Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Friday night and the EggHead Forum option of the forum choices is eerie quiet- I need to get a life!

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    Pork, chicken, beef, cat, dog.
    canuckland
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,343
    If someone orders their steak well-done with catsup, do they have any standing to criticize the eating habits of anyone?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 11,056
    Botch said:
    Okay, it's Friday night and the 5 pm news is all about our new la-dee-dah NHL team, so I'm going to start a fight.

Seasoning the edges of steaks, fish and chops IS WRONG!!  Fight me!  

If you salt the top of a steak, all the salt is concentrated there:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
      0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

As the salt sinks into the meat (not thru osmosis, but some other process (Fight me!)), eventually salt reaches the bottom of the steak, albeit weaker than at the top:

5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

If you let the steak sit in the frig long enough, the salt will eventually be evenly distributed throughout the meat, but by that time the proteins are denatured and other big words, so you don't want to do that.  Now, if you salt just the bottom of the steak, and let it sit overnight, the reverse happens:

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 
      2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2
      3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3 3
      4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 4 
      5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5 5

So, most of us salt both the top and the bottom, and the salt levels throughout the thickness add and becomes equal in a short amount of time:

6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 
      6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 6 

Now let's imagine what happens when you salt just the edge (we'll say the left edge for this graphically-poor example), and let it sit overnight; then you get a seasoning distro like this:

5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0  
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0
      5 4 3 2 1 0 0 0 0

(see where I'm going with this?)
    If you follow the advice of too many ewetube cooks, and salt the top, bottom, AND the edges of your steak, and let it set overnight, the final salt distribution is once again additive, and you get this:

11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6   
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6 
       11 10 9 8 7 6 6 6

...and the perimeter of your steak is overseasoned, roughly equal to the thickness of your steak.  That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.  :tongue:

-----

So, what should you do to season a cylindrical shape of protein, like a tenderloin?  By my thinking, salt it evenly all the way around the cut, but not on the ends, or they'll be overseasoned, as per above.  What about an odd-shaped cut, like a butt or worse, a tri-tip?  I guess at that point you eyeball it, and try to season more light on the corners and tips (just salt the entire thing when the aspect ratio falls under 1.618, that would be too hard to draw).  :glasses:

Can you tell I'm bored tonight?  :sleepy:

How did I ever miss this post  B)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    I would love for someone to run this experiment above with salt and do a blind taste test, my guess is the differences are indistinguishable if all steaks are salted with the same amount of salt, just distributed differently.
    Not a felon
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    lkapigian said:

:lol:  Thanks for digging this up!  We just started this argument on another forum and I didn't feel like typing all that garbage up again, now I can copy/paste!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Canugghead
    Botch said:
    lkapigian said:

:lol:  Thanks for digging this up!  We just started this argument on another forum and I didn't feel like typing all that garbage up again, now I can copy/paste!  
    Need diagram of what happens when you stab with needle at random spots to inject brine  ;)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Many migrants are big Joey Chestnut fans.
    canuckland
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    GrateEggspectations - Only ever went thru Kenosha on the rail line while off duty heading thru Racine to Milwaukee. Lots of train rides on weekends when I was at BE&E school at Great Lakes. Drinking age at that time was 21 in Illinois and 18 in Wisconsin. Thanks for the wayback memory revival.  :)
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,176
    Ready for a drink.  Sat through a 8 hr tax strategy class.  Now a 2hr drive.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,724
    lousubcap said:
    Actually have an event this evening in Bremerton, WA (PDT).  Speaking at a now decommissioned submarine crew reunion (I did not serve on the boat) about events I was up close and personal with during Operation Desert Storm some 33 years ago.  When my name was floated around 18 months ago, I suggested others but said that if they got to the bottom of the bullpen I would step-up.  I guess reunions tend to attract ancient presenters.
    I have known the organizer for many years.  I suspect I am the "path of least resistance."  It will be good times!
    Hope you told them that the “Cow Drives the Cook”. 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,497
    Ready for a drink. Ended up fighting a guy three times at the hospital (long story) before they decided to sedate him. Then I had to sit there all day for him to wake up before taking him to jail. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ready for a drink.  Sat through a 8 hr tax strategy class.  Now a 2hr drive.
    Ready for a drink. Ended up fighting a guy three times at the hospital (long story) before they decided to sedate him. Then I had to sit there all day for him to wake up before taking him to jail. 
    I’m sure he was terribly sorry once he started to understand just where he was going.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    I’m sure he was terribly sorry once he started to understand just where he was going.
    Then screaming, banging, and spitting.  I don’t have the disposition to deal with the general public on a good day, I can’t imagine the dregs of society on their worst days.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Looking fwd to next week

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    All quiet in flyover country here.  Just returned from giving a brief speech at a POW/MIA ceremony (today is National POW/MIA Recognition Day-third Friday in September) at the local VFW post.  Very lightly attended.  🇺🇸
    Perhaps next year!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,025
    This prolly won't stimulate much of a discussion, but I found it kinda interesting.

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    I have a funny meme, perfect for this thread, but will refrain out of better judgement.

• Battleborn
    I have a funny meme, perfect for this thread, but will refrain out of better judgement.
    Sounds like poor judgement to me. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Ike
    Ike Posts: 325
    Post it for Frank, it's Friday.
    Owensboro, KY.  First Eggin' 4/12/08.  Large, small, 22" Blackstone and lotsa goodies.
  • Ozzie_Isaac

• Battleborn

Very nice. Thank you
    Las Vegas, NV

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,044
    We need a laugh button.  Like, agree, laugh.
    Not a felon
  • Battleborn
    Also, those CCTV camera clips are pretty crazy. Amazing how “they” were able to get those pagers out. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Cleaning the fridge out and I think I’m done, just as I shut the door I see a bottle of thousand island with 1/4” of dressing in the bottle dated 2022, toss it, one final sweep and there is another in the same door pocket half full dated 2023, (How did I miss these!) against my better judgement I kept it but now I want a Reuben. (I know it should be Russian dressing but try finding that in central Ohio, and is there a difference!?) Also swmbo is stock piling bacon, I’m not sure what that is all about you can never have too much bacon, but she could probably quit adding it to the list.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Cleaning the fridge out and I think I’m done, just as I shut the door I see a bottle of thousand island with 1/4” of dressing in the bottle dated 2022, toss it, one final sweep and there is another in the same door pocket half full dated 2023, (How did I miss these!) against my better judgement I kept it but now I want a Reuben. (I know it should be Russian dressing but try finding that in central Ohio, and is there a difference!?) Also swmbo is stock piling bacon, I’m not sure what that is all about you can never have too much bacon, but she could probably quit adding it to the list.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    Acknowledging the recency bias I agree with Bob Costa regarding the greatest offensive one day performance in MLB history.   
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,611
    Those kids had a front row seat to history.  I bet they will be lifelong Dodgers fans.  
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI