Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - For Car Lovers: Some Recent Exotic Spottings

Comments

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,600
    Custom autos by Tim stretches those excursions and builds newer ones from newer f series trucks.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Plaid

I like the plate. 
  • kl8ton said:
    Custom autos by Tim stretches those excursions and builds newer ones from newer f series trucks.

http://www.customautosbytim.com/
    The oil field had a f-350 centurion rolling around town growing up, we called it “the six pack” 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2023
    Went to a Mercedes dealership in the DFW area this weekend with a buddy who was buying his wife a new car. They had this in the show room.  My jaw hit the floor when I saw the sticker.  It’s an invitation only kind of purchase.   It was so jacked up I’m not sure if I could climb into it. lol
    There's a line of those at my kids school every morning. I don't even notice anymore cause they are like suburbans out here. You know it's crazy when the guy driving the $70k Lexus looks like he's slumming it. The only "exotics" I tend to notice nowadays are classic cars. 

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,629
    dmourati said:
    Be sure to let us know what she chooses, @Ozzie_Isaac.

Spotted this one on a walk home from brunch. Kinda dig the power wagons.

Went to test drive one but apparently the sales manager and I didn't vibe. I went with a Cayenne instead.
    Funny, we have been to Audi, Mercedes, and Range Rover (won't do BMW for personal reasons). I had similar experiences.  Just didn't vibe with them, Audi couldn't find anyone to help, Mercedes was very nice, but I didn't like how the AMG GLE 63 drove, and the salesman wasn't passionate about it and knew very little about it.  The Range Rover lady was nice at first, but as we were trying to see what allocations they had, she said she needed to leave to go to dinner at 5pm.  So that kind of ended that discussion, she tried to reach back out, but by then we had moved on.

Then we went to Porsche.  The sales guy was super passionate, and just as an enthusiast, not as a salesperson.  Made him super easy to talk to.  He showed me the GT3RS, GT4RS, standard GT3, and was telling me all about them.  He even fired up the GT4RS on the showroom floor.  I have always loved Porsche, just had been out of reach.

We eventually settled on a 2024 Cayenne Coupe in Chalk that was gorgeous.  They tinted the windows, detailed it, and got it ready to pick up today.  Then last night my wife asked, "Do you think we should get the Cayenne S?"  As fate would have it, they had one dropped yesterday evening (I know it wasn't here before because we had seen everything and he showed me the drop slip dated yesterday).  I messaged the sales guy at 10PM and asked about it.  He said it just came in and he thought it was a customer allocation, because all 6 they had received previously were customer allocations.  Well, this morning I get an excited text saying it wasn't allocated and he sent me a bunch of photos.  We drove down to check it out.  Couldn't drive it because it was still in nerfed "delivery" mode.  My wife and I talked about it for about 30 minutes, then they bought us lunch while they worked up some numbers.  In the end, the cold start rumble, massaging front seats, and two-tone leather treatment won the wife over.  The one thing she didn't like were the wheels.  I talked to them because the Coupe we were supposed to buy had the wheels we wanted.  Their manager wouldn't switch them out (I don't blame him it messes up his build sheets, but I wanted to ask anyway).  They came back and said they could paint them any color we wanted.  They do that occasionally for some of their other clients.  So, we picked the same satin black that was on the 911 GT3. Only issue is now we have to wait till Monday.  Either way I am like a kid waiting for Christmas, so is the wife.

This particular dealer had an exceptional dealer experience.  Hopefully it lasts, because I am finally getting a dream car in the stable.  The wife was even looking at the 911s for something down the road.

Here are the wheels we liked (same ones on the one we bought, just painted gloss black. We are getting Satin black because I think it goes better with the black trim pieces and won't show dust as bad):

German horses run differently than domestic ones..
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,137
    billt01 said:
    dmourati said:
    Be sure to let us know what she chooses, @Ozzie_Isaac.

Spotted this one on a walk home from brunch. Kinda dig the power wagons.

Went to test drive one but apparently the sales manager and I didn't vibe. I went with a Cayenne instead.
    Funny, we have been to Audi, Mercedes, and Range Rover (won't do BMW for personal reasons). I had similar experiences.  Just didn't vibe with them, Audi couldn't find anyone to help, Mercedes was very nice, but I didn't like how the AMG GLE 63 drove, and the salesman wasn't passionate about it and knew very little about it.  The Range Rover lady was nice at first, but as we were trying to see what allocations they had, she said she needed to leave to go to dinner at 5pm.  So that kind of ended that discussion, she tried to reach back out, but by then we had moved on.

