Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pictures of Pets (2023)

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Ok, horrible question but…

the pup gets caught chewing on turds from time to time.   I do my best to clean the yard several times per week but clearly miss some scuds.  

I’ve had dogs my entire life but turd munching is new to me.   

Pup gets fed very well, gets treats/snacks/etc.  on top of the usual food (2 cups in the morning and 2 at night).

is he missing something in his diet that he is after (Purina One + Puppy food).  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    Nope. He’s either just eating it for fun (scavenging), or because he’s trying to keep his own place clean. One of my two did it until he was about six months old. My son called him turd breath. 
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    edited October 2023
    My sista beulah used to eat dog poops all the time. Once I found out she was doing that I stopped french kissing her all together. I mean I have scruples....
  • Ok, horrible question but…

the pup gets caught chewing on turds from time to time.   I do my best to clean the yard several times per week but clearly miss some scuds.  

I’ve had dogs my entire life but turd munching is new to me.   

Pup gets fed very well, gets treats/snacks/etc.  on top of the usual food (2 cups in the morning and 2 at night).

is he missing something in his diet that he is after (Purina One + Puppy food).  

Just remember that when your wife asks you to save a bite of your steak, or bacon, or whatever for fido
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TechsasJim
    ColbyLang said:
    Nope. He’s either just eating it for fun (scavenging), or because he’s trying to keep his own place clean. One of my two did it until he was about six months old. My son called him turd breath. 
    Well the turd breath is real from time to time.   

Thanks all for the feedback.   I’ll try and keep the yard cleaner to avoid.   
  • ColbyLang
    One other thought, are you over feeding? Every bag has a weight/cup ratio. My 75# Aussie Doodle doesn’t eat 4 cups a day 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Pretty sure Purina killed my last dog with poisonous Chinese produced treats. Total kidney shutdown. Better food will reduce gas, biscuits, and the amount he needs to eat
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    My 90 pound Bernese mountain dog eats 3 cups per day.  Thru Covid, the food we were using became unavailable. We were forced to switch. After eating the replacement food for a while, he started eating his poop. We switched again and he stopped.
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962

kl8ton said:
    My 90 pound Bernese mountain dog eats 3 cups per day.  Thru Covid, the food we were using became unavailable. We were forced to switch. After eating the replacement food for a while, he started eating his poop. We switched again and he stopped.

Why would you switch if he started eating his own poop? That's the very definition of a self cleaning dog. You could breed the bajeebers out of that dog, and nobody would have to walk around with little bags of dog poop anymore. People will pay good money for that.
  • ColbyLang
    Both pups (the big one is a year old now, the little one will be a year in about 3 weeks) eat Merrick sweet potato and chicken. Vet says no need for big boy to be on large breed food. They’re currently eating a blend of puppy food and adult food for the transition 
  • TechsasJim
    Well we are doing what the vet said to do.   Unsure if during this stage of puppy hood he needs 4 cups but he always seems to be hungry and he is thin as a rail.   We feed him using a slow feed bowl and he will go back to his bowl after it’s done over and over looking for more.   

He doesn’t always munch on turds but happens maybe 1-2x / week.  
  • fishlessman
    Well we are doing what the vet said to do.   Unsure if during this stage of puppy hood he needs 4 cups but he always seems to be hungry and he is thin as a rail.   We feed him using a slow feed bowl and he will go back to his bowl after it’s done over and over looking for more.   

i think most pups do it, mine liked the canadian geese green candy bars until he learned to keep geese out of the yard. dont have that problem anymore, used to be dozens of them out on the lawn spitting out candy bars

fukahwee maine

• Well we are doing what the vet said to do.   Unsure if during this stage of puppy hood he needs 4 cups but he always seems to be hungry and he is thin as a rail.   We feed him using a slow feed bowl and he will go back to his bowl after it’s done over and over looking for more.   

I am curious about this detail.  Have you found something that genuinely slows him down?

For Otto we have a large, wobbly Kong we use for breakfast.  It takes him maybe 5 minutes to get the food out of it.  Looking at the "slow feed bowls" on Amazon, I don't think any of them would actually take him much longer.  We're trying to find something that maybe takes him closer to 20 minutes to get through.  Some of the puzzles we have are close to that, but they're a pain to set up first thing in the morning.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    and now to look into slow feed bowls......and why.....

my energetic bird dog eats 1.5/2 cups a day....once.  takes 3 minutes eating a 1/3 pound burger patty with cheese, like to savor and chew his food
    fukahwee maine

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    edited October 2023
    @JohnInCarolina
    We had one of these for a really fast eating Bernese Mountain dog.  He ate so fast and swallowed so much air, that he seemed like he was going to throw up afterward.  Lots of gagging, coughing, and heaving after each meal.  This worked well. 

Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    My 2 dogs combined54 and 85 pounds) get 2.5 cups twice a day. They refuse to use separate bowls but they don’t fight over it either. When the pup is grown I will start throttling down on the supply. That is probably about when the older dog takes the final siesta going by age.
  • fishlessman
    so now the french naming convention starts with U.  call name will be jack/jacks. french breed so

upcountry jacques de ..........
    upland jacques de ..........
    union jacques de .......... im good with pissing off the french and the english =)

any other ideas
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    jumpquing jacques?  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• so now the french naming convention starts with U.  call name will be jack/jacks. french breed so

union jacques de .......... im good with pissing off the french and the english =)

any other ideas
    unic jacques de cawksuhquer
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,322
    so now the french naming convention starts with U.  call name will be jack/jacks. french breed so

any other ideas

Wasn't the convention "V" some weeks back?  Why is it now "U"?
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • fishlessman
    dbCooper said:

any other ideas

Wasn't the convention "V" some weeks back?  Why is it now "U"?
    I was bumped up into a 2023 litter, u is for 2023.
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman

any other ideas
    unic jacques de cawksuhquer
    You already have a name...suppose you could change it
    fukahwee maine

• TechsasJim

I am curious about this detail.  Have you found something that genuinely slows him down?

For Otto we have a large, wobbly Kong we use for breakfast.  It takes him maybe 5 minutes to get the food out of it.  Looking at the "slow feed bowls" on Amazon, I don't think any of them would actually take him much longer.  We're trying to find something that maybe takes him closer to 20 minutes to get through.  Some of the puzzles we have are close to that, but they're a pain to set up first thing in the morning.  

Oh for sure John.   The little “maze” in the bowl definitely slows him down.    Takes him 3x as long to finish now than before.   For small $ on Amazon it seems to work for both him and my daughters big Lab.  
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    edited October 2023

Oh for sure John.   The little “maze” in the bowl definitely slows him down.    Takes him 3x as long to finish now than before.   For small $ on Amazon it seems to work for both him and my daughters big Lab.  
    Maybe I'm just applying my own human traits to a dog situation, but if I had to struggle with a "puzzle" to eat any meal, much less all of them, I'd probably turn vicious, bark all night, piss on the Altec-Lansings and bite the mailman.  

Reading this last page or two has been eye-opening to me; I don't remember any dog (from being a kid at home, GFs, and my own two Corgis here in UT) who "ate too fast", maybe I just never noticed.  I did notice that fahncy, soft snacks (like "Snausages" or "Pup-peronis") were snapped and swallowed without any chewing for enjoyment, so my boys eventually just got these little dry biscuits as daily treats (still got a nibble of steak, chicken or demi-glacé, on occasion).  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    Yeah I just gave my Boxer a couple of spoons of beans and rice. He had his eye keratonomy today so he needed a little something.
  • Botch said:

Maybe I'm just applying my own human traits to a dog situation, but if I had to struggle with a "puzzle" to eat any meal, much less all of them, I'd probably turn vicious, bark all night, piss on the Altec-Lansings and bite the mailman.  

Haha Botch.  I don’t think the food puzzles piss off the dogs at all.  They might get a little frustrated when they can’t get them to work, but the action of trying exercises their brains, in addition to slowing their food intake down.  It’s a perfectly healthy, helpful thing for the dogs.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    Botch said:

Reading this last page or two has been eye-opening to me; I don't remember any dog (from being a kid at home, GFs, and my own two Corgis here in UT) who "ate too fast", maybe I just never noticed.  I did notice that fahncy, soft snacks (like "Snausages" or "Pup-peronis") were snapped and swallowed without any chewing for enjoyment, so my boys eventually just got these little dry biscuits as daily treats (still got a nibble of steak, chicken or demi-glacé, on occasion).  

ive never seen these either, all my dogs eat slow, occasionally will wolf it down but will still leave food in the bowl for later. my current dog will even eat slower if theres other dogs there, more like a game to tease for him. that being said, my dogs are busy, if outside the britts will hunt nonstop all day, relentlessly.  my brothers boarder collie will eat all day, i think its more boredom than anything. those dogs need to be worked. its wide enough to use as a coffee table
    fukahwee maine

• poster
    poster Posts: 1,200
    I've always just left food out and all my dogs seem to just eat as much as they want when they want. I did do this from when they were pups though. I think sometimes sticking to a tight feeding schedule and metering amounts makes them take advantage and wolf down the food when it is there. This doesn't apply to labs obviously, food needs to be under lock and key with these guys
  • fishlessman
    poster said:
    I've always just left food out and all my dogs seem to just eat as much as they want when they want. I did do this from when they were pups though. I think sometimes sticking to a tight feeding schedule and metering amounts makes them take advantage and wolf down the food when it is there. This doesn't apply to labs obviously, food needs to be under lock and key with these guys

labrador dog collars........

Do Not Feed Reflective Safety Release Cat Collars With Do Not image 1

fukahwee maine