Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Run

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    I feel like my "meat swapping in a parking lot " cherry has been sort of popped. 

Feels good. 
    It’s only weird the first time. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    caliking said:
    I feel like my "meat swapping in a parking lot " cherry has been sort of popped. 

Feels good. 
    It is either popped or it's not.  There is no "sort of".
    NOLA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    Maybe he said that because the parking lot meat swap was a benefit from a friend, not an internet hookup.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    Maybe he said that because the parking lot meat swap was a benefit from a friend, not an internet hookup.
    Technically it is an internet hookup. We met on here. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    It’s popped. This was one of the best. Had to drive an hour to get there and there are 4 dudes breaking down a cow carcass as we discussed who got what. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    It’s popped. This was one of the best. Had to drive an hour to get there and there are 4 dudes breaking down a cow carcass as we discussed who got what. 
    I am assuming one of the dudes was from the Government (USDA or FDA) making sure your health was not in jeopardy? ? ? ?  

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    It wears off after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:

buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    I am assuming one of the dudes was from the Government (USDA or FDA) making sure your health was not in jeopardy? ? ? ?  

This is a USDA facility. They were busy too! Pig and cow parts actively being worked and packed
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    It wears off after a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV1XWJN3nJo

Catchy and oddly topical. I am so confused right now. Am I Natalie or the guy in this scenario? Or are they both a metaphor for my daily struggles? I need some time to digest all this. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @caliking is Natalie.  The rest is whatever you imagine/make it to be.  Let your conscience be your guide.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    "Let your conscience be your guide"

This has not served me well to this point. I'm working on it.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @caliking is Natalie.  The rest is whatever you imagine/make it to be.  Let your conscience be your guide.
    I suspect this comes as news to @caliking, never mind Natalie.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 
    With 3 full sets of teeth between them. At best. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Gawd, I hope not. Can’t stand chicks in tank tops. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Can’t take it anymore.  I need that hookup.
    Im calling him tomorrow. Cali is in town this weekend so maybe we can all do a weird parking lot meat buy 
    It almost would have been more normal if we were talking about dime bags or something.  

Its come to the point where people at work have stopped asking about what I did on the weekend, because explaining it all takes a while. 

That’s a primo meal btw. Outstanding. 
    I hear you about the explaining.... here's how it went for me:

How was your vacation?  Great.  I met two guys from an online forum in the back of a bar.... How'd that turn out?  Great.  I came away with awesome new sauce and BBQ products to try, and a jar of MOTHERFREAKING white gold lard.  Then I stopped by one guy's garage to see his refrigerators and pick up some starter.  How'd that turn out?  Well, I lost the starter but my wife saw his "dishwasher" and says I need one.

Many thanks to @caliking and @20stone for their recent hospitality and a great visit!  I'll post a pic of the sauce and lard haul one of these days.

In short: meeting people from the internet in parking lots or bars doesn't always end up badly
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:
    Foghorn said:
    Gawd, I hope not. Can’t stand chicks in tank tops. 
    I'm much more concerned with you being "cold, ashamed, lying naked on the floor". I didn't know you saw me take that extra chop when I thought you weren't looking. That is on me. 

I am ashamed that I just listened to that whole song. Twice.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:
    Im calling him tomorrow. Cali is in town this weekend so maybe we can all do a weird parking lot meat buy 
    It almost would have been more normal if we were talking about dime bags or something.  

Its come to the point where people at work have stopped asking about what I did on the weekend, because explaining it all takes a while. 

How was your vacation?  Great.  I met two guys from an online forum in the back of a bar.... How'd that turn out?  Great.  I came away with awesome new sauce and BBQ products to try, and a jar of MOTHERFREAKING white gold lard.  Then I stopped by one guy's garage to see his refrigerators and pick up some starter.  How'd that turn out?  Well, I lost the starter but my wife saw his "dishwasher" and says I need one.

Many thanks to @caliking and @20stone for their recent hospitality and a great visit!  I'll post a pic of the sauce and lard haul one of these days.

In short: meeting people from the internet in parking lots or bars doesn't always end up badly
    I've had pretty good luck on here as well. I try not to talk about it because it just sounds weird to outsiders. 
  • caliking
    Options
    it does get weirder.

Met up with @pigfisher a short while ago to swap meat in the back lot of a Lowe's. Second time in 24hrs. Lowe's employee walks over to us:

Her - " Do you have a card?"
    Me - "Huh? For what?"
    Her - "oh. I thought you were selling fish out of your truck."