Then we went to Porsche.  The sales guy was super passionate, and just as an enthusiast, not as a salesperson.  Made him super easy to talk to.  He showed me the GT3RS, GT4RS, standard GT3, and was telling me all about them.  He even fired up the GT4RS on the showroom floor.  I have always loved Porsche, just had been out of reach.

We eventually settled on a 2024 Cayenne Coupe in Chalk that was gorgeous.  They tinted the windows, detailed it, and got it ready to pick up today.  Then last night my wife asked, "Do you think we should get the Cayenne S?"  As fate would have it, they had one dropped yesterday evening (I know it wasn't here before because we had seen everything and he showed me the drop slip dated yesterday).  I messaged the sales guy at 10PM and asked about it.  He said it just came in and he thought it was a customer allocation, because all 6 they had received previously were customer allocations.  Well, this morning I get an excited text saying it wasn't allocated and he sent me a bunch of photos.  We drove down to check it out.  Couldn't drive it because it was still in nerfed "delivery" mode.  My wife and I talked about it for about 30 minutes, then they bought us lunch while they worked up some numbers.  In the end, the cold start rumble, massaging front seats, and two-tone leather treatment won the wife over.  The one thing she didn't like were the wheels.  I talked to them because the Coupe we were supposed to buy had the wheels we wanted.  Their manager wouldn't switch them out (I don't blame him it messes up his build sheets, but I wanted to ask anyway).  They came back and said they could paint them any color we wanted.  They do that occasionally for some of their other clients.  So, we picked the same satin black that was on the 911 GT3. Only issue is now we have to wait till Monday.  Either way I am like a kid waiting for Christmas, so is the wife.

This particular dealer had an exceptional dealer experience.  Hopefully it lasts, because I am finally getting a dream car in the stable.  The wife was even looking at the 911s for something down the road.

Here are the wheels we liked (same ones on the one we bought, just painted gloss black. We are getting Satin black because I think it goes better with the black trim pieces and won't show dust as bad):

German horses run differently than domestic ones..
    This thing revs stupid fast and the shifts are super quick.  Can't even imagine what Porsche PDK feels like.  It is a ton of fun, but sadly I have been blacklisted from it.

I drove it to the office the other day, then ended up at a happy hour, then gave some friends rides.

Wife was very unhappy, especially because I also had both sets of Jeep keys with me for some odd reason.  She had to borrow our daughter's car.  She was suitably pissed.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• Went to a Mercedes dealership in the DFW area this weekend with a buddy who was buying his wife a new car. They had this in the show room.  My jaw hit the floor when I saw the sticker.  It’s an invitation only kind of purchase.   It was so jacked up I’m not sure if I could climb into it. lol
    There's a line of those at my kids school every morning. I don't even notice anymore cause they are like suburbans out here. You know it's crazy when the guy driving the $70k Lexus looks like he's slumming it. The only "exotics" I tend to notice nowadays are classic cars. 
    Definitely need a picture of this line. For us that live in the slums, we still appreciate seeing 250k+ SUV’s lined up. 
    Snellville, GA

• Ozzie_Isaac

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,503
    Went to a Mercedes dealership in the DFW area this weekend with a buddy who was buying his wife a new car. They had this in the show room.  My jaw hit the floor when I saw the sticker.  It’s an invitation only kind of purchase.   It was so jacked up I’m not sure if I could climb into it. lol
    Talk about the challenge of "keeping up with the Joneses" from a few years back.  Sad your self-esteem is measured in large part by the ride your kid takes to school prior to the license.  And once he/she can drive-WDIB rolls in.  (Who's Richard is bigger.)  No wonder we have the dominant "It's all about I/me" rolling thru society today. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 10,012
    lousubcap said:
    Talk about the challenge of "keeping up with the Joneses" from a few years back.  Sad your self-esteem is measured in large part by the ride your kid takes to school prior to the license.  And once he/she can drive-WDIB rolls in.  (Who's Richard is bigger.)  No wonder we have the dominant "It's all about I/me" rolling thru society today. 
    Yeah.  This reminds me of something that my father (a used car salesman son of a used car salesman - although my dad eventually became a postal worker) taught me.  "The worst thing that ever happened to piano sales was the invention of the automobile."  Prior to having a status symbol that you could park in your driveway, the piano - ideally a grand piano in a bay window that all the neighbors could see - was the status symbol that people bought to impress the neighbors.  (I'm pretty sure I've posted this before somewhere here so apologies to any who remember it)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited October 2023
    lousubcap said:
    Talk about the challenge of "keeping up with the Joneses" from a few years back.  Sad your self-esteem is measured in large part by the ride your kid takes to school prior to the license.  And once he/she can drive-WDIB rolls in.  (Whose Richard is bigger.)  No wonder we have the dominant "It's all about I/me" rolling thru society today. 
    Im not saying this because of some low self
    esteem issue. I'm doing fine financially but I don't even try to "keep up with the joneses" out here. Id have to be a low end millionaire just to scratch the surface. My wife and I both have to work. 

