Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,446
    lousubcap said:
    Went to a Mercedes dealership in the DFW area this weekend with a buddy who was buying his wife a new car. They had this in the show room.  My jaw hit the floor when I saw the sticker.  It’s an invitation only kind of purchase.   It was so jacked up I’m not sure if I could climb into it. lol
    There's a line of those at my kids school every morning. I don't even notice anymore cause they are like suburbans out here. You know it's crazy when the guy driving the $70k Lexus looks like he's slumming it. The only "exotics" I tend to notice nowadays are classic cars. 
    Talk about the challenge of "keeping up with the Joneses" from a few years back.  Sad your self-esteem is measured in large part by the ride your kid takes to school prior to the license.  And once he/she can drive-WDIB rolls in.  (Whose Richard is bigger.)  No wonder we have the dominant "It's all about I/me" rolling thru society today. 
    Im not saying this because of some low self
    esteem issue. I'm doing fine financially but I don't even try to "keep up with the joneses" out here. Id have to be a low end millionaire just to scratch the surface. My wife and I both have to work. 

The car situation is the result of the fact that I live in the wealthiest county in Texas. That's all 95% of the people out here do is compete for who has the most wealth, It's their Hobby. 

That was my point, I'm sitting in what most would deem to be a very nice car and I look like im parking my dented KIA Rio at Walmart. There are 16 year old kids out here with brand new Corvettes and Platinum F-250s or Range Rovers. Maybe I misunderstood your reply but it ain't me with the self esteem issues it’s these 1%ers that I live around.
    You live in the wealthiest county in TX but still at the bottom of the totem pole still, got to suck. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • GlennM
    GlennM Posts: 1,395
    edited October 2023
    kl8ton said:
    Reverse image search says 

KARMA REVERO

Naples Motor Sports - I’ve been there!  They have a huge inventory of exotics (Ferrari, Rolls, Bentley, Lamborghini ,etc
    In the bush just East of Cambridge,Ontario 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,012
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:
    Went to a Mercedes dealership in the DFW area this weekend with a buddy who was buying his wife a new car. They had this in the show room.  My jaw hit the floor when I saw the sticker.  It’s an invitation only kind of purchase.   It was so jacked up I’m not sure if I could climb into it. lol
    There's a line of those at my kids school every morning. I don't even notice anymore cause they are like suburbans out here. You know it's crazy when the guy driving the $70k Lexus looks like he's slumming it. The only "exotics" I tend to notice nowadays are classic cars. 
    Talk about the challenge of "keeping up with the Joneses" from a few years back.  Sad your self-esteem is measured in large part by the ride your kid takes to school prior to the license.  And once he/she can drive-WDIB rolls in.  (Whose Richard is bigger.)  No wonder we have the dominant "It's all about I/me" rolling thru society today. 
    esteem issue. I'm doing fine financially but I don't even try to "keep up with the joneses" out here. Id have to be a low end millionaire just to scratch the surface. My wife and I both have to work. 

The car situation is the result of the fact that I live in the wealthiest county in Texas. That's all 95% of the people out here do is compete for who has the most wealth, It's their Hobby. 

That was my point, I'm sitting in what most would deem to be a very nice car and I look like im parking my dented KIA Rio at Walmart. There are 16 year old kids out here with brand new Corvettes and Platinum F-250s or Range Rovers. Maybe I misunderstood your reply but it ain't me with the self esteem issues it’s these 1%ers that I live around.
    You live in the wealthiest county in TX but still at the bottom of the totem pole still, got to suck. 
    I can't speak for my Texas colleague in terms of his net worth or self esteem but I will mention that if you read "The Millionaire Next Door" you'll learn that many (most) people have relatively little net worth precisely because they put it all into their house and their car(s).  As he suggested, it is the people who significantly undermine their net worth in order to look rich that really have the self esteem issues.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

I can't speak for my Texas colleague in terms of his net worth or self esteem but I will mention that if you read "The Millionaire Next Door" you'll learn that many (most) people have relatively little net worth precisely because they put it all into their house and their car(s).  As he suggested, it is the people who significantly undermine their net worth in order to look rich that really have the self esteem issues.
    Buy things they can’t afford to impress people they don’t even like with money they don’t have.   At least I like to think that lol.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,137
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

