Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Please Stay Home

Options

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Very explicit content but I couldn't say it any better myself. 

https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    caliking said:
    My wife is a CRNA as well Mike.  Not only are they the ones doing what's described above, they are also the one's telling dip-sheet surgeons that the cases they are trying to push through are not critical and cancel the cases.  It's amazing how many surgeons across the country are doing this.  One was trying to get a c-section done on a woman who was 35 weeks pregnant because she didn't want to risk there not being any blood available in case something went wrong.  You might ask why would an OB doctor be worried about this, they wouldn't.  The patient is having their family practice doctor do it.  That's right, people still use family practice doctor's for major surgeries.
    As a health care worker and a surgeon, all of the above is true. I have a tremendous amount of respect for my anesthesia colleagues and our group has been doing our best to support them. But it’s unfair to characterize all surgeons as “trying to push through” cases. Our hospital does over 500 elective surgeries a month. All of the surgeons across every specialty voluntarily stopped every elective, non-critical procedure 4 days before we were mandated to by our national leadership. We have surgeons volunteering to learn critical care medicine to support patients on ventilators and to work in the ER screening people. And yes, I still have to take call. I’m still the one that gets called when you need it most. We’re not all “dip-sheets.” Some of us get up every day, put ourselves in harms way, and then potentially bring that harm home to our families and children. 

Right now we need more positivity in the world. I’d ask for some grace and patience with our health care workers. Your support goes a long way. Thank you so much to everyone who has donated supplies. Your kindness is not unnoticed. 

Stay kind. Stay calm. Wash your hands. We can beat this. 
    I’ll add a +1 to this. Many of us are making hard decisions, in different spheres of life. Out of compulsion. Out of need. Out of a sense of duty to others. 

Not a surgeon, but all non emergent cases have been cancelled here. Last week, chief of Anesthesiology called to discuss cancelling procedures, and I couldn’t cancel one in good conscience. She asked one question - would I want the procedure done if it were my child, and the answer was an immediate “yes“ for this one. The kid in question had been bouncing around from doctor to doctor, and suffering, for 3 years. I couldn’t say that it would be okay for her to suffer a few months longer. 

I may have taken a risk. Maybe not. But I don’t regret it. 
    Yeah, 2 weeks ago we started using the criteria of "Will the patient sustain any significant disability, discomfort, or worse outcome if the case is delayed 90 days?".  Based on that one of our surgical oncologists cancelled 9 of her 10 planned thyroid cases - but did the large goiter that was causing some symptoms.  Our elective surgeons cancelled about 80% of their scheduled hernia operations and only did the most symptomatic or those most at risk of incarcerating and obstructing.  Most cancer operations (except thyroid as that rarely kills people and a 90 day delay isn't a problem) continued if the patient wanted to - many did not.  However, some of the private groups (dip-sheets?) saw this as an opportunity to do even more cases and gain market share.  That must have been going on in other cities around the state because earlier this week the Texas Medical Board came out with a statement that anybody continuing to do purely elective cases would risk loss of license.
    I had heard about the Texas Medical Board decision b/c my wife's best friend is a CRNA at a physician's owned hospital in the Houston area.  They were doing exactly what you said in that they were taking advantage of the opportunity.  And let's just say they are using the term "discomfort" very loosely.  Finally Friday the anesthesia department threatened to walk out.  We'll see how this places out.