The car situation is the result of the fact that I live in the wealthiest county in Texas. That's all 95% of the people out here do is compete for who has the most wealth, It's their Hobby. 

That was my point, I'm sitting in what most would deem to be a very nice car and I look like im parking my dented KIA Rio at Walmart. There are 16 year old kids out here with brand new Corvettes and Platinum F-250s or Range Rovers. Maybe I misunderstood your reply but it ain't me with the self esteem issues its these 1%ers that I live around.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited October 2023
    Definitely need a picture of this line. For us that live in the slums, we still appreciate seeing 250k+ SUV’s lined up. 
    I'll try to get one next week. Today I was behind 4 Escalades, a Nimbus GWagon, a Rangerover Overfinch, and the local Realtor that drops his kid off in his Ferrari 458. To be fair there was a Tahoe and a F150 behind me.

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,326
    I'll try to get one next week. Today I was behind 4 Escalades, a Nimbus GWagon, a Rangerover Overfinch, and the local Realtor that drops his kid off in his Ferrari 458. To be fair there was a Tahoe and a F150 behind me.
    @TEXASBGE2018 - You've posted pictures of your "Kia" and how you use it.  Curious to know if you ever see those 1%er vehicles when you are off-roading?

LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,807
    edited October 2023
    @TEXASBGE2018

One way to look at it - one could be proud to have come from relatively modest means in an area surrounded by people who were possibly (likely?) born into it. I’ve always felt that one can appreciate it infinitely more if they had to earn it, regardless of where they ultimately end up sitting financially. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited October 2023
    dbCooper said:
    @TEXASBGE2018 - You've posted pictures of your "Kia" and how you use it.  Curious to know if you ever see those 1%er vehicles when you are off-roading?

I've seen an older GWagon here and there but lately it's mostly been poorly lifted Broncos with paper tags still on getting dented doors from their clueless owners trying to go up rocky inclines at 30mph.

• Kids should ride the bus 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• @Foghorn

I had read your prior post about that in the past and greatly enjoy seeing it again. Insightful. As I think I relayed, my wife is a professional pianist and so she bought a grand piano (technically, a “large grand” but much smaller than what you would see in an orchestra) while in university - funded entirely by her as a result of years of hard work and long hours teaching while also a student. It now sits in our living room and she uses it almost exclusively for work. I wish she played more for pleasure. 

We know many people with grands (parked in the window, as you’ve described) - none of whom play. I would say that it remains a status symbol in some circles, though probably to a much lesser extent than it was during your father’s (and his father’s) heyday, and to your point, certainly less than cars, nowadays. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac

• Crockett’s house, or Tubbs’ ?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380

Seems like the perfect desert boat.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• kl8ton
    Drove by my house.  Don't know what it is.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    Reverse image search says 

KARMA REVERO

Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    @kl8ton - solid detective work right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • kl8ton
    lousubcap said:
    @kl8ton - solid detective work right there. 

@lousubcap

Right click (or whatever you do on an Apple if applicable) any pic on the web and Search image with Google.  
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    edited October 2023
    @kl8ton Mystery solved as I use Firefox and don't get the option to search image in Google.  When I switched to Chrome the option is available.  And here I gave you such credit.  =)
  • lousubcap
    That one of your BIL's rides?
  • @lousubcap

Yes. We were at his place for Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. We watched this review of the GT3 - a pretty good channel by a few fellow Canucks - https://youtu.be/3HuZviMoEkc?si=3mOE68U4BKfgXwXx. Watched it in his indoor cigar lounge with some Scotch before a fantastic smoked turkey by another B-I-L, who does turkeys perfectly year after year. No pictures of any of that. 

• Scotch before a fantastic smoked turkey by another B-I-L, who does turkeys perfectly year after year. No pictures of any of that. 
    Obviously it didn’t happen then!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    A shot for you, @ozzie_isaac

Nice!!  You BiL has it going on.