Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Are You Chef-ing Tonight, Dr?

Comments

• TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 2,172
    Basic rack of babies

LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • never going to roll these again....

Never seen pig ears cooked that way but looks good
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    never going to roll these again....

Never seen pig ears cooked that way but looks good
    Never thought to make enchalladas with pig ears....interesting
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,484
    @GrateEggspectations - pork belly for the win cooked in any fashion. Looks great.  No comment on plating or food styling as that skill set is way outside my league. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @GrateEggspectations Glad you recovered from pork belly coma, waited all evening after seeing the teaser slabs yesterday. Quietest Thanksgiving here, postponed to next week due to back to back colds ;(

I'm a quarter decent photo guy, if there's one thing I hope you wouldn't mind me saying it's the shadow, try moving away a bit to eliminate it and zoom in to recompose, rotate the plate if needed :) OTOH I suspect you took the photos in big rush, so your guests wouldn't notice and think you're weird?
    canuckland
  • Ybabpmuts
    Ybabpmuts Posts: 962
    edited October 2023
    My sister Beulah dated a quarter decent photo guy. At first there were pictures of her face in deep shadows,  but the next thing you know he zoomed in, and it was Beulah  boobapalooza from there on out. I looked at maybe fourteen of them before I thought , it just didn't seem rigt
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,796
    Good eats, @GrateEggspectations !

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • @Canugghead

Sorry to hear about your Thanksgiving being postponed. Guess it’s better than you all sharing germs. I’m sure you’ll be putting on quite the meal. What are you planning? I have visions of eight different mains, or something like that. 

Yes; was trying to take very quick covert shots, so this was the best I could muster while snapping pics in a dark corner of my kitchen. Had the lights dimmed whilst trying to avoid detection. 🙃

@lousubcap @caliking

Thanks Frank, Ashish. Recipe was great, though the cook times were wildly understated.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,945
    @GrateEggspectations brace yourself for disappointment.
    canuckland
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,597
    edited October 2023

Edit: Deer heart. Most kids ate it up. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Two back-to-back cold fronts, yesterday and today, with rain today thru part of tomorrow.  Perfect time to make my Mom's 'murican Goulash!  Just browned meat, macaroni, chili powder, onions/garlic, seasonings and tomato juice to saturate; bake until bubbly.  Gradeschool Comfort Food.  
    A couple months ago I posted my first attempt at bagels/novalox/cream cheese (update in a few days) and while smoking the salmon I threw in a block of white cheese that had been opened, wasn't sure if it was jack or lo-moisture mozz (should've tasted it before smoking it).  I understand you're supposed to wrap smoked cheese and let it "mellow" before consuming, I threw it into the freezer two months ago.  Thought that either smoked jack or mozz, whatever I had, would be good mixed in with Mom's goulash, so thawed it out overnight.

Whooo-wee, did someone say it would "mellow"???  This stuff was more pungent than Taleggio!  Just unwrapping the Saran Wrap it about knocked me onto my butt, grating and mixing it into the goulash it got even more fragrant, not to mention baking in the oven.  It tasted okay but when I got the mail I noticed a few dead birds in the yard, and now I've had to draw the curtains and kill the lights, there's a bunch of unmarked dark vans driving slowly thru the neighborhood.  This stuff is pungent!  

I only filled my Smoke'n tube about halfway (about a 2-hour smoke), and the salmon/novalox tasted perfect; why did the cheese get so strong?  Do you guys who smoke cheese note such an onerous olfactory offense?  How long do you normally smoke your cheese?  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,224
    @Botch , I am not an expert, so I could be wrong, but I would imagine by placing the cheese in the freezer, the initial pungent smoke stayed intact near the surface instead of soaking in and mellowing out in the fridge. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,998
    Hmm, that makes sense.  Will have to try something different on this upcoming smoke.  

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Dyal_SC
    Looks good sliced @kl8ton .  I’ve always been too afraid to try it. Something about slicing a heart and seeing the valves sets me back though. Lol  Does it have a liver type of taste and texture?
  • kl8ton
    Dyal_SC said:
    Looks good sliced @kl8ton .  I’ve always been too afraid to try it. Something about slicing a heart and seeing the valves sets me back though. Lol  Does it have a liver type of taste and texture?
    Oh I didn't try it!  🤣 Can't get past it mentally.  A friend brought it over for one of my boys to try. This 12 year old boy will eat anything. Started developing a reputation. Live bait minnows, pig eye at a pig roast, etc. My friend told me to slice it and fry in butter with salt and pepper and garlic. Cook to medium rareish    So...full disclosure...I ate none. I'll barely eat any part of a deer. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • @kl8ton

What was his review of the pig eye? Did he chew, or swallow it whole, like an oyster? I like to think I’m an adventurous eater and haven’t yet refused anything I’ve encountered, but pig eye would certainly present a good challenge. 
  • Dyal_SC
    @kl8ton , it is timely you posted the deer heart. I follow Lucas Black (the ncis actor dude) on social media. He hunts, fishes and grills a lot with his kids. He posted a cook recently with the deer heart. I know it’s just a muscle like all the rest, but nu uh. 
  • kl8ton
    @kl8ton

What was his review of the pig eye? Did he chew, or swallow it whole, like an oyster? I like to think I’m an adventurous eater and haven’t yet refused anything I’ve encountered, but pig eye would certainly present a good challenge. 
    I wasn't there. I'll have to ask. It was during our church group camping trip last year. I'll keep you posted after I ask. I was there for the minnow. 
    Grand Rapids MI
  • caliking
    I surmise that pig eye would be pretty darn good… it’s mainly fat 😀 The muscles around the eyes are right delicious. 

Heart is lean muscle, so also delicious, unless cooked like a Trump steak. 

• Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,592
    Dyal_SC said:
    Heavily seasoned lemon pepper spatchcock chicken tonight roasted in the CI skillet. Roasted potatoes and green beans to go with. Removed most of the bones on the underside beforehand, including the breast plate and part of the thigh bones in order to get more flavor in there. It was a big 7+lb bird. 

I have to say, this looks amazing.
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • Dyal_SC
    edited October 2023
    Looks amazing as usual @caliking ! What’s that on the side?
  • caliking
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks! Its some kind of skinny green eggplant from the garden. EVOO, balsamic, S&P, then roasted in the big clock in the kitchen.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    caliking said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Thanks! Its some kind of skinny green eggplant from the garden. EVOO, balsamic, S&P, then roasted in the big clock in the kitchen.

been seeing those skinny eggplants in the asian section, must be 4 or 5 kinds. i think those would be thai. i know they are between the golf ball ones and the rainbow colored ones. until covid there was just the big purple italian ones...
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it