Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 459
    @Florida Grillin Girl”  my pleasure!  The gratin is based on two Ina Garten recipes. I adjust/modify depending upon the availability of seafood and diner’s preferences. I always have the stock in my freezer, as well as portions of the carrot/leek sauté. I’ve also substituted puff pastry or Pate Brisee for the crumb topping.  The gratin is easily portioned to individual or family sized vessels. It can also be assembled and refrigerated a few hours before baking.  I love the convenience of advance dinner preparation especially when entertaining!

Let us know if you make this. With your skills and proximity  to stellar seafood it’s guaranteed to be a culinary success!

IL 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    edited January 21
    When @Canugghead says "SWBO... Maybe we should have a light, simple,  lunch today..." 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    @LetsEat that looks fabulous.

Bookmarked/stolen/Raichlened 😁

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Tried my hand at chilaquiles this morning. Not too bad. 
    Yes sir!    Love a good plate of chilaquiles.   Looks great
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,978

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thank you @LetsEat
    I am a huge Ina fan, watch her shows, but don't have the cookbooks.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 459
    @caliking, thank you for your kind words. I hope that you enjoy the gratin as much as my family and guests do!

@Florida Grillin Girl, my mom was a huge Ina Garten fan with an extensive cookbook collection. As my siblings don’t cook, I inherited her culinary library. It’s fun to page through the books and see mom’s notes. As years go by, I’ve added my own notes and observations.  

Lastly, here are a few additional personal variations.  

The seafood stock makes an excellent fish soup/stew base. Just add your favorite seafood, garnish with a drizzle of olive oil, fresh herbs and a garlic rubbed artisan bread crouton.

The completed saffron cream sauce makes an excellent base for an Amuse-bouche that works well for a sit down dinner or passed hors d’oeuvres at a cocktail party.  I like to serve it in a crystal shot glass with a small shrimp or scallop and an herb garnish. It also presents  nicely in a Chinese soup spoon. Place the sauce in the spoon and top with the fish and herb garnish. 

The sautéed leeks and carrots are the perfect filler for quiches. I’ve made petite for an Amuse-bouche and full size for a brunch.
    IL 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @lousubcap beats their pork cousins every time for sure :wink: and love how you slice right next to the bone.
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,487
    @Cstorm - Great cook and bark.
    As you are aware- unless specified, the cook temps here reference the BGE dome thermo as every cooker has one.
    This Q cooking adventure is definitely analog in terms of accuracy (excepting the quick read output for hot and fast cook finish temps).  So get your BGE dome temperature stable ( 45-60 minutes +/- 5-10*F ) somewhere in the 240-280*F range for low and slow and then let it run.  Don't chase the temperature as you will never get it right.  Yes, if stable at 250*F when loading the protein it will climb as the meat cooks but you can either let it ride or minimally close the lower vent .  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• Buckwoody Egger
    Buckwoody Egger Posts: 739
    edited January 27
    Baaaaaaad chicken 

Mess you up!

• TechsasJim
    Game 1 done for the W.   Waiting on game 2 for a hopeful $ parlay.   

Oh and wings are on the egg.    

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,126

How you come out on top with the bets!  Those golf clubs don’t buy themselves!

It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. - Captain Jean-Luc Packard

• TechsasJim

How you come out on top with the bets!  Those golf clubs don’t buy themselves!
    lmao, no kidding!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,487
    @danhoo - beautiful finish on that tri-tip. Sweet.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.