Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,826
    edited April 2021
    @JohnInCarolina: Btw, meant to say that I see almost no gradient, hence my mention of great doneness. Did you do it on the grill, as APL calls for (if I am recalling correctly)? That uniform colour would almost lead me to suspect SV. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,058
    @JohnInCarolina: Btw, meant to say that I see almost no gradient, hence my mention of great doneness. Did you do it on the grill, as APL calls for (if I am recalling correctly)? That uniform colour would almost lead me to suspect SV. 
    Done on the BGE actually.  Sear then roast. There were a couple things I did differently that may have impacted the final result, as typically you will see more of a gradient this way.  I wasn’t actually trying to get that, just dumb luck.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @JohnInCarolina: Btw, meant to say that I see almost no gradient, hence my mention of great doneness. Did you do it on the grill, as APL calls for (if I am recalling correctly)? That uniform colour would almost lead me to suspect SV. 
    Done on the BGE actually.  Sear then roast. There were a couple things I did differently that may have impacted the final result, as typically you will see more of a gradient this way.  I wasn’t actually trying to get that, just dumb luck.
    Paging @lousubcap.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,547
    I'm not familiar with APl's techniques, but however you got there definitely worked!  Sear then roast aka Trex style?  Care to expand on the "...couple of things I did differently..." for us pedestrians? 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,411
    Egrets ham recipe 

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    SciAggie said:
    We had paella last night for Good Friday. Sorry, no finished pics. 

I've asked you this before but I can't find the shortcut, but which Paella pan is that you're using? That looks super heavy duty. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,210
    SonVolt said:
    Grilled some Lamb T-Bones yesterday on the XL. Someone mentioned a technique of keeping the bottom vent closed and the dome open, that the fire spreads across the top instead of down.  It worked great for quick searing. Got ridiculously hot, but without the annoying jet engine up-draft that requires closing the dome.  

nice cook, probably my favorite cut. almost like eating candy
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801

Looks wonderful! I've been wanting to make char siu for a looong time. Will give this a go.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • easter, i think half a sweet potato costs more than a serving of ham.

bourbon and grand marnier doaked raisins

then the left overs

weeks worth of sandwiches

future potato dish and soup 7 dollars goes along way

It all looks good, but those sandwiches are what have me drooling. 
  • fishlessman
    easter, i think half a sweet potato costs more than a serving of ham.

then the left overs

first thing i ate this morning was another sandwich, the bark on the ham is really good with the sandwich. sweet with some dijon added
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Ended up eating grilled cheese, SWMBO got home late and I got lazy.  I ate a slice off the flat.  Great test of the 16" vacuum sealer.  Will try to get a money shot tonight.
    @nolaegghead - made good on your Friday Zoom comment about cooking that bad boy over the weekend.  Great bark.  I'm sure the flavor and texture were quite tasty.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gmanrva
    gmanrva Posts: 424
    SonVolt said:
    Grilled some Lamb T-Bones yesterday on the XL. Someone mentioned a technique of keeping the bottom vent closed and the dome open, that the fire spreads across the top instead of down.  It worked great for quick searing. Got ridiculously hot, but without the annoying jet engine up-draft that requires closing the dome.  

Those chops look awesome!!
    LGE Mechanicsville Va, XLGE Wake Va., LGE Duck NC.
    Formely Gman2 before password debacle 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    @SonVolt It is a 22” Pata Negra pan. They are a bit thicker than a standard pan. The Pata Negra pans hold up well when cooking over live fire. If the fire gets a bit hot they don’t warp on you. 

Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • SciAggie
    @nolaegghead That looks like a mighty fine feast. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    caliking said:

Looks wonderful! I've been wanting to make char siu for a looong time. Will give this a go.
    Really like this recipe and method. Oh, forgot to mention ... for 1.5 times the recipe I added roughly two heaped TBS of fermented/preserved bean(tofu) curd.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801

then the left overs

first thing i ate this morning was another sandwich, the bark on the ham is really good with the sandwich. sweet with some dijon added
    I love ham. Need to try the raisins  soaked in Grand Marnier + bourbon. 

Do you reduce it, and make it syrupy?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,316
    SciAggie said:
    @SonVolt It is a 22” Pata Negra pan. They are a bit thicker than a standard pan. The Pata Negra pans hold up well when cooking over live fire. If the fire gets a bit hot they don’t warp on you. 

Thx. Does the pan have a rolled edge, or thick cut edge like a traditional carbon steel skillet?
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • SciAggie
    SonVolt said:
    SciAggie said:

Thx. Does the pan have a rolled edge, or thick cut edge like a traditional carbon steel skillet?
    It has a rolled edge. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • fishlessman
    caliking said:

then the left overs

I love ham. Need to try the raisins  soaked in Grand Marnier + bourbon. 

Do you reduce it, and make it syrupy?

i went with the ingrediants used on the ham, orange juice, bourbon, grand marnier, brown sugar, cloves, and ginger, plus added a little cornstarch. dont soak the raisins too long, they really soak up the alcohol, they were soaked separately
    fukahwee maine

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,761
    Tonight’s meal is SRF filets. Sous Vide at 131° for an hour, then hard sear in butter with aromatics in a cast iron skillet. Glad I bought my parents 4 for Christmas. Nothing like getting invited to enjoy them
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,058
    Skirt Steak with Mango Black Bean salsa

Love that style of salsa.  The wife makes it on occasion and we like to eat it with lime chips.  It’s addictive.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike