Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Run

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Legume said:
    Wow!!
    There is definitely another shady parking lot meat deal in my near future. I still have some left but this is the best skirt I’ve ever had. The ground was incredible to and at $6 lb he’s 40% cheaper than all the primo/wagyu guys I know of 
    I need some of that shady parking lot skirt.
    There’s your creepy Uncle post. Lol. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Legume said:
    Wow!!
    There is definitely another shady parking lot meat deal in my near future. I still have some left but this is the best skirt I’ve ever had. The ground was incredible to and at $6 lb he’s 40% cheaper than all the primo/wagyu guys I know of 
    Haha - I’ll have to find a good pic to go with it.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    So when I'm in Austin at the end of May, I should bring a cooler?
    NOLA
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Legume said:
    Legume said:
    Wow!!
    Haha - I’ll have to find a good pic to go with it.
    Here you go 
  • buzd504 said:
    So when I'm in Austin at the end of May, I should bring a cooler?
    Yep. Hit me up and I’ll make sure you know all the good spots. They are actually all in parking lots but some are sanctioned and some are not. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I get the meat runs too sometimes and unfortunately 
    edited March 2018
    #1 said “everyone says great Tuna is like steak but this steak is like sashimi grade tuna”. He was right. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Great looking steak and excellent pics (as always)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    Can’t take it anymore.  I need that hookup.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2018
    Legume said:
    Im calling him tomorrow. Cali is in town this weekend so maybe we can all do a weird parking lot meat buy 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    Outstanding. I thought I did well eating HEB Prime 1 this evening. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume said:
    One has not truly lived until they have bought meat in a parking lot. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Legume said:
    Im calling him tomorrow. Cali is in town this weekend so maybe we can all do a weird parking lot meat buy 
    It almost would have been more normal if we were talking about dime bags or something.  

Its come to the point where people at work have stopped asking about what I did on the weekend, because explaining it all takes a while. 

That’s a primo meal btw. Outstanding. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    We are extremely fotunate. We have a Farmer's Market every Saturday (March through December) 2 blocks from our home, and directly across the street from the Great Flood Brewing Company. We look forward to the weekends, stock up on fruits, vegetables, and protiens. There is also a wine, meade, artisan cheese, food trucks, pet foods and dairy. The live music is great too.

Great haul of future great meals. Thank you for posting.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Parking lot wagyu flat iron with chimichurri we
    made from the garden. Ho-Lee-chit. Parking lot guy has quickly become our favorite. 

The raw pic looks like more fat than meat, but oh my God that cut pic looks like Nirvana, Valhalla, Paradise, Heaven, Zion, and Arcadia rolled into one. Gonna have to look for some.

Out here in the Cereal State (land of fruits, nuts, and flakes) we have a famer's market on every street, it seems. But I have never seen meat at any one of them. They are great for fresh veggies, but I have to go elsewhere for the non Vegan stuff.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867
    made from the garden. Ho-Lee-chit. Parking lot guy has quickly become our favorite. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited March 2018
    Yno said:

The raw pic looks like more fat than meat, but oh my God that cut pic looks like Nirvana, Valhalla, Paradise, Heaven, Zion, and Arcadia rolled into one. Gonna have to look for some.

Out here in the Cereal State (land of fruits, nuts, and flakes) we have a famer's market on every street, it seems. But I have never seen meat at any one of them. They are great for fresh veggies, but I have to go elsewhere for the non Vegan stuff.
    Ha ha. Yeah, this is still Texas. There are 2-1 meat to veg vendors at the farmers market I go to. The veggie people are great though. They pull stuff out of the ground at 6 am for the market that day. 

This meat I found on faceboook and bought in a parking lot. He’s my favorite of all the beef we have around. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I love this thread. If you were to take some of these statements and quote them out of context, y’all would sound like a bunch of p3rverts. 
    That flat iron does look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • 20stone
    SciAggie said:
    I love this thread. If you were to take some of these statements and quote them out of context, y’all would sound like a bunch of p3rverts. 
    When you meet us in person, we sound like p3rverts IN context
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    This is as good as it gets. Its much weirder in person. When you are elbow deep in a pig with someone, it tends to lower the level of discourse beyond what is socially acceptable. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795
    20stone said:
    SciAggie said:
    This is as good as it gets. Its much weirder in person. When you are elbow deep in a pig with someone, it tends to lower the level of discourse beyond what is socially acceptable. 
    I can vouch for that.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Today was the mother of all meat runs. Met Caliking at our processor to pick my haul of the sausage and cured cuts as well as the chops they were still holding for us. Then parking lot guy came to my house and delivered the goods. I’ll get some pics tomorrow but let’s just say I am out of freezer space. All the beef is still in the cooler until I can figure out where to put it. Flanks, skirts, flaps, chuckeyes, and 20lbs of ground. I’m sharing this with some other people but it’s a lot of beef.

The guy was explaining his operation to me a little today. They just built a USDA slaughter facility on the farm and ran their first cows through this week. He said “it will  do 200 a week, but we aren’t that big. More like 200-300 a month”. He has roughly 5000 head right now! They are going high-end genetics and shipping a lot of the primo cuts overseas. Fine with me, I prefer the ugly ducklings anyway and they need a home for them. He lives 5 min from me and said he will run stuff by any time. 

Picked a bad time to start eating less meat!Igave him some Mangalitsa Chops and he was thrilled with them. They have some pigs but they are just playing around. He is producing goats and sheep though. Getting some of that next time. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,867

He is producing goats and sheep though. Getting some of that next time. 
    You should hit up @bgebrent if you want some tips on how to get with the goats or the sheep. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636

He is producing goats and sheep though. Getting some of that next time. 
    You should hit up @bgebrent if you want some tips on how to get with the goats or the sheep. 

Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 20stone
    I’m sharing this with some other people but it’s a lot of beef.
    I’ll be a little hurt if there isn’t any in the cooler coming this way.

The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Then parking lot guy came to my house and delivered the goods....He is producing goats and sheep though. Getting some of that next time. 
    Lamb for merguez and goat for currybrito sausage. We have a LOT of fat to soak up. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Then parking lot guy came to my house and delivered the goods....He is producing goats and sheep though. Getting some of that next time. 
    Lamb for merguez and goat for currybrito sausage. We have a LOT of fat to soak up. 
    I didn’t get it until late this afternoon. Was trying to send some back with Cali but the guy didn’t get to me in time. I’ll bring some next time I’m down. I’ll be in Houston for work in 3 weeks. 
  • 20stone
    edited April 2018
    20stone said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    I didn’t get it until late this afternoon. Was trying to send some back with Cali but the guy didn’t get to me in time. I’ll bring some next time I’m down. I’ll be in Houston for work in 3 weeks. 
    Cool. I’m dead serious about the lamb and the goat. I’d take the leanest cuts he has...probably legs, and we could get crazy making sausage
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove

Austin, TX
  • 20stone said:
    20stone said:

The Cen-Tex Smoker said:
    Cool. I’m dead serios about the lamb and the goat. I’d take the leanest cuts he has...probably legs, and we could get crazy making sausage
    I told him to bring me some as soon as it was available. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I feel like my "meat swapping in a parking lot " cherry has been sort of popped. 

Feels good. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.