Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 773
    +1 for the spare. First in first out. Once one is empty put it in the most annoying place ever to where I have to step over it until I get it filled
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    ^^^ I disliked. Learned my lesson back in my gasser only days. I now have three full tanks on standby, mainly use propane for pizza oven but primary reason is the dual fuel generator for emergency. Unlike gasoline, propane keeps almost 'forever'.
    Fully agree.   My buddy works for AmeriGas and he has previously offered me a couple spare tanks—think I’ll take him up on that now.  
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Botch said:
     Nothing.  Bought Italian subs from Portillos and some blizzards from DQ.
    Portillos is in AZ now?!?!   Ooh ooh ooh, fingers crossed!  
    Yup!  One in Tucson and 2 in Phoenix 

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    edited August 18
    Speaking of propane tanks....

I brought my propane tanks in to get refilled the other day and the propane employee told me to remove the company advertisement wraps from them. He said the wrap collects moisture and will cause rust around the propane tanks. He said the tanks will last longer and be easier to recertify for the future. The employee showed me a few examples of rusted out tanks where the people left the company wraps on them. That never even crossed my mind as being an issue. It probably doesn't make much of a difference if you swap/exchange propane tanks but for those who bring them in to get refilled it might be worth removing the company wraps on them. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,970
    Getting a beer bath together for some APL brats:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @WeberWho Learned something new, so it's kind of like the vinyl caps on the nest prongs I guess. Not sure if I want to remove the wrap though, I always thought (could be wrong) the wraps are proof of recertification. All my tanks are kept dry in an enclosed shed so I'll take my chances  :)
    canuckland
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    Made a charcuterie board for the family. I ate my calories in Publix key lime pie frozen yogurt. Has graham cracker crust crumbs mixed in. Almost couldn’t stop. 😞 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    @WeberWho Learned something new, so it's kind of like the vinyl caps on the nest prongs I guess. Not sure if I want to remove the wrap though, I always thought (could be wrong) the wraps are proof of recertification. All my tanks are kept dry in an enclosed shed so I'll take my chances  :)
    Remember that the can cools as the gas boils off and is burned, which is why you can see the gas level after pouring water down the side.  If there's condensation on the top from that cooling, it could sneak down the plastic and get trapped (can't evaporate) hence the rust possibility...  (I'm just spitballing here).  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• WeberWho

Typically any need to know details on the tank itself are stickers and the date I think might be engraved on it. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,122
    Chef’n vegetable stew

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    edited August 18
    It has been a long time since I did a cook using a Meater probe that the battery went dead. I usually remove batteries from unused devices but not this time. Now I am told the battery in the probe is not fully charged. Guess I am going to continue old school on this Brisket. 16.375 lbs of prime meat riding at 200 degrees F for now.
    It just barely fits in the Large. Started early, hoping to pull it off at 4:30 to let it rest for an hour. Friend Navy Submariner will be flying in Monday morning. Invited my egging neighbor and his wife. Will probably send some of it home with them, if the cook goes as planned. Need to take my best knife to neighbor for sharpening. That is a lot of meat to cut thru.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • SamIAm2 said:
    It has been a long time since I did a cook using a Meater probe that the battery went dead. I usually remove batteries from unused devices but not this time. Now I am told the battery in the probe is not fully charged. Guess I am going to continue old school on this Brisket. 16.375 lbs of prime meat riding at 200 degrees F for now.
    It just barely fits in the Large. Started early, hoping to pull it off at 4:30 to let it rest for an hour. Friend Navy Submariner will be flying in Monday morning. Invited my egging neighbor and his wife. Will probably send some of it home with them, if the cook goes as planned. Need to take my best knife to neighbor for sharpening. That is a lot of meat to cut thru.
    Looks amazing. A treat for all. 

What is this poppycock about leaving your knife with a neighbour to sharpen?
  • Canugghead
    @Botch great point re condensation on propane tank. Touch wood, I don't recall ever seeing rust on tank barrel.
    @WeberWho I know the original expiry date is engraved on the tank. Don't recall seeing a sticker, I should take a closer look, perhaps the new expiry date is engraved as well.
    canuckland
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    SamIAm2 said:
    Looking great.    Don’t fret the MEATER.   I had similar issues.   Put it in boiling water then scoured the crap out of it.   Back in the charging box and it’s alive again.  As big of a chunk you’d is, you’ll be able to have the probe in it with hours left on the cook.   Mach Schnell
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,129
    As lazy as it gets…

Lazy as it gets is DoorDashin Cracker Barrel.  Those look phenomenal!  It is not as easy as to make a short stack like that!
    Love the pan!
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,321
    I think @JohnInCarolina brats would pair nicely with @Ozzie_Isaac vegetable stew.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • WeberWho
    @Botch great point re condensation on propane tank. Touch wood, I don't recall ever seeing rust on tank barrel.
    @WeberWho I know the original expiry date is engraved on the tank. Don't recall seeing a sticker, I should take a closer look, perhaps the new expiry date is engraved as well.

It might be different in Canada but you add 12 years to the expiration before it needs to be inspected. It can be rectified for another 5 years after that. 

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,477
    While a few posts back, buy two of your initial consumable. Once one goes dark restock and you will always be ready to go.  
    Initial expense double, but after that, no worries.  
    Works well with shaving cream, toothpaste... =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Damn, power just went out, during a game between two of my favorite teams!
    And you all probably won't be able to see this whine.  (7:31 pm timestamp).  

EDIT:  (mebbe not a real edit).  Power just came back on, 7:44 pm; that wasn't too bad, won't have to throw anything out.  

• Botch
    lousubcap said:
    While a few posts back, buy two of your initial consumable. Once one goes dark restock and you will always be ready to go.  
    Back in college I learned to do this, but 4 layers deep; I was flush with cash the end of the summer, but ran out in late fall or so, having a quad-redundancy helped me several times.  

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,970
    Ugly, but tasty.  Peach cobbler.  Had some peaches starting to over ripen.

Peach cobbler plus a scoop of vanilla ice cream, there aren’t too many better things.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Canugghead
    lousubcap said:
    Similar idea but going off at a tangent > Whenever we buy a new vehicle my MO is buy a set of winter tires mounted on its own steel rims before the first snow ... handles better in the snow, qualifies for insurance rate reduction, reduces wear on so called all season tires and alloy rims that came with the vehicle, and the peace of mind. Gravy on top if it helps to escape just one fender bender. 
    canuckland
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,944
    Just pulled the brisket off the large egg and put it in this container, put the lid on, stuffed the cooler with large towels, and closed it tight.

Had an issue with the meter early in the evening, replaced the battery, and had to restart so the time is not correct. Put the brisket in the egg at 7:00 pm so the cook took four hours longer than the graph shows. Hope the temp will rise to 203 degrees while the brisket rests 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • @SamIAm2

That pic is making me hungry. 😋 
  • Canugghead
    WeberWho said:

It might be different in Canada but you add 12 years to the expiration before it needs to be inspected. It can be rectified for another 5 years after that. 
    Up here even brand new tank is good for 10 years only, so recert is probably good for another 10. Took another quick look at a couple of my recert tanks and can't find any indication of new expiry date. Practically no one bothers with getting a tank recertified, hard to find a place that does that and probably costs about the same as swapping for a filled recert tank at gas station, grocery or big box place. Cheaper to refill at Costco though. I do the swap only when a tank has reached EOL and Costco is not allowed to refill by law.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    recert is just a sticker last time i had it done. just a visual once over and the guy peeled a sticker off another tank =) that guy is now retired so things may have changed
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it