Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    French omelette.

Since learning to cook these, my impression of the humble omelette is forever changed.  Texture, flavor, everything.  I never understood why people ate these.  This is one item that is significantly better at home when cooked properly. (Plus I can add decidedly unfrench salsa).

A good non-stick pan and good pan temp was a game changer for me.  I am embarrassed I have been serving overcooked tasteless omelette for decades.

We ate at a great little French breakfast joint in Anna Marie’s Island recently, wife got the cheese omelette 🤯
    Jacksonville FL
  • French omelette.

Since learning to cook these, my impression of the humble omelette is forever changed.  Texture, flavor, everything.  I never understood why people ate these.  This is one item that is significantly better at home when cooked properly. (Plus I can add decidedly unfrench salsa).

A good non-stick pan and good pan temp was a game changer for me.  I am embarrassed I have been serving overcooked tasteless omelette for decades.

Looks great, Ozzie, despite your bastardizations! 😉

I again find myself curious about your hardware. Is a non-stick pan a kitchen essential? I know they’re reportedly great for eggs, but I don’t have trouble with sticking with my CS or CI, provided I use fat and dial in the right temps. 
  • @caliking

Doneness looks on the money. Nice approach!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,716
    @caliking. Yes Sir!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @caliking Beautiful. btw, you need a laser engraved cutting board to match that knife  ;)
    canuckland
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    edited September 1
    French omelette.

Looks great, Ozzie, despite your bastardizations! 😉

I again find myself curious about your hardware. Is a non-stick pan a kitchen essential? I know they’re reportedly great for eggs, but I don’t have trouble with sticking with my CS or CI, provided I use fat and dial in the right temps. 
    I haven’t used a non-stick pan for years.  I had thrown them all out ages ago.  I used a stainless steel pan the first few omelettes I made.  They worked, but the outer texture of the omelette was off.  It was looked rough.  Like when fabric “pillows”.

i went to Marshalls (TJMaxx) and got an All Clad 10” HA1 non-stick pan.  I never use it over 300 deg and so far have only used it for eggs.  The omelette is so easy to roll and slide out.  The outer  texture/finish is perfect too.  It glistens and is smooth.

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    @caliking - Love lamb and that outcome is a thing of beauty.  Nailed the finish temp.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,346
    @caliking Beautiful. btw, you need a laser engraved cutting board to match that knife  ;)
    @caliking,

I happen to know a guy who can laser engrave a cutting board. ;)
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    CTMike said:
    @caliking,

I happen to know a guy who can laser engrave a cutting board. ;)
    Ha! You beat me to it :)

@Canugghead I was about to post that I ordered a beautiful end grain board from @CTMike, and he very thoughtfully took it up a notch. Honestly, I have only used it for "display" purposes (e.g. charcuterie, or cheese boards) because I'm afraid to cut on it.

It is indeed a beautiful piece, Mike. Thank you, again. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,794
    @GrateEggspectations and @lousubcap - giving credit where it is due:
    https://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/rack-of-lamb-garlic-mustard-panko-crust

I SV'ed at 132F this time, and thought it was better than previous attempts. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    Family style steak and shake here. 

• lousubcap
    @Dyal_SC That is a great steak and finish right there.  Congrats.
    Too old to offer any shake insights other than if chocolate is involved a winner.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Dyal_SC
    lousubcap said:
    Too old to offer any shake insights other than if chocolate is involved a winner.  
    @lousubcap , for the shake, the trick to make it creamy is adding raw eggs.  I used tillamook chocolate ice cream and some sort of Publix limited edition chocolate ice cream with Oreo chunks. Some milk up about half way up the ice cream, along with the egg.  Little extra chocolate sauce. Stick blender. 😋 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,604
    Dyal_SC said:
    lousubcap said:
    @lousubcap , for the shake, the trick to make it creamy is adding raw eggs.  I used tillamook chocolate ice cream and some sort of Publix limited edition chocolate ice cream with Oreo chunks. Some milk up about half way up the ice cream, along with the egg.  Little extra chocolate sauce. Stick blender. 😋 
    As it happens I bought Tillamook Marionberry icecream tonight. I almost bought the Malted Moo but I decided otherwise.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,346
    Dyal_SC said:
    lousubcap said:
    Small world - my ex-uncle (he divorced my dad’s sister some time ago) owned a dairy farm and sold all of his milk to Tillamook. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • @Dyal_SC

Way to Dyal it in!
    Even I rolled my eyes.
  • Dyal_SC
    CTMike said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    lousubcap said:
    Small world - my ex-uncle (he divorced my dad’s sister some time ago) owned a dairy farm and sold all of his milk to Tillamook. 
    Tillamook makes incredible cheese and ice cream. He must have some high quality cows!
  • Dyal_SC
    @Dyal_SC

Way to Dyal it in!
    Even I rolled my eyes.
    I thought it was a grate joke. 🙄 😆 
  • Dyal_SC
    Yard work and baby backs coming along. 

• Dyal_SC
    Actually pretty sure those were spares. They sold them as baby backs.  Either way, pretty solid. 

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 738
    edited September 2
    great lookin food on the page so far. 

happy labor day, the official first day of “enjoyable” grilling season in georgia 

bogo hormel pork tenderloins. peppercorn one grilled as is and unflavored one added meat church holy cow. 

playlist was “jerry jeff walker radio”
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,970
    Dyal_SC said:
    @Dyal_SC

Way to Dyal it in!
    Even I rolled my eyes.
    I thought it was a grate joke. 🙄 😆 
    Tell me you’re a Dad… without telling me you’re a Dad.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • zaphod
    zaphod Posts: 181
    when is a joke a Dad joke? When it is apparent. 
    ~~
    Walk softly, leave a good impression.
    large BGE, vegegrilltarian
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,970
    zaphod said:
    when is a joke a Dad joke? When it is apparent. 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Sandwiches with a side of ghost pepper, courtesy of neighbour. 

• lousubcap
    If your neighbour (nod) is serving up ghost peppers then you have a special bond right there. 
    I'm sure all enjoyed but the ghost may be a gourmet experience best saved for later years with your children.