Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CIDRAP Podcast on reopening schools this fall

Options

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Interesting that Canada is expecting to open the schools in the fall.  Of course, their daily case counts and death totals are a fraction of ours.  I wonder what they got so right that we got so wrong?
    Lot less people and lots of space maybe? Have you ever ventured to examine the precious data and maybe separate the densely populated areas from the rural areas? Maybe they didn’t send sick elderly people back to the nursing homes? Maybe they count actual deaths that can be attributed to the virus in lieu of every death that can heaped on regardless of the extenuating circumstances. I’m not sure, it’s a real puzzle. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Maybe, just maybe I am looking at the schooling issue in the wrong light.

Around here, we close school for the protection of our children, educators and staff to predictions of bad weather.

However, with a deadly virus, 150,000 lives lost thus far, we decide to experiment with the lives of our children, educators and staff.

Infections are spreading exponentially. Anyone want to predict what is going to happen?
    We have pretty good evidence and it suggest the risk is extremely low. For the kids it’s waaay lower than the regular seasonal flu. For the staff, the risk of transmission from child to adult is non existent. So we are talking about just the adult to adult transmission. Seems manageable to me. No greater than any other part of life. Far less than a trip to a big box store. But then again, I’m not deranged and hysterically frightened. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    YukonRon said:

Around here, we close school for the protection of our children, educators and staff to predictions of bad weather.

However, with a deadly virus, 150,000 lives lost thus far, we decide to experiment with the lives of our children, educators and staff.

Infections are spreading exponentially. Anyone want to predict what is going to happen?
    We have pretty good evidence and it suggest the risk is extremely low. For the kids it’s waaay lower than the regular seasonal flu. For the staff, the risk of transmission from child to adult is non existent. So we are talking about just the adult to adult transmission. Seems manageable to me. No greater than any other part of life. Far less than a trip to a big box store. But then again, I’m not deranged and hysterically frightened. 
    One outa two ain't bad!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Interesting that Canada is expecting to open the schools in the fall.  Of course, their daily case counts and death totals are a fraction of ours.  I wonder what they got so right that we got so wrong?
    Lot less people and lots of space maybe? Have you ever ventured to examine the precious data and maybe separate the densely populated areas from the rural areas? Maybe they didn’t send sick elderly people back to the nursing homes? Maybe they count actual deaths that can be attributed to the virus in lieu of every death that can heaped on regardless of the extenuating circumstances. I’m not sure, it’s a real puzzle. 
    What I wrote applies on a *per capita* basis.  As for the rest, well, you might want to give your daily dose of Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity a rest there, bud.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Interesting that Canada is expecting to open their schools in the fall.  Of course, their daily case counts and death totals are a fraction of ours.  I wonder what they got so right that we got so wrong?
    Thinking the term "volumes" might be used here.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • pgprescott
    Options
    What I wrote applies on a *per capita* basis.  As for the rest, well, you might want to give your daily dose of Tucker Carlson and Sean Hannity a rest there, bud.

Your kids staying home in perpetuity? Stay home until vaccine? Or are your sending them to school? 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Of course. It stands to reason densely populated areas will experience higher rates, not just higher totals. Duh! It’s a virus! 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    YukonRon said:

One outa two ain't bad!
    Wait a minute! You mean me or Ron? 🤣
  • pgprescott
    Options
    hey, like I said, I don’t have to worry about it. Good luck. I’m sure it’ll work out fine for you. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Derangend and hysterically frightened?

Seriously. Your total response boiled down to name calling.

Classy as always.

Stay safe and stay well to you and your family.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Dondgc
    Dondgc Posts: 709
    Options
    SciAggie said:

TL;DR - The situation sucks and everybody is angry.
     So true. 
    New Orleans LA
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Interesting that Canada is expecting to open their schools in the fall.  Of course, their daily case counts and death totals are a fraction of ours.  I wonder what they got so right that we got so wrong?
    About 1/9th the population density for starters.

Canada: 4/km^2
    US: 35/km^2

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-by-density

That and a functioning federal government.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited July 2020
    Options
    YukonRon said:

See Nola's link, above.   :|

EDIT:  Er, previous page.  

EDIT 2:  Especially you, Pete.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Botch
    edited July 2020
    Options
    dmourati said:

The link didn't work for me, but thanks for quoting the bolded portion.

That's a misleading portrayal.  Most of the population in Canada is concentrated towards the south, closer to the US border.  I've been to both Toronto and Winnipeg, and they look just like a large, and a medium, city in the US, respectively (Montreal was on my bucket list, for this year, but the pandemic has modded my plans  ;) ).    

I will agree 100% with your final statement, sadly.  

• JohnInCarolina
    edited July 2020
    Options

Your kids staying home in perpetuity? Stay home until vaccine? Or are your sending them to school? 
    That is what the pros would call a non sequitur.

