Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Few years ago our son (so did our S-I-L) refused to take a brand new Large from me, instead he bought a Weber gasser. He just bought a Traeger recently, sent me pic of his first ribs, TBH they look better than my first ribs from the egg  :) Blasphemy i know.

canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    Take credit for training him well regarding the cook, judgment rejecting a BGE not so fast!  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,802

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,321
    Game time grub 

Both items look just perfect.

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,716
    Great looking spread Mike😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Lots of apps and stuff being cooked.  Is Circket starting up again?

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    roasted corn and zucchini.  

That's a 14" long platter and 6" tongs, the zucchini was about 15" long and 5"-6" in diameter. A proper sized one :) 

Still trying to find the best way to do the corn.  Husk on gets good results, but is a PITA to get off the husks when the corn comes off at 400F. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,321
    @zaphod - For peeling cob corn, before or after cooking, hack off the stem end and peel towards the tip.  And roasted in the husk like you did it is the best method, by far
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 152
    Dyal_SC said:
    Simple wedge salad and salmon. 

beautiful, healthy, and delicious
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    dbCooper said:
    @zaphod - For peeling cob corn, before or after cooking, hack off the stem end and peel towards the tip.  And roasted in the husk like you did it is the best method, by far
    @dbCooper yep, we tried all sorts of ways last year, all with husk on and all with complaints about the difficulty of shucking 400F corn. Fair complaint on their part.  but we tried shucking the inner, shucking the outer. soaking first, soaking after, not soaking. read about (didn't try) coat the kernals with butter/mayo/... and then folding the husks back up. Tried tying the husk ends, not tying them.

all i remember was that last September we had it down pat and now we can't remember what that was. I need to start writing things down...
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754

Hurricane eats. Thick cut pork chops with venison sausage. Homemade cream potatoes. Baby peas and French bread 
  • shtgunal3
    ^^^stay safe brother^^^

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,754
    shtgunal3 said:
    ^^^stay safe brother^^^
    Thx, turned into a total nonevent on our end. The rain was a drizzle most of the day. Very little wind. The SE Part of the state didn’t fair so well. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Went to the Asian market this morning to get some ingredients I didn't have (including fermented black beans), to try out my new wok.  Every time I go there I try to buy something I've never eaten or even seen before, just to explore.  Today my eyes landed on a can of "Silk Worm Pupae".   :s  I decided the fermented black beans would count, for this trip.  
    They are fermented and come in a vacuum-sealed bag, are soft, and are shelf-stable.  I poured the bag into a mason jar and popped a couple in my mouth; very unique flavor with a funky slight bitterness, but salty!  I do remember reading they needed to be soaked in clean water before use, so I did that before cooking (and, PSA, they need more than ten minutes).  

Dish had 4 oz ground pork, a cut-up baby bok choi (that market has 8 of them in a bag for $0.99!), Fresno chilies, dried Japanese chilies (which I'd bought but forgot to add), the beans (you don't need many of them), rice noodles and the usual aromatic/sauce suspects.  This one's a keeper.  
    Mandy of the "Chinese Cooking Demystified" channel just put out this and 4, 5 other recipes using Bok Choi, if anyone's interested.  Byyyyeeee!!      

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @Botch looking good. Soaking washes off the flavour! Use sparingly and chop up the black beans for more even distribution, biting whole beans gives you the extra salty taste.
    canuckland
  • Botch
    @Botch looking good. Soaking washes off the flavour! Use sparingly and chop up the black beans for more even distribution, biting whole beans gives you the extra salty taste.
    Thanks for the tips, will give that a try tomorrow.  
    I'm amazed at how aromatic they were, I can still catch a whiff of them several hours later, even with a good range fan.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Double raw dogging some brats.  Gonna need a shot of penicillin afterwards!  No gasket and no thermo!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Getting color

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Oregano I occasionally put in enchiladas if I don’t have marjoram, but haven’t tried cinnamon, except in desert enchiladas.  Will have to try it next time.

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    Tuscan Bean Soup. Saw an ad for it this morning, and went for it. Preparing myself for an overwhelming amount of advertisements now from that site. 😆 It is very good though. 👍🏽

• johnmitchell
    Craig that looks so good. Healthy to boot!!
  • johnmitchell
    Nice Mike😋
  • shtgunal3
    King Salmon 

I’ve never really been a fan of grilled fish but that looks dam good

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    Nice @DoubleEgger and @zaphod … never would’ve thought about a pear boat!  

@johnmitchell , thx, made a lot for lunches. My body may go through fast food withdrawals this week. 
  • Botch
    zaphod said:
    ...something reminded me of a post about pears and a dollop of ice-cream (think it was @Ozzie_Isaac or @Botch, but I may be wrong).  Our pear tree has not had the best year for fruit, but I found a couple of reasonable size that seemed about ready, so I halved and scooped for 4 servings. 400F direct, face down for 4 or 5 and then face up for a couple more. Didn't really time. The charred edges were nicely caramelized bits. I think a bit of sherry or port would have topped it nicely, but dang good as is.
    Excellent job!  I've not tried pears, but I have grilled peaches every season; once face-up I pour a bit of Capt Morgan's Spiced Rum into the pit, and sprinkle with turbanado sugar.  Add a mint leaf with the ice cream.