Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

1311312313314315317»

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,513
    Huli Huli chicken 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,089
    ColtsFan said:
    Huli Huli chicken 

Deets, please!  I've done Peri Peri Cheekun, but haven't heard of Huli Huli.  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,513
    @Botch
    4 lbs BLSL thighs
    1 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup soy sauce 
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup pineapple juice 
    1 TBL grated ginger 
    1 TBL grated garlic
    3 TBL ACV

Mix all together and let chill ~6 hours. I grill indirect around 400. Get some char by moving to the outside perimeter 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, Med BGE, BGE Chiminea, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,665
    The pedestrain huli-huli marinade- smother with Ceasar salad dressing overnight in a bag and then have at it-much simplier.  However, the Ceasar's version is all I have used so cannot compare.  
    And yes-The simple Ceasar's was frequently used in Hawaii a few decades ago.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    Round two on the sausage stuffed dates.  Getting closer to having these dialed in.

That plate looks incredible.  Love me stuffed dates.
    Recipe if allowed.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,659
    ColtsFan said:
    @Botch
    4 lbs BLSL thighs
    1 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup soy sauce 
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup pineapple juice 
    1 TBL grated ginger 
    1 TBL grated garlic
    3 TBL ACV

Mix all together and let chill ~6 hours. I grill indirect around 400. Get some char by moving to the outside perimeter 

I wonder how it would be with coconut sugar instead. I’m trying to adapt it to some of the family allergies. I would also have to use tamari sauce instead of regular soy sauce. But this is going into my recipe files.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,089
    ColtsFan said:
    @Botch
    4 lbs BLSL thighs
    1 cup brown sugar
    3/4 cup soy sauce 
    3/4 cup ketchup
    1/2 cup pineapple juice 
    1 TBL grated ginger 
    1 TBL grated garlic
    3 TBL ACV

Tan Que!  

So the same people that think humans have no effect on climate change, now are convinced they control the weather?  

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,648
    You guys are killing it.  Just got caught up on this thread! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 32,225
    lousubcap said:
    Round two on the sausage stuffed dates.  Getting closer to having these dialed in.

Recipe if allowed.  
    Followed this recipe for the red sauce to the letter:

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fnk/recipes/chorizo-stuffed-dates-wrapped-in-bacon-in-red-pepper-sauce-8003834

For the dates, I filet out two and use them both to kind of surround a meatball of sausage.  With the meatball I use half chorizo and half sweet Italian ground sausage.  I wrap that in a full slice of bacon.  Smoke indirect for about 45 min at 350, or until the bacon is crisp.  For the last 15 min I glaze the bacon with a honey-Sriracha mix.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • lousubcap said:

Recipe if allowed.  

https://www.foodnetwork.com/fnk/recipes/chorizo-stuffed-dates-wrapped-in-bacon-in-red-pepper-sauce-8003834

For the dates, I filet out two and use them both to kind of surround a meatball of sausage.  With the meatball I use half chorizo and half sweet Italian ground sausage.  I wrap that in a full slice of bacon.  Smoke indirect for about 45 min at 350, or until the bacon is crisp.  For the last 15 min I glaze the bacon with a honey-Sriracha mix.
    Thanks for sharing. My partner loves dates, meatballs and sriracha, so I can see this being a huge hit in my household. 

I can’t open the link at present. Is this an app or a main?

• lousubcap
    Link worked for me just now and @JohnInCarolina thanks for sending along.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    lousubcap said:

Recipe if allowed.  

Thanks for sharing. My partner loves dates, meatballs and sriracha, so I can see this being a huge hit in my household. 

I can’t open the link at present. Is this an app or a main?

I think it works best as an appetizer, but the wife and I didn't need much more than two of those each last night.  They're pretty filling. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,859
    edited October 13
    @Ozzie_Isaac @Thatgrimguy @paqman

Some stellar entries. Varied and yet equally enticing. 
  • @caliking

Both look great, but it is the garlic Parmesan calling my name just now. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    lemon pudding cakes

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,817
    lemon pudding cakes

Nothing more to say, but... deets, please!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    caliking said:
    lemon pudding cakes

These are easy as it gets:

https://www.onceuponachef.com/recipes/lemon-pudding-cakes.html

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,275
    caliking said:
    lemon pudding cakes

Funny how “as easy as it gets” changes the more you cook.  You are like Guga, “This appetizer is easy as it gets!”, then proceed to present an 87 step recipe with 14 unique kitchen gadgets and 3 different cooking devices 😂

That recipe you show is “simple” ingredients but intermediate for skills and technique.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• JohnInCarolina
    caliking said:
    lemon pudding cakes

Funny how “as easy as it gets” changes the more you cook.  You are like Guga, “This appetizer is easy as it gets!”, then proceed to present an 87 step recipe with 14 unique kitchen gadgets and 3 different cooking devices 😂

That recipe you show is “simple” ingredients but intermediate for skills and technique.
    Haha.  I guess I consider something easy if it turns out well the very first time I make it, and if I can make it within an hour.

But the steps here really aren’t all that difficult.  Probably the only thing that involved any real skill on my part is separating the egg yolks and whites.  
  • lousubcap
    Yes sir.  Beautiful finish on that beef.
    Uma for the win!
    https://youtu.be/HdKbOpuQyCQ. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,275
    caliking said:
    lemon pudding cakes

Haha.  I guess I consider something easy if it turns out well the very first time I make it, and if I can make it within an hour.

But the steps here really aren’t all that difficult.  Probably the only thing that involved any real skill on my part is separating the egg yolks and whites.  
    Meringue the first time can be intimidating.  Plus they leave out some of the key details.  Making sure you have no yolk in the white at all, what a soft peak is, what they mean by folding in, etc etc.  It is an easy recipe if you have some of the basic skills down.  Simple recipe with lots of areas to screw it up, will probably still taste great, but I could see it being frustrating.  Heck, even the melting butter can be done wrong, and under to much heat so it separates.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,676
    The Blairsville, Ga Sorghum festival Brussels sprouts with bacon crumbles

Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,817
    Foghorn said:
    My brother-in-law and his wife are visiting. Tomahawk for them, filets for me and my loving bride. With grilled zucchini and some pao de queijo that we picked up at the farmers market and warmed up for dinner. 

Perfection.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.