I'm hearing of this happen other places too, not just in TX.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    However, some of the private groups (dip-sheets?) saw this as an opportunity to do even more cases and gain market share.  That must have been going on in other cities around the state because earlier this week the Texas Medical Board came out with a statement that anybody continuing to do purely elective cases would risk loss of license.
    Good grief.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    Went to Home Depot yesterday. Needed something for work as we are food manufacturers and are essential. 150 people there shopping like it was a regular weekend. Couldn’t believe it 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Yeah, 2 weeks ago we started using the criteria of "Will the patient sustain any significant disability, discomfort, or worse outcome if the case is delayed 90 days?".  Based on that one of our surgical oncologists cancelled 9 of her 10 planned thyroid cases - but did the large goiter that was causing some symptoms.  Our elective surgeons cancelled about 80% of their scheduled hernia operations and only did the most symptomatic or those most at risk of incarcerating and obstructing.  Most cancer operations (except thyroid as that rarely kills people and a 90 day delay isn't a problem) continued if the patient wanted to - many did not.  However, some of the private groups (dip-sheets?) saw this as an opportunity to do even more cases and gain market share.  That must have been going on in other cities around the state because earlier this week the Texas Medical Board came out with a statement that anybody continuing to do purely elective cases would risk loss of license.
    Glad to hear the Texas review board is taking it seriously, hopefully other states are as well.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    Options
    Scrabblewordfinder.org website crashed... 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Went to Home Depot yesterday. Needed something for work as we are food manufacturers and are essential. 150 people there shopping like it was a regular weekend. Couldn’t believe it 
    The Home Depots here are only allowing a few in at a time. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Hahahaha. No ****, parking lot full. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    I didn't see it for myself but my understanding is that Costco is doing the same.  Might be nation-wide.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    I didn't see it for myself but my understanding is that Costco is doing the same.  Might be nation-wide.  
    I went to Costco today, haven’t been in a month. Got there early around 915 and they were already open. Had a disinfection station set up to give everyone a wiped down cart. Not busy as most were not out so not limiting entry while I was there. Had people wiping down all the common surfaces. Check out was spaced out every other register and only allowing a couple carts per lane to avoid clusters. They’re doing it well. Scored TP paper towels and as much meat  as I can freeze and some non perishable items also. No antibacterial soft soap still and I noticed no pork butts or chicken wings, besides that well stocked. Not planning to go back for a month now.
    Jacksonville FL
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Very explicit content but I couldn't say it any better myself. 

https://youtu.be/e0-2XxgHIXk 
    Fvcking Love It
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
  • Okeejohn
    Okeejohn Posts: 297
    Options
    CTMike said:
    I was texting with a friend who is a nurse-anesthetist. She tells me that she has one N95 mask she’s had to use for two weeks now. Please keep your a$$ at home as much as possible to protect those like her on the front lines.

I agree. I am a nurse practitioner and work in a VA clinic and we have switched to Telemedicine (video or telephone).
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Could be some interesting lawsuits coming with various states blocking travel between other states/cities/etc.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Could be some interesting lawsuits coming with various states blocking travel between other states/cities/etc.

It gets interesting. My state is on the other border of Louisiana, my house is about an 90 minute drive from New Orleans. Many New Orleans natives own second or vacation homes in the two closest towns to the Louisiana State line. It's nothing new, they did the same thing during the Yellow Fever outbreaks back in the 1800's. Telling them to go back to New Orleans would be violating theInterstate Commerce Laws plus several others. Even though most of our cases could be traced back to contact with New Orleans or with cruise ship workers and passengers. Our first confirmed case had come back from a Disney cruise.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I wish I could stay home, but the prisoners cant behave by themselves. I go from home to work, and back again. Our leisure time has been spent on home projects and wandering our property 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I wish I could stay home, but the prisoners cant behave by themselves. I go from home to work, and back again. Our leisure time has been spent on home projects and wandering our property 
    Stay safe man, Rikers is a petri dish.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • CTMike
    edited March 2020
    Options
    HeavyG said:

RI has done the same thing. I live about 10 miles from the RI border near the coast. A friend travelled in to RI to buy groceries as he lives in a border town. A National Guard checkpoint was set up, and because he has CT plates on his car, he was detained for a brief period for some questions. Once he explained what he was doing they let him pass. 

This is because of the CT/NY/NJ travel “advisory” issued by the CDC.

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • CTMike
    Options
    Clearly the folks on this beach, St. John’s County officials, and the Florida Governor are idiots. 

This is from 2 days ago:

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Anyone out there still thinking this is just like H1N1?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    sending a small crew to a local hospital to do some emergency work on their main boiler. masks, a nurse at the receiving dock taking temps and asking travel questions.  outbreak isnt bad here yet but they wont let us use our own masks, not sure hats the best idea.

two dollar tollbooth this morning will take a twenty if you dont have the change and you dont get your 18 dollars back, guess its time to sign up for an easypass.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    CTMike said:
    Clearly the folks on this beach, St. John’s County officials, and the Florida Governor are idiots. 

This is from 2 days ago:

“Florida- a sunny place for shady people.”
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Florida is gonna Florida.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    That guy looks like he hasn't slept in a month.

Interesting af, tho.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    I just read in the paper that we have had the first Corvid fatality in our county. They said that he wasn’t a county or even State resident. The thing was that the hospital that he(or she) died in is about 400 feet from my back door.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I just read in the paper that we have had the first Corvid fatality in our county. They said that he wasn’t a county or even State resident. The thing was that the hospital that he(or she) died in is about 400 feet from my back door.
    Yeah, I don't think you need to worry about that proximity.

What I would worry about tho is your governor is pretty much in the same public safety boat as the president of Brazil.

God help you all.