Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,484
    @Eggpharmer - looks great and the jalas take it over the top. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Last night's dinner, quickie wangs and taters from baby pellet pooper, squash from kitchen clock.

Beautiful plate, as always. Curious as to why you did the squash in the oven while you did potatoes on the smoker. Different cooking temps, or just after different flavour profiles? 

A B-I-L of mine, who has a KJ along with many other grills and is a great cook (best turkey I’ve had, regardless of how he cooks it) bought a Coleman pellet smoker for like $400 instead of $900 or some deep discount like that. He swears by it. Has been trying to get me to get one. 
  • Wooderson said:

Liquid gold this fall afternoon
    What cut off meat is that and for stock or like pho?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    Last night's dinner, quickie wangs and taters from baby pellet pooper, squash from kitchen clock.

Beautiful plate, as always. Curious as to why you did the squash in the oven while you did potatoes on the smoker. Different cooking temps, or just after different flavour profiles? 

A B-I-L of mine, who has a KJ along with many other grills and is a great cook (best turkey I’ve had, regardless of how he cooks it) bought a Coleman pellet smoker for like $400 instead of $900 or some deep discount like that. He swears by it. Has been trying to get me to get one. 
    The Traeger Ranger grid is only 16x11.5", it was filled with wings. I have a DIY second deck and it was occupied by taters. My wife made the squash. The little guy reached 350 in just over five minutes, wings took 15m, flipped and another 12m, done. Taters (pre nuked for 10m) was done at same time. It's much easier/faster than firing up the big Traeger.

I wonder if your B-I-L got it from wally world. At the beginning of this summer our local wally had about 4-6 of these at $798.

I think they sold just one or two all summer, dropped the price to $400 and still no takers, next thing I heard they went down to $249 and all gone in no time. In fact, according to stocktrack they dropped to $98 and all gone super quick of course.
    canuckland
  • @Canugghead

A smoking deal at $98 - pun intended!

No, I think this is the one B-I-L purchased, but paid way less than the $920 listed here. He loves it!

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/coleman-cookout-wood-pellet-grill-smoker-with-digital-controls-0853189p.0853189.html

The real estate consideration for the vegetables escaped me, but I should have known, given you often have a lot of items and host a big group - or perhaps a small group of very hungry/motivated people. 🙂
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 370
    Wooderson said:

Liquid gold this fall afternoon
    What cut off meat is that and for stock or like pho?
    We bought a half of beef and i told the butcher that we wanted the fat so we could render it.   It's rendered beef tallow to use instead of butter, veg oil or any seed oils that one may use for cooking. This is the finished product

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,802
    @Canugghead as you may recall I also have a Ranger. Would you mind sharing a pic and details on your DIY second level grid?

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Canugghead
    shtgunal3 said:
    @Canugghead as you may recall I also have a Ranger. Would you mind sharing a pic and details on your DIY second level grid?
    I salvaged a hefty 9mm stainless grid from a retired Weber gasser and trimmed it with an angle grinder to fit the Ranger, and use it as the main grid. The upper deck is the original stock grid elevated by three upside down round headed bolts secured with washers and nuts. The round heads sit nicely on the lower grid and easy to lift off as needed. 

The bottom washer is notched so it butts against the edge and spine for better stability. Three legs give you better balancing. My bolts are too long, that's why I have to move the right front leg back a tad so it doesn't interfere with the lid closing.

canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    @Canugghead I am not surprised that I am impressed by your ATD for a mod like this.  

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    Great work with that mod right there.  Another DIY that improves the product.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,802
    Awesome @Canugghead thanks for the pics

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• lousubcap
    $$ shot says it all.  Nailed those steaks!
  • @JohnInCarolina

Looks great. Pizza oven? Do you just brown the exterior at high heat and then dial it way down until desired IT?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    Costco NY strips

First Costco near me opens in about a month.....damn that looks good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @fishlessman are you near Scarborough I assume? We just finished up our work at that location last week. 
    Snellville, GA

• @JohnInCarolina

Looks great. Pizza oven? Do you just brown the exterior at high heat and then dial it way down until desired IT?
    Yes this was in the Roccbox.  I just kept them in there at high heat until I got to my desired IT.  

These were pretty good but I definitely prefer the reverse sear.  I was just a bit lazy last night.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @JohnInCarolina

Yes this was in the Roccbox.  I just kept them in there at high heat until I got to my desired IT.  

These were pretty good but I definitely prefer the reverse sear.  I was just a bit lazy last night.
    I’ll have to try that with the Geek Chef that @canugghead egged me on to buy. 

Does it make a mess inside the oven?
  • @JohnInCarolina

I’ll have to try that with the Geek Chef that @canugghead egged me on to buy. 

Does it make a mess inside the oven?
    Not at all.  They’re cooked inside a cast iron pan, so none of the protein ever really comes into contact with the floor of the oven.
  • Canugghead
    edited October 2023
    @WeberWho
    Change it, it's a family forum  =)
    canuckland
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,208
    WeberWho said:
    I had leftover smoked chicken breasts from the other day that needed to used up. So I fired up the Blackstone. Sauteed some mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, and green peppers. I dicked up the chicken breast and melted some pepper jack cheese over it. Quick easy meal. 

dicked up the breast  =)

Hahahahah!!!! Thanks phone autocorrect! It has to stayed dicked now even if I do have time to go and change it. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Canugghead
    Paging @WeberWho ^^^

canuckland
  • WeberWho said:
    WeberWho said:
    I had leftover smoked chicken breasts from the other day that needed to used up. So I fired up the Blackstone. Sauteed some mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, and green peppers. I dicked up the chicken breast and melted some pepper jack cheese over it. Quick easy meal. 

dicked up the breast  =)

Hahahahah!!!! Thanks phone autocorrect! It has to stayed dicked now even if I do have time to go and change it. 

For what it’s worth, you **** up chicken like a man half your age… ;)