Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Options

Comments

• danhoo
    danhoo Posts: 689
    edited February 1
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @danhoo - beautiful finish on that tri-tip. Sweet.
    Thanks, It had an hour long rest during the 4th quarter. 
    current: | Large BGE |  Genesis 1000 | Genesis E330 | 22 inch Kettle | Weber Summit Kamado
    sold:| PitBoss pro 820  WSM 22 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,517
    Options
    Way to source from Oak Barn.  Those look great. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • FrostyEgg
    FrostyEgg Posts: 584
    Options
    Thanks for the reminder I need to do some beef ribs asap! IMO there is no better smoked meat cut.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,733
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Doc said I was PHAT this morning. I didn’t realize that was still a saying in 2024. No way he could’ve meant fat. 

Tonight’s fried poke chops to celebrate such a great compliment. 😜

That'll show him! 

Fried poke chops scream to be smothered in gravy. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,795
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sausage (tandooriwurst)  from a freezer dive, with peppers and onions. Didn't suck.

Nice Sausages!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,593
    Options
    @caliking. That looks fantastic. Love sausages 😋
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Creative rig right there.  Sweet $$ shot. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,795
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sausage (tandooriwurst)  from a freezer dive, with peppers and onions. Didn't suck.

Nice Sausages!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • caliking
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Picanha in the traditional style.

Nice cook, but those skewers are brilliant. Perfect for vertical roasting in the BGE. Did you buy those, or have them custom made?

Re: an arrestor thingamajig, a couple of turns of  wire would do the trick. But... a small potato at the end would be moar delicious! When I'd do tandoori chicken in the tandoor, those potatoes at the end of the skewer would be fought over. 

And, a very happy birthday to your obviously better half.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,593
    edited February 4
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    Picanha in the traditional style.

One fell off on to the grate,  so learning point for next time is to add an arrester devise to the bottom of the skewer.
    Lots of coarse salt and little SPG. 
    The one in the image stayed not he skewer and the texture was remarkably different.

First attempt at salmon on a plank scheduled for tomorrow as it is SWMBO's birthday. 
    Happy birthday to your swmbo.

Great cook and love the skewers, did you buy it or hack it out of a regular V shaped one? I'm thinking of splitting the end with an angle grinder cutting wheel and bending to form the T handle. I may try one for tandoori.

Also agree with using potato (or onion) at the bottom, a stainless steel cotter pin should work well as an arrestor.
    canuckland
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,877
    edited February 5
    Options
    @caliking
    @Canugghead  

Here's where the skewers are from https://pitbarrelcooker.com/collections/hanging-accessories 

They were a gift from SWMBO as we plan to do tandoori chicken pieces soon.  She also got me the long flexible wire skewers for some Chermoula marinated vegetables last Summer.

Will try various arresting methods and update you in due course.  👍 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Botch said:
    Cold, rainy & miserable day today, then Chef John gives me a recipe for Caldo Verde!

Pretty simple soup; onion, garlic, sausage, thin-sliced russets and chopped kale, bone broth and salt (I did add black pepper too).  Cook it until the potatoes break down and thicken.  It's Portuguese, supposed to have Linguiça but none at the market so used mild Italian sausage instead.  Perfect for a cold February day.            Grew up with that soup, broth from pork bones, my nana added   yellow eye beans or northern whites. Always served with scali bread and butter.... 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • caliking
    Options
    That looks so inviting @Botch. Very nice.
    CPFC1905 said:
    @caliking
    @Canugghead  

Here's where the skewers are from https://pitbarrelcooker.com/collections/hanging-accessories 

They were a gift from SWMBO as we plan to do tandoori chicken pieces soon.  She also got me the long flexible wire skewers for some Chermoula marinated vegetables last Summer.

Will try various arresting methods and update you in due course.  👍 
    Thanks for the link. I have 4' skewers for the tandoor, but they are cumbersome for down-the-top-vent BGE cooking. I'll look into these. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    That bowl is dead sexy, @botch. I always enjoy your cooks, but this one is special. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Your in-laws rock and that is a consistent theme.  Looks fantastic.
    I'm too old to be shopping for in-law trade.   B)
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,055
    Options
    I would post this on a stand-alone, but it would feel disingenuous given my minimal contribution. Delivered by in-laws for us to heat here. 

That looks great, but your logic confuses me.  Why would it feel disingenuous in a stand-alone but not a “what are YOU cheffing now” thread?   
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,196
    Options

They are not kidding about that warning.  About 25 years ago I put a few into a toaster oven and they melted, poured on the heating element, and caught on fire.  Almost burned an apartment complex down.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CPFC1905 - dang-great cook and presentation.  Screen licking material right there.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    You make pretty pies, @Canugghead. Rather spectacular. Love the colours popping in photo #1.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options

They are not kidding about that warning.  About 25 years ago I put a few into a toaster oven and they melted, poured on the heating element, and caught on fire.  Almost burned an apartment complex down.
    TIL taco shells melt. Sounds like a very close call. 
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,593
    Options
    You make pretty pies, @Canugghead. Rather spectacular. Love the colours popping in photo #1.
    Thanks. The one touch edit function enhanced the pic :blush:
    canuckland