I guess I have options if the day gig doesn't work out. 

• caliking
    Options
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

It was a joy to meet you and your wonderful family. So glad we could meet up for a spell.

And if your better half wants to buy you a dishwasher, shut your pie-hole, step out of the way, and let her do her thang :smiley:

(PS - I realized as I was driving home, that I quaffed a few beers on your tab. My bad. But apparently, I'm known for that. Ask @henapple and @Foghorn...)

• caliking
    Options
    I'm much more concerned with you being "cold, ashamed, lying naked on the floor". I didn't know you saw me take that extra chop when I thought you weren't looking. That is on me. 

I am ashamed that I just listened to that whole song. Twice.
    That about sums up a few nights in college and med school. 

And I was wondering why the cooler felt lighter than it should have. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @caliking no worries - i opened a tab, and on the way out grabbed the card from the bar and told them @20stone was paying cash.  hope that worked out OK for him... 

Wife was like damn, these guys know their cooking, they've got lots of great ideas.  I said yes, I've been stealing them for the past few years now :)
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Foghorn
    Options
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

It was a joy to meet you and your wonderful family. So glad we could meet up for a spell.

And if your better half wants to buy you a dishwasher, shut your pie-hole, step out of the way, and let her do her thang :smiley:

(PS - I realized as I was driving home, that I quaffed a few beers on your tab. My bad. But apparently, I'm known for that. Ask @henapple and @Foghorn...)
    I haven't found you to be a beer mooch.  I see you more as a guy who brings some decent beer and is prepared to drink and share it - but actually hopes that I'm bringing some that is better.  Your cooler ends up being the insurance beer.  

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

I've had pretty good luck on here as well. I try not to talk about it because it just sounds weird to outsiders. 
    Try leading with "last week my son and I made some mortadella musubi on a camp grill at a cabin on the Guadalupe River."

(funny look from coworker)

"The mortadella was homemade from a pig that I bought with some guys I met on the internet.  "

San Antonio, TX

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

Try leading with "last week my son and I made some mortadella musubi on a camp grill at a cabin on the Guadalupe River."

(funny look from coworker)

"The mortadella was homemade from a pig that I bought with some guys I met on the internet.  "
    That should do it. 
  • caliking
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    blind99 said:
    caliking said:
    Legume said:

I haven't found you to be a beer mooch.  I see you more as a guy who brings some decent beer and is prepared to drink and share it - but actually hopes that I'm bringing some that is better.  Your cooler ends up being the insurance beer.  
    And I'm ok with that :smiley: 

(Note to self - next time, drink moar of Fog's beer, less of your own)

• caliking
    Options
    kl8ton said:

buzd504 said:
    caliking said:

Feels good. 

Health shmealth. I ate all kinds of animals for half of my life, butchered by folks doing it for generations without any kind of govt supervision. And I made it this far. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And the murder cooler money shot after everything was unpacked.

Plug on my cooler is missing and I have a very happy dog right now  

Cleaned out the freezers to make room
    for the new haul. I don’t have a single piece of meat in either freezer that I dont know the farmer that raised it and the packer who processed it. Pretty happy about that. Im a little short on yardbird but way long on wagyu and grass fed beef and meat from our pigs. I’ll grab a few chickens at the farmers market this weekend and we are probably good on meat for the summer. I even made a spreadsheet with what I have and all the locations (which freezer and where) so I waste as little as possible. We got our first serious garden in the ground this year and it’s all growing like crazy. Going to be a fun summer for cooking this year! 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    Nice 'Tex.

Any garden pics?

We have some of @DMW snow up here right now.  Going to start planting indoors.
    Grand Rapids MI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Nice 'Tex.

Any garden pics?

We are doing all raised/containers on the deck with a berry hutch being built for the yard. Not the prettiest setup yet  but I’ll get some pics later and post. I love having all the greenery up by my cooking area. Just feels right 
  • kl8ton
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Nice 'Tex.

Any garden pics?

We are doing all raised/containers on the deck with a berry hutch being built for the yard. Not the prettiest setup yet  but I’ll get some pics later and post. I love having all the greenery up by my cooking area. Just feels right 
    With the raised stuff, the deer don't have to bend over so far to reach it!  I bet with it on your deck, that cuts down on some of the herbivore activity.  Do you have a fenced in backyard?

Hopefully this year I am woodchuck free.  The woodchuck empire was shut down early last year.  I think we totaled 16 confirmed kills with another 2 or 3 possible.  
    Grand Rapids MI