Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    @caliking: You’re really nailing the cooks these days. Can we see a cross cut? Missing out on the coconut filling here. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    @caliking: You’re really nailing the cooks these days. Can we see a cross cut? Missing out on the coconut filling here. 
    Yeah, @caliking.  Torture us some more!  Please, sir, can I have another?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    Indian family made HK sweet coconut buns and Chinese family made spicy Keema beef buns on same day, spooky  =)

@caliking can I trade some with you?

Damn
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Not chefing, going with some lobster stew that was shipped from Maine as part of birthday presents for SWMBO and I.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    @Canugghead there must have been a ripple in the universe! That’s just too funny. 

And, YES, I would gladly trade for some of those keema buns. They look delicious!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Beef curry, homemade tortilla, lacto fermented onion, thai chili.

Like Like Like.  Slow down @Canugghead I’m having a hard time keep up with your killer cooks 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    Haha @Mattman3969 we've seen your cooks, you're too modest.
    canuckland
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Indian family made HK sweet coconut buns and Chinese family made spicy Keema beef buns on same day, spooky  =)

My mouth is watering. My grandmother, who spent half her time in Pakistan, made a Keema that could melt your face. My wife used to make buns filled with cold cuts, pesto and cheese. They carried us through our later years in university. You’ve just given us great ideas. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @caliking You have cooked some fantastic things lately. I suspect you have begun measuring things. Come out of the closet - own up to it. It’s ok to say you measure Ingredients. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @Canugghead Those beef buns look delicious. Two of my favorite things together - beef and bread. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking You have cooked some fantastic things lately. I suspect you have begun measuring things. Come out of the closet - own up to it. It’s ok to say you measure Ingredients. 
    What are you trying to say... all the other stuff was no good?? =)

Baking is chemistry, and thus calls for measuring! That’s when stoichiometry counts for something. 

• SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking Your other stuff is most excellent. I’m saying you seem to have elevated your cooking to an even more impressive level. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:

Potato salad - made with Shiner beer. 

I found an old cookbook for “cooking with beer” made by the Spoetzl Brewery. I bought it just because - you know - cooking with beer. 

I need to hear more about this, please.

Eldest sis makes a pretty darn good potato salad with bacon and buttermilk, but I've never been terribly impressed with any that I've made myself. 

• Canugghead
    Options

My mouth is watering. My grandmother, who spent half her time in Pakistan, made a Keema that could melt your face. My wife used to make buns filled with cold cuts, pesto and cheese. They carried us through our later years in university. You’ve just given us great ideas. 
    Interesting Indian subcontinent connection, would love to hear more about your grandmother. Cold cuts, pesto and cheese sounds great...our favourite pizza topping is nuked potato slices on swmbo's home grown basil pesto sauce. With your baking skill I'm sure you can knock any buns out of the park.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @Canugghead Those beef buns look delicious. Two of my favorite things together - beef and bread. 
    Give that a shot, I'm sure it'll come out even better in your WFO!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options

That plated pic is killing me!
    canuckland
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options

Mother’s Day fish tacos at the request of the wife, MIL and my mom. 
  • SciAggie
    Options
    @caliking

This potato dish was good - but I’m not completely certain I’d call it potato salad. 
    For the recipe:
    I cut potatoes into large chunks - they’ll break down a bit later. Boil them until they are fork tender. I cooked about 1 1/2 pounds of potatoes. 
    While boiling finely dice some onion. It’s added raw. I used 2-3 tablespoons. 
    I cooked 2 slices of thick bacon. Drain and crumble. Reserve the drippings in the skillet. 

This is the odd part. Basically make a roux. I used 2 Tbsp of bacon drippings and 2 Tbsp of flour. To this add 1/2 tsp of dry mustard. I also added some homemade whole grain mustard. S&P. Add 1 Tbsp of sugar. Then add Shiner beer to form a sauce. Make it a thickness the spirits of your ancestors would approve of. I added red wine vinegar also for the acidity. (Note - the cookbook recommends using stale beer when cooking)

Now chop up a bit of parsley. Combine everything together and place in an oven proof dish. I was cooking Boston Baked beans at the time @225 degrees, so thats how hot the oven was when they went in. I let them heat about 30 minutes or so. 

I’m not completely sure I’d call this potato salad. It was more of a delicious side dish that reminds you of potato salad. Either way, my wife said she’s like to have it again - so there ya go...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 780
    Options
    how do i remove my name from this thresd 
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • SciAggie
    Options
    If you get notifications for every post, you must have it marked as a favorite. Go to the top of the page and look to the right of the thread title. There you will see a star. If it is “colored”, then tap it to remove it as a favorite. Then you will not get notifications. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    @caliking

This potato dish was good - but I’m not completely certain I’d call it potato salad. 

Oh wow! That is indeed  more than a potato salad. I'm always looking for ideas re: sides, so I've got this bookmarked. Thanks.