Buy things they can’t afford to impress people they don’t even like with money they don’t have.   At least I like to think that lol.
    Tik-Tok, Facebook, MySpace, etc are all designed to drive consumerism and "keeping up with the Joneses".  I only use Facebook for business and Rodeo stuff.  Don't do Tik-Tok etc. I think a lot of the issues society has today is loss of community and real friends.  Everyone has 1,000 fake social media friends.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

Tik-Tok, Facebook, MySpace, etc are all designed to drive consumerism and "keeping up with the Joneses".  I only use Facebook for business and Rodeo stuff.  Don't do Tik-Tok etc. I think a lot of the issues society has today is loss of community and real friends.  Everyone has 1,000 fake social media friends.

I managed to stay away from social media but I was watching a guy in front of me on a plane  swipe through dozens of pictures of new cars, vacations pics, campers, I asked swmbo if this is for real do people really post every purchase to the internet to look good. And she said yes. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

I managed to stay away from social media but I was watching a guy in front of me on a plane  swipe through dozens of pictures of new cars, vacations pics, campers, I asked swmbo if this is for real do people really post every purchase to the internet to look good. And she said yes. 
    I post purchases and stuff here, because I like this group.  Fairly judgement-free and fun to share things with, because people here aren't competing with each other and we all love to see cool things.

I don't post or share any of that on my social accounts because people can be super judgy and ****.  Business, horses, cooks, puppies, and sunsets.  All things that don't upset people.

• GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,807
    edited October 2023
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

On the money; no pun intended. 

I have a friend who is a physician; his wife has a fairly modest job, but her parents are extremely wealthy (with lavish properties in a few countries). They are fairly young (him: mid-40s; her: 40), their mortgage is paid and neither one really needs to work. Despite this, they drive older, modest cars (i.e., a Carolla and a Rav 4) that show signs of wear. He does his own yard work in old duds despite the fact that the neighbours all hire services. No semblance of bling from this couple in any aspect of their lives. I so admire how they live. My father, while not wealthy, is much the same. Some people know how to live well within their means. More of us need to learn this lesson. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

On the money; no pun intended. 

I have a friend who is a physician; his wife has a fairly modest job, but her parents are extremely wealthy (with lavish properties in a few countries). They are fairly young (him: mid-40s; her: 40), their mortgage is paid and neither one really needs to work. Despite this, they drive older, modest cars (i.e., a Carolla and a Rav 4) that show signs of wear. He does his own yard work in old duds despite the fact that the neighbours all hire services. No semblance of bling from this couple in any aspect of their lives. I so admire how they live. My father, while not wealthy, is much the same. Some people know how to live well within their means. 
    My wife's grandfather's brother (so grand uncle) was a founding member of an Oil& Mining company.  He always wore coveralls and drove an old beater station wagon (even when he was worth north of $200M).  Well, one day he drove down to the local general store and had them put a cigar on his line of credit.  The owner went to the back and called his wife and asked if it was okay that the "gardener" was putting a cigar on her tab!  They all had a good laugh over that. He never let it go to his head.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    Saw this posted on Reddit a few hours ago.  One of only 44 yellow Carrera GTs in North America!?  That is in the $1.5M+ price bracket.  Terrible way to spend a Sunday. OP said it happened earlier today.

• Saw this posted on Reddit a few hours ago.  One of only 44 yellow Carrera GTs in North America!?  That is in the $1.5M+ price bracket.  Terrible way to spend a Sunday. OP said it happened earlier today.

The view is good from here, but I’m guessing another angle may indicate collision(?). 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Saw this posted on Reddit a few hours ago.  One of only 44 yellow Carrera GTs in North America!?  That is in the $1.5M+ price bracket.  Terrible way to spend a Sunday. OP said it happened earlier today.

The view is good from here, but I’m guessing another angle may indicate collision(?). 

