn’t set out to do it just lost interest.  Like meat I still consume these things, just far more rarely.  My once raging pizza addiction has dwindled to about once/month. 

Come to think of it a lot of this came on the heels of the now ex-wife taking a hike back in 2011, it seems once I came under control of food shopping the situation pretty quickly changed =)

By the way the restaurant community will catch up to that sort of demand, it pretty much has here.
    happy in the hut
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited March 2018
    jeffwit said:
    How are you defining factory processed meat? No grain? No feedlot? Not processed in a big slaughter house? What else?
    We’re trying to eat “cleaner” around here, and am curious to what that really means. 
    First, let me say this. I have very little real knowledge about all this so following what I do is the blind leading the blind. It could all be bull$hit but I'm trying it to see how it makes me feel. So far, so good. I'm just a guy who saw a few documentaries (again) and have the opportunity to eat a little better so I'm giving it a shot. I've known all this for years but haven't done anything about it. Not sure what's different about now. probably just older and looking for ways to stay upright. 

For me factory processed animals are raised/finished in confinement, fed or finished on a feed lot, given hormones and/or antibiotics, are (not always but often) treated inhumanely, and slaughtered and processed in a factory.

I'm looking for animals that were raised on a farm, given free access to be outside, eating their natural (pesticide and fertilizer free) diet, not given antibiotics or hormones, treated humanely (we like to say our pigs have one bad day), and they are processed in smaller facilities that do not do commercial processing.  I have enjoyed getting to know the farmers and butchers but that's just a bonus because I'm nerdy that way.  

• Zippylip said:
    Zippylip said:
    caliking said:

I liken it to cigarettes or any other habit, most that are successful in stopping actually want to as opposed to those that think they have to for whatever reasons like weight management, health/medical, legal... 

About two years ago I extended this to eggs & dairy.  Same thing happened, didn’t set out to do it just lost interest.  Like meat I still consume these things, just far more rarely.  My once raging pizza addiction has dwindled to about once/month. 

Come to think of it a lot of this came on the heels of the now ex-wife taking a hike back in 2011, it seems once I came under control of food shopping the situation pretty quickly changed =)

By the way the restaurant community will catch up to that sort of demand, it pretty much has here.
    we have lots of choices here but I travel a lot for work. That's where it gets dicey. 

Oh, and I could just give up booze and all of this wouldn't even matter. I actually eat fairly well and make most of my food anyway. That's what this really is about :lol:

• Zippylip
    Zippylip said:
    Zippylip said:
    caliking said:

we have lots of choices here but I travel a lot for work. That's where it gets dicey. 

Oh, and I could just give up booze and all of this wouldn't even matter. I actually eat fairly well and make most of my food anyway. That's what this really is about :lol:

you know i think you're onto something, my drinking dropped precipitously the day the old lady bounced ;)
    happy in the hut
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Give up booze....
    That’s just crazy talk. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,895
    jeffwit said:
    Give up booze....
    That’s just crazy talk. 
    Wouldn't have anything to post in the "What are you drinking now?" thread.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Friday's would not be quite as fun around here with no booze.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

holy cow.  the beef looks awesome.  the pizzas look awesome.  i'm so hungry now. 

@johnincarlina you'll never believe this - or maybe you will - i bought speakers from a guy in a white van once. 

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

lots of good places that will serve you good meats here!  some place like the publican. actually if i could hit someplace in chicago now it would be band of bohemia.  michelin-starred gastropub.  mmmmmmmm
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • blind99 said:

lots of good places that will serve you good meats here!  some place like the publican. actually if i could hit someplace in chicago now it would be band of bohemia.  michelin-starred gastropub.  mmmmmmmm
    I'm staying at the Palmer House this weekend. Any thoughts on something downtown?

I';ll see if I can get in band of Bohemia sometime this weekend/ 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    blind99 said:

holy cow.  the beef looks awesome.  the pizzas look awesome.  i'm so hungry now. 

@johnincarlina you'll never believe this - or maybe you will - i bought speakers from a guy in a white van once. 

I did too, believe it or not.   I did a lot of really dumb things in college, and that was one of them.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99 said:

I did too, believe it or not.   I did a lot of really dumb things in college, and that was one of them.
    I have bought some **** from creepy dudes in white vans but Speakers weren't one of them.

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Following the comments about eating habits and weight loss. I've had an interesting recent experience also. I decided I was tired of being overweight since at one point not many years ago I was quite fit and a cycling nerd. I just went back to using an app to help me track calories. I still eat well - I'm just aware of the calorie density and amounts in foods. I've lost 16 pounds in around 40 days by doing nothing more than adding a bit more vegetation and watching the calories. As was said earlier - I just decided it was time. It hasn't been very hard to do.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    That bark. Glorious. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    That bark. Glorious. 
    It was gooey and delicious. It's actually for tonight's dinner but I couldn't help picking at it (if you can call eating about 1/4lb "picking")
  • Houston folks - Texas Star Grill Shop on Greenbriar has Akaushi from Heartland Brand Beef. I stopped in while I was in town last weekend and picked up strips that were packed the day before for $14.99/lb. They were incredible (birthday celebration for the sister inlaw)

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • 20stone
    caliking said:

Things have once again escalated out of control.

Fridge in the middle was a discount purchase to get us through the next hog. It was cheap and is noisy. @20stonespice is likely to kick us both out. 

Ad JIC shelving as well, but no lack of space.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • Houston folks - Texas Star Grill Shop on Greenbriar has Akaushi from Heartland Brand Beef. I stopped in while I was in town last weekend and picked up strips that were packed the day before for $14.99/lb. They were incredible (birthday celebration for the sister inlaw)

That is a great price. 
  • 20stone said:
    caliking said:

Fridge in the middle was a discount purchase to get us through the next hog. It was cheap and is noisy. @20stonespice is likely to kick us both out. 

The ice is thin...
  • Foghorn
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

I really love the verbiage of this post.  "Things have once again escalated out of control."

That makes it sound like you were a passive bystander in the process.  

Did you find Mike Tyson's tiger in the garage too?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• 20stone
    Foghorn said:
    I really love the verbiage of this post.  "Things have once again escalated out of control."

That makes it sound like you were a passive bystander in the process.  

Did you find Mike Tyson's tiger in the garage too?
    Hey, I can't really be held responsible when I am faced with logistical challenges, and the solution is MOAR REFRIGERATION.  The fact that I may have had a hand in the creation of those challenges is incidental.

The fridge, however, will be gone before too long.  Too noisy to sit well with @20stonespice.  I've gotta keep the G'raj Mahal high class.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @20stone First world problems for sure, lol
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Foghorn
    She wants it quiet for when you have to sleep out there?

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    The 2nd most important run!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyCPhIjmk-s

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.