But if you must know, Durham has closed public schools indefinitely.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    dmourati said:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/countries-by-density

You can compare the statistics in their major metropolitan areas as well.  There are plenty of large cities in Canada.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Of course. It stands to reason densely populated areas will experience higher rates, not just higher totals. Duh! It’s a virus! 
    Duh! indeed.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Well, so much for dissemination of reasoned perspective from an "expert."  Never mind transmission of information upon which to help bound your personal thoughts and perhaps pursue additional insights.
    Let's just devolve into a full-up pi$$ing contest.  And thus the thread mirrors the state of the union.  Frigging sad. The collective "we" could do much better if not so hide-bound,  FWIW-
    Off-soap box.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    caliking said:
    caliking said:
    what about the millions of kids that have been in daycare facilities for months now as they have been deemed essential? Should they all go home? Just want them to be safe of course. How have they not all been in ICU by now? Something just doesn’t add up but I can’t put my finger on it. Huh? 
    In the podcast Osterholm actually talks about how the little kids haven't been the engine of infection we'd normally expect during say a typical influenza season.  Did you listen to it?
    It wasn’t a serious question John. The serious question is why one would expect school environment to be any different? Does the virus spread from child to adult? Did he point out that the mortality for children is FAR greater with normal influenza? Have the daycare workers been rushed to the ICU? Fear is powerful. Are all the teachers currently quarantined at home? Have they all been diligent in their protocols? If not, why are they not All sick already? What is the actual number of cases in US? Not just the ones confirmed by testing. I’m just very glad my kids are through school. We are totally screwing them. 
    Well, I would suggest maybe giving the podcast a listen.  
    Nah. Drivel. 
    :rofl: simple minds?
    Go ahead and address the questions. All you guys do is fear monger and cherry pick. 

Do the children infect the adults?

Is there a single documented case? 

Has there been serious outbreaks at the child care facilities that are all over the place and far less regulated? 

it’s real easy to throw out a general statement like “compromise the staff” which is meaningless and vague. Intentionally so in believe. These people have been “compromised” for six months now. 

It’s sad. The damage done by the fear mongering is monumental. It’s infuriating and I’m not even affected by it at all. I can’t imagine what it’s like to be in the muck. 

Wish you and your family all the best. It says all I need to hear that you personally are sending your child to his school. End of story. 
    You exemplify why we continue to stumble about trying to get a handle on this. 

My choice to send my kid to school, is based on critical review of available data. I've seen a few memes and FB posts purporting to be that, but a little voice told me look beyond those sources. It may have been nola, but I dunno. 
    Typical. Nothing. 

Well, I accept your critical review and think we all should follow your carefully considered example. I just hope your decision doesn’t put the staff at risk. I’d hate to have you compromise the staff by sending your child to school. I’m sure you agree, you said as much earlier.  
    I also hope that our choice doesn't put anyone else at increased risk.

And I also wish reading comprehension was what it used to be. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options

“There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • pgprescott
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Well, so much for dissemination of reasoned perspective from an "expert."  Never mind transmission of information upon which to help bound your personal thoughts and perhaps pursue additional insights.
    Let's just devolve into a full-up pi$$ing contest.  And thus the thread mirrors the state of the union.  Frigging sad. The collective "we" could do much better if not so hide-bound,  FWIW-
    Off-soap box.
    Problem being that all the “experts” have recanted and/or contradicted themselves repeatedly for months and months. It is not unreasonable to question their veracity. I am amused by the certainty at which they have delivered their drivel. Also amazed when they offer no explanation for a full course change in direction. It’s unbelievable. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Derangend and hysterically frightened?

Seriously. Your total response boiled down to name calling.

Classy as always.

Stay safe and stay well to you and your family.
    Uh, no. 

But I would expect you to overlook everything but what you wish to confront. That’s the “cherry picking” I eluded to earlier. 

Be well also. 
  • pgprescott
    Options

Do your kids go to the public schools? 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Yes they do, Pete.  My wife and I happen to believe in them.  We’re old school that way I guess.  I suppose it might have something to do with us both having attended them ourselves.
  • Botch
    Options
    There is no stronger argument for an "Ignore" button than @pgprescott
    's last eight posts or so.  

Please, Mr. Buffalo?  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Yes they do, Pete.  My wife and I happen to believe in them.  We’re old school that way I guess.  I suppose it might have something to do with us both having attended them ourselves.
    Is *crickets* spelled with one t or two?

The whole battle of the wits vs. the unarmed thing. Pity eventually overwhelms me, and I lose stamina. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.

I read that on a napkin or something recently.
  • RockyTopDW
    RockyTopDW Posts: 338
    Options
    I can’t help but think that after the election, whatever the result, the Covid hysteria will die down.  I fear the economic results more than the results of the virus.  We can’t sustain the current plan of indefinitely closing down businesses. I’m doing my part and wearing a mask, but tend to think this is being sensationalized by the media.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I can’t help but think that after the election, whatever the result, the Covid hysteria will die down.  I fear the economic results more than the results of the virus.  We can’t sustain the current plan of indefinitely closing down businesses. I’m doing my part and wearing a mask, but tend to think this is being sensationalized by the media.  
    What’s the death count now?