Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,611
    caliking said:
    Pops cheffed this. 

Similar to Rice  Krispy treats, but made with date palm jaggery and puffed rice. And a bit of camphor. 

He said he last made these 70yrs ago. They were farkin delicious! Its always fun to spend some time cooking with him. 
    Agreed. You write down the recipe when he wasn’t looking didn’t you? That was what I wish someone did with my Grandmother’s orange coconut cake before she forgot the original recipe. My older sister only remembers that it took 3 large oranges. In all fairness Grand mother never used actual measurements nor did she write down recipes. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,965
    I can eat couple of those after some masala puffed rice @caliking!  
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    Pops cheffed this. 

Similar to Rice  Krispy treats, but made with date palm jaggery and puffed rice. And a bit of camphor. 

He said he last made these 70yrs ago. They were farkin delicious! Its always fun to spend some time cooking with him. 
    Agreed. You write down the recipe when he wasn’t looking didn’t you? That was what I wish someone did with my Grandmother’s orange coconut cake before she forgot the original recipe. My older sister only remembers that it took 3 large oranges. In all fairness Grand mother never used actual measurements nor did she write down recipes. 
    Cooking with Pops is a trip. This has just 4 ingredients, but it went down like this (he’s chef, I play sous):

me - how much water?
    pops- that much. 
    Me - how much jaggery?
    pops - yeah, that much is good. 
    Me- how much camphor?
    Pops- half of that. (2 mins later). That’s too much. Take some of it out. 
    Me- I don’t think it works like that. 
    Pops- you’re not trying. 

... and so on.  But, I’m thankful every day that I can have these moments with him. 

PS - we chef goat curry about every 2 weeks. Still don’t have the recipe down. 
    Outstanding chef work there.   And you got the doctor down.
    Outstanding chef work there.   And you got the doctor down.
    In more ways than one. Pops is/was an orthopedic surgeon. Don't tell him I said "was". 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,801
    @ryantt - that's some great lookin' chix. 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,611
    Botch said:
    Keema (masala-spiced ground beef):

Ground beef is sautèed with lots of red onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, Anaheim chile, yogurt, cilantro and a huge amount of Kashmiri Garam Masala.  
    Got this out of Cooks Illustrated.  Very spicy and tasty.  Tomorrow I'll dice and cook up a potato and add it, which makes Keema Aloo.  

So Indian Hamburger Helper? Kidding, looks great.
  • nolaegghead
    Daily factoid: 2/3 of Indian states have laws that make it illegal to slaughter cows.  7% of Indians do eat beef.  Some prefer beef to the more expensive goat.
    Daily factoid: 2/3 of Indian states have laws that make it illegal to slaughter cows.  7% of Indians do eat beef.  Some prefer beef to the more expensive goat.
    I believe that the Sikhs have no religious objection. They might be the 7% number. Btw I knew about Hindu objections but the joke really wrote itself.
  • caliking
    Botch said:

Ground beef is sautèed with lots of red onion, garlic, ginger, tomato, Anaheim chile, yogurt, cilantro and a huge amount of Kashmiri Garam Masala.  
    Got this out of Cooks Illustrated.  Very spicy and tasty.  Tomorrow I'll dice and cook up a potato and add it, which makes Keema Aloo.  

Looks good!

There's no wrong way to make keema. My version gets cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and some other stuff. And peas for the veg. I'll sometimes add spinach, to change things up a bit. 

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,444
    caliking said:
    Botch said:

Looks good!

There's no wrong way to make keema. My version gets cumin, coriander, cinnamon, cloves, and some other stuff. And peas for the veg. I'll sometimes add spinach, to change things up a bit. 
    It’s one of our favorites, especially when Costco has the ground lamb packs.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• caliking
    I believe that the Sikhs have no religious objection. They might be the 7% number. Btw I knew about Hindu objections but the joke really wrote itself.
    Sikhs don't usually eat beef. Many are vegetarian. The beef eating folks are mainly Christian and Muslim, plus some others ( e.g. urban Hindus). 

But 7% seems kinda low.

Another fun factoid - only about 25%ish of Indians are vegetarians.

• nolaegghead
    Casting off the history of multi-generational magical beliefs and thought-reading omnipotent and vengeful wizards, I can eat anything I want, any time I want.
    Making a big batch of tapioca pudding.  Been a while.

Love chicken parm. What did you use for your breading?
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    bucky925 said:
    Still trying to step back from all the red meat, so tonight was chicken parm.

Love chicken parm. What did you use for your breading?
    Panko bread crumbs mixed with Parmesan cheese. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @Botch that keema sound awesome. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,027
    The original recipe called for goat, but my local grocer was fresh out again, and Lam Lan (or Lan Lam?) developed this recipe for beef.  
    Tomorrow I may have to tell my high school graduation dance gig story involving wonderful goat dishes in north-central New Mexico, many years ago.  That was a lifetime adventure!  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.  

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,497
    Tri-tip night. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• nolaegghead
    Botch said:
    The original recipe called for goat, but my local grocer was fresh out again, and Lam Lan (or Lan Lam?) developed this recipe for beef.  
    Tomorrow I may have to tell my high school graduation dance gig story involving wonderful goat dishes in north-central New Mexico, many years ago.  That was a lifetime adventure!  

Casting off the history of multi-generational magical beliefs and thought-reading omnipotent and vengeful wizards, I can eat anything I want, any time I want.
    I finished reading last week's Time magazine, and it included G. Gordon Liddy's obituary.  APparently, as a youngster, his cat brought in a dead rat and he took it and ate it, just to prove he could.  No mention as to whether he cooked it first.  
    I prefer your tapioca pudding idea.  

The previous three sentences were, again, not anything I expected to write in this lifetime.  

When does an old joke become a "Dad" joke?  When it's apparent.