This is the car Paul Walker was killed in.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010
    Is that a really oddball retractable wing, or a somewhat oddball roll bar?  
    And who the heck is Paul Walker?  :confused:  

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• Dobie
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

I have the book and read it, it’s dated info but solid data from extensive research. I thought the part about high earning doctors being among the worst at retaining wealth was interesting. They didn’t invest well, spent exorbitantly and figured they would always be able to just earn more. I live well below my means, that’s why my car is not in this thread. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Corv
    Corv Posts: 417
    I saw that a lot in CA. The home prices were too high to easily buy for a lot of folks, so they'd rent and put their money into fancy cars. I've read the book... in fact some friends have it now. I was sitting on some of their very nice patio furniture and happened to remark that their patio set was worth more than all the furniture in my house. They scoffed, but it was true. That's when I offered them the book.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Corv said:
    I saw that a lot in CA. The home prices were too high to easily buy for a lot of folks, so they'd rent and put their money into fancy cars. I've read the book... in fact some friends have it now. I was sitting on some of their very nice patio furniture and happened to remark that their patio set was worth more than all the furniture in my house. They scoffed, but it was true. That's when I offered them the book.
    You should see my wife's bag collection.  I am pretty sure those are not a part of proper financial planning.

However, anything considered a luxury, if we can't put cash on the barrel head, we don't buy.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    @Ozzie_Isaac - that's boatload of cash on big barrel heads for those Porsches.  =) Of course luxury classification is in the eyes of the buyer! 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,010
    Dobie said:
    I thought the part about high earning doctors being among the worst at retaining wealth was interesting. They didn’t invest well, spent exorbitantly and figured they would always be able to just earn more. I live well below my means, that’s why my car is not in this thread. 
    Interesting point.  
    I thought I had my career/wealth path all mapped out, but then did not get promoted to USAF Major in 1994; what a gut-punch.  Did have a civ job offer within a week, but I was scared to death; moved to UT and bought a small house for five figures (now worth/taxed at $290K).  
    Moved up a bit over the next 26 years, but with two more gut-punches.  Joined the USAFR enlisted (after a two-year effort to retain my being an officer); retired from AFR in 2012, but since you retire at the highest rank held, I'm a retired Captain (note to civilians: a USAF Captain is only an 03, a Navy Captain (we have at least two here on the forum) is an 06).  
    was able to retire before I turned 60 (by two weeks) and, oddly, am making more money now than when I was working, house paid off 14 years ago, and a 7-figure nest egg which I'll probably never touch.  I do wish I had a slightly bigger kitchen, larger garage and a much bigger woodshop, but after living here 28 years probably won't move again until they slide me under the sod.  
    I AM wondering if I shouldn't have been spending just a bit more during my good years... I've had two PEs in the last 7 years and can't hike/ski anymore, and don't date anymore either.  No kids to endow, so what was the point of saving so hard?  

Never quite understood the "keeping up with the neighbors" thing; it really didn't matter to me.  Helps that I'm an extreme introvert, and would rather not talk to anybody at all at this point.  

I'd come around, every once in awhile,

Or if I ever needed a reason to smile,

Or spend the night, if you think I should...     TR

• Ozzie_Isaac
    edited October 2023
    lousubcap said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac - that's boatload of cash on big barrel heads for those Porsches.  =) Of course luxury classification is in the eyes of the buyer! 
    Ha!  Yeah, luxury line may have been blurred there.  We put down enough to cover depreciation for the first few years.  Save the rest for business opportunities ;)

And I make my own rules in my stories 🤣🤣🤣

@Botch you got us!  We can help you spend that nest egg and enjoy the next few decades in style!

• @Botch I still think you should get a couple of corgis to keep you busy. You might meet @mrsbotch at the dog park and she might have a basement suitable for a large wood shop! 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• I am terminally focked when it comes to bling, in farming it really doesn’t matter how much money I make it will never be enough. I spent well into six figures burying plastic pipe to improve drainage last spring and you will never see it. If I had an extra 80k laying around I would build a bin to store corn. If not that I could use a 100k truck, or semi truck and trailer, or tractor or combine, it never ends.  I am content, enjoying the journey.  A guy that punches the clock looks at my life and thinks I’m living the dream, a mega farmer wonders why I even bother. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629

I don't believe I've ever seen a Bimini top on a offshore speed cat...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Dobie
    Botch said:
    I AM wondering if I shouldn't have been spending just a bit more during my good years... I've had two PEs in the last 7 years and can't hike/ski anymore, and don't date anymore either.  No kids to endow, so what was the point of saving so hard?  

The balancing act for working people is always subjective and not easy to define. Im also introverted but fortunately married to a very social woman, I don’t really have any friends but I have her and her friends are enough for me. I tend to be the one who takes more risk with investments etc but to make money to further invest and add to the net worth. We didn’t have any kids, both work and have no heirs. We were broke when we married 29 years ago and lived paycheck to paycheck. I always knew I would not stay that way. I wanted financial security and ultimately financial independence. I will admit I have spent too much of my life making a living than making memories. It’s paying off on paper as I plan to retire in the next 5 to 10 years comfortably barring some unforeseen crisis but the sacrifices made and continue to be made in search of that peace of mind has its own cost to working class people. Time is the thing you really can’t buy or get back, the truly wealthy have lots of it. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    billt01 said:

In AZ we don't have any lakes you can really open boats of this caliber up on and let them eat.

You mostly let the engines burble along menacingly, then peg them for maybe 45 seconds at the most.  Then settle back down for the rest of the afternoon.  Shade is key for that type of work.

• Corv
    Corv Posts: 417
    edited October 2023
    Botch said:

.....No kids to endow, so what was the point of saving so hard?  ....
    I'm older, too, and have made a serious effort to make younger friends. It's working - right now I have 4 friends my age and 5 friends a generation (in one case, 2 generations) younger than me. Plus I mentor at a local high school.
    Lots of fun and plenty of good people to leave things to.
    How to do it? It helps that I live in a community with a university. There are young people around. I just seem to meet them from time to time. Seems that in one way or another, they are or were all neighbors. Since I live in a cheaper part of town, this is a good place to meet people. If I lived fancy I never would have had these friends.
    Sorry for drifting off the general topic of cars here.
    Somewhere on the Colorado Front Range
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    billt01 said:

In AZ we don't have any lakes you can really open boats of this caliber up on and let them eat.

You mostly let the engines burble along menacingly, then peg them for maybe 45 seconds at the most.  Then settle back down for the rest of the afternoon.  Shade is key for that type of work.

i get buzzed by these things on the lake alot, not sure if that one could get 18 miles to the other side of the lake and get back without filling up again... im just upstream from one of the marinas, seen these fill up a few times in a day at marina cost gas. 100 gallons at 10 a gallon two or three times a day while i putt around trolling across the lake and back on less than 3 gallons. i dont see the point of it. sometimes they get together and hire and follow a helicopter....oh the fun =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    lousubcap said:
    @kl8ton Mystery solved as I use Firefox and don't get the option to search image in Google.  When I switched to Chrome the option is available.  And here I gave you such credit.  =)

atleast now i now to switch from firefox to chrome. the beauty of the pc, i still have to use aol from time to time on some sites to work properly which is mind blowing
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Foghorn said:
    Dobie said:
    lousubcap said:

Yes this is my point. My vehicle, while very nice will be in my possession for a minimum of 10 years, long after it's paid off. Meanwhile most of these folks I live around will have changed vehicles 5 times in that same period. Every fall like clockwork they get the latest Escalade or Range Rover and we aren't talking leases here. 

My son plays golf for the PGA Jr. league, all I hear on Sundays during tournaments is how so and so is "summering" in Vail or Jackson Hole. But it's odd I never hear anything from them about saving or investments. This city is the poster child of instagram and Facebook wealth. Don't get me wrong, the folks are loaded, but there is a lot of fluff in it too.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    @Botch- time to travel and spend that coin.  There are packages out there (way above my orbit) that will basically do everything for you except the tourist/sight seeing piece.  A round the world cruise on a small cruise line would take around 180 days and help put a hurt on your nest egg. I'm sure you have given the above some thought but go while you have some mobility. 